Dermatology Community
Non palpable purpura
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Non palpable purpura

Okay, so at least like 5 years, I have been getting spots on the tops of my hands or fingers - mostly fingers.  These are not from bumping my fingers.  In fact, I have noticed when I hit my hand really hard - I have remembered to look for the bruise, and I don't get any bruise then. NONE So I don't think I have a platelet problem.

I get the purpura like 1-2 days after taking ibuprofen, tylenol, and ranitidine.  So I stopped taking them.  So I have noticed that if I walk for exercise, I get the purpura.  I was pulling weeds on Thursday and Friday, and Saturday, and had a purpura show up on my finger on Saturday.  So I think it might come from being out of breath - but I was a lot more out of breath a few weeks ago pulling weeds than I was this last weekend, and I didn't get any.  But when I do exercise - (and I had some salty foods this weekend - was retaining water anyway), my fingers swell.  A friend reminded me when we went hiking 20 years ago, I was saying how my fingers swelled up during the hike, and I just thought everyone's fingers do that - so think maybe the swelling squeezes my veins and I get a bleed?  Or, its the cold - it was cooler this weekend and I was soaking the weeds so my gloves got wet and stayed wet for a while.

In the pictures on the internet - I see people with massive amounts on their legs.  i get one, maybe 2 - like when I didn't make the connection with the walking - until I got the 2nd one.  I stopped walking, I didn't get another one.

I haven't had a cold in like 3 years, so I'm not susceptible to infection.  I have a good appetite and haven't lost weight - thought I am about 60 lbs overweight.  I get tired - but I generally only get 5-6 hrs of sleep so that doesn't seem so unexpected.  Coffee wakes me up though. I don't get nose bleeds, my gums don't bleed.

I think I have a slight case of Raynaud's - but not so bad that I get ulcers or anything.  This showed up with a mysterious muscle/joint aches over my body with a SED Rate of 100, that I got in 1998.  It took about 3 months for all the pain to go away but the Rheumatologist I went to said he thought it was just viral, and that my red palms were Raynaud's.  That is when the red palms showed up - but cold or cold water brings them back to their normal color.  Or what I remember a normal color to be.

Could this just senile purpura or something not dangerous - so I could just walk and try and lose some of this weight and not think I am going to bleed out in my brain or something.

Thank you in advance.