Aa
A
A
Close
Non palpable purpura
Okay, so at least like 5 years, I have been getting spots on the tops of my hands or fingers - mostly fingers.  These are not from bumping my fingers.  In fact, I have noticed when I hit my hand really hard - I have remembered to look for the bruise, and I don't get any bruise then. NONE So I don't think I have a platelet problem.

I get the purpura like 1-2 days after taking ibuprofen, tylenol, and ranitidine.  So I stopped taking them.  So I have noticed that if I walk for exercise, I get the purpura.  I was pulling weeds on Thursday and Friday, and Saturday, and had a purpura show up on my finger on Saturday.  So I think it might come from being out of breath - but I was a lot more out of breath a few weeks ago pulling weeds than I was this last weekend, and I didn't get any.  But when I do exercise - (and I had some salty foods this weekend - was retaining water anyway), my fingers swell.  A friend reminded me when we went hiking 20 years ago, I was saying how my fingers swelled up during the hike, and I just thought everyone's fingers do that - so think maybe the swelling squeezes my veins and I get a bleed?  Or, its the cold - it was cooler this weekend and I was soaking the weeds so my gloves got wet and stayed wet for a while.

In the pictures on the internet - I see people with massive amounts on their legs.  i get one, maybe 2 - like when I didn't make the connection with the walking - until I got the 2nd one.  I stopped walking, I didn't get another one.

I haven't had a cold in like 3 years, so I'm not susceptible to infection.  I have a good appetite and haven't lost weight - thought I am about 60 lbs overweight.  I get tired - but I generally only get 5-6 hrs of sleep so that doesn't seem so unexpected.  Coffee wakes me up though. I don't get nose bleeds, my gums don't bleed.

I think I have a slight case of Raynaud's - but not so bad that I get ulcers or anything.  This showed up with a mysterious muscle/joint aches over my body with a SED Rate of 100, that I got in 1998.  It took about 3 months for all the pain to go away but the Rheumatologist I went to said he thought it was just viral, and that my red palms were Raynaud's.  That is when the red palms showed up - but cold or cold water brings them back to their normal color.  Or what I remember a normal color to be.

Could this just senile purpura or something not dangerous - so I could just walk and try and lose some of this weight and not think I am going to bleed out in my brain or something.

Thank you in advance.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
563773 tn?1374250139
Hello,
Purpura and petechiae are common after skin trauma and viral infections. They should go away in a few days. But if they persist then please consult a physician and get other causes ruled out which include allergic reaction, autoimmune diseases, thrombocytopenia, ITP or leukemias. Since you are getting it regularly without any trauma even , so your platelets need to be checked. Senile purpura do not appear so frequently without any trauma.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources