Dermatology Expert Forum
Moles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Moles

Recently I had some flat moles about half the diameter of a pen cap examined on my cheek and a raised mole by my eye. My doctor said he could make a small incision and punch them out leaving a minimal scar. Do you think I would have a smaller chance of scarring with a laser? Also for a flat my face he used a Gentelase used for hair removal. I have read that this is only used for hair removal and leg veins. Have you heard of it being used for moles before. The mole actually looks a little bigger since it was lasred aweek and a half a go. Would a diolite laser remove these more effectively. Thank you.
Lasers aren't very good for raised things like moles.  Soem lasers take off moles, but not sny better than scalpels or electric needles.  I doubt the GentelLase would change your mole significantly.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Take my advice, mole removal shouldn't leave any scars nowadays. a flat mole should allways be lasered away and a raised one should be flattened down first and then removed using a laser. Also be aware of which laser they use some are much more destructive than others. Dont go to some dermatologists to get pretty, they are specialised in skin deseases like psoriasis or skin cancer. I'd really see a plastic surgeons clinic and dont have anyone cut on your face, you're gonna regret this afterwards seeing some ugly scars in the mirror. But the doc doesn't care. Why not leave em alone. Anyone has them even marilyn monroe. Why should you have them removed??? it's a strange decision.

Greetings, And pls dont trust this doc. look at his typing, you dont wanna have these errors on your face.

Take care and let him rock-off ;)
You can't remove moles effectively with a laser.  Taking them off requires some degree of cutting, which involves at least some scarring.

There--no typos!

Dr. Rockoff
look at www.skincolour.com, it really shouldn't leave a scar. you're worse off
First of all, if a mole is bothesome and the patient wants it off it the risk of scarring must be addressed.  If a mole needs to be removed or the doctor wants to do a biopsy, the risk of a scar outweights the risk of cancer.  The reason lasers shouldn't be used to remove a mole is that the tissue is destroyed and pathology cannot be done to rule out any cancer or malanoma.  Some types of skin cancers look benign.  I don't think a plastic surgeon is better at taking moles off, they aren't used to looking at the skin and checking for cancer or melanoma like the Dermatologist.
Either way, if a mole is taken off for personal reasons, or for medical reasons, pathology should be done.  That way there is no question of what was taken off, it may look like a mole on the surface, but what changes were taking place in the cell?
If I had the option, I'd have my dermatologist remove the mole with excision.  Never laser removal!

i am dilemma right now. i have a mole in the face at the lower left side of my face, it got irritated ad my EENT wants it remove thru incision (am i right with the spelling) and it will have 3 stitches.... my fear is.... wont it be a scar....? its o my face??? im afraid it will be horrible... please help...