Nipple Fungus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Nipple Fungus

I think I have a fungus on my nipple. It's darker and sticky to the touch and smells different from the rest of me. I'm nineteen and I want to know if it's a sign of something serious. I 've never been pregnant or have had sex. I've had it for over a month and I'm concerned. Can anyone help me?
From the symptoms the possibility of nipple dermatitis is there. We have to confirm whether it is due to fungal infection because then only topical and oral antifungals may be prescribed. I suggest you to get a KOH examination and fungal culture of the skin scrapings done to confirm the diagnosis. If it is fungal then antifungals are needed and if it is bacterial then topical antibiotics are needed. Till that time, wear cotton clothes and change your undergarments twice to reduce sweating of the area.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.