Molluscum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Molluscum

My 5 year daughter has been diagnoised with molluscum.  She has had it now for almost a year now, and I want to get rid of them, the problem is they started out on the back of her leg and now have spread to her chest, underarms, buttocks, I don't know what to do anymore.  Her doctor is treating them with Retin-Micro, and some have gone away, my concern is some of them look really sore and a couple of them came to a head and are now healing, my question is how long does it take for them to go away on their own, and are there any other treatments other than the gel.  I'm afraid of them getting infected.  If you could please give me your opinion on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it, I am in the process of getting a second opinion, but it takes months to get into a dermatologist.  Thank You.
Hi, my son had it too, I have heard of a lot of kids having it.  His was mostly under his arms but he did have a few on his stomach and legs, but they were more scattered.  The ones under his arms were so inflamed that it wound up turning into inpatago (spelling?)  The first course of treatment prescribed by his pediatrician was a 10 day course of antibiotic, and a prescription antibiotic cream.  The doctor said to see the derm once he is done with the 10 days.  The derm "flicked" each molluscum off of my son with the exception of a few deeper ones that a solution was put on.  Those eventually dried up and fell off.  The derm said the "flicking" which is essentially scraping is the best way to remove them.  He has had a few resurface in the past year.  I had them "flicked" as well.  The flicking sounds painful, but it was quick and he was a sport. However, he was 11 a 5 year old may be tougher.  Good luck
Thanks so much for your comment, I have a question for you, when I treat my daughters molluscum with the retin-a cream they eventually dry up and fall off, a few of hers had become so sore and puss filled and eventually they came to a head, I applied antibotic (antibiotic) cream to those and they cleared up but leaving a scar behind.....did that happen to your son, did any of them get infected.  It's good to talk to someone who went through this.  Thanks
Hi, his never had puss however some did dry up on their own and just kind of fall off.  Like I said before they were definitely infected prior to me knowing what they were. Before treating the warts he took a 10 day course of antibiotic to clear up the infection.  Then I went to the derm and he had them flicked off.  I think his infection got so bad because his were mostly under his arms and he may have been that good with drying off after a shower.  I really recommend the flicking. My derm said it is really the only way  to get rid of them quickly and avoid spreading.  Good luck.