Nail Tips Turn Clear

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Nail Tips Turn Clear

This question is one I have not been able to find any answers to using general search engines.  My fingernails are pretty normal looking in that they are a healthy fleshy pink shade and have always been very strong and resistant to breakage.  However, I notice that when my nails grow to a certain length, the white tips turn completely transparent.  I have never seen or heard of anybody else with this problem and I was wondering what the cause of it is and if it has anything to do with my nutrition.  I understand that normal and healthy fingernails are pink at the base, with a white tip.  My tips only stay white for a very short time before slowly turning clear.  Any advice about how to prevent this and/or what it means would be greatly appreciated!

K
Such transparency of nail tips is found in those people whose hands and nails are frequently wet like with sweat or constantly in contact with water while doing household work.

I would suggest you to treat the your hands and nails with the same care as the skin on your face.During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone.Also wear cotton gloves while doing household work and minimize contact with detergents and soap.

In case the symptoms persist then pls consult a dermatologist.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.

i have the same thing. arent everyone's nails wet when they take a shower? i dont get in the water more than usual...
my daughter's nails are clear above her finger too, i was just questioning her about it the ohter day.  she claims they are thick in spite of the transparency and have been that way since she started to let them grow past the top of her fingers.  being a teen-ager she isn't prone to doing any housework if she can get away with it, so the wet hands is not likely the cause.  if you found anything more out let me know.  thanks