Dermatology Expert Forum
Odd itchy red bumps under the skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Odd itchy red bumps under the skin

Hi. I have an unusual skin condition that recently appeared.  The same thing happened to me about 4 years ago, I went to a dermatolgist at that time, but he was basically stumped.  I have subtle small red bumps under my skin that are horribly itchy. Where they are at is very odd:  Only on the palms of my hands at the creases on the skin, elbows, a few around the heels and ball of my feet, and scrotum.  (So they are only on extremities).  I haven't eaten anything odd lately, or used any unusual products or new things, so I don't think its an allergy to something unusual.  The bumps are very faint, very under the skin, but itch real bad.  What could this be in such unusual places, and what can I do about it?   Thanks!
Doesn't remind me of anything.  When I see a rash that doesn't remind me of anything, but which doesn't suggest anything internal or serious--as yours doesn't--I treat the symptoms and watch to make sure it goes away.  Try Sarna lotion (OTC) as needed for itch.  If the rash stays or spreads, see a dermatologist.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Try this for your irritation,
     Oil of Oregano. It's an extract from oregano. It's said to be very effective for skin problems. I think i was told that it dealt with microorganisms, I'm not sure. It can be found in GNC and other nutritional supplement stores. 20 bucks for a 9 ounce bottle. I hear it's worth it. Good Luck.
Here is what my dermatologist said:  I am going to spell this wrong, but he called it "Erothema Multiformae".   He said this was his best guess.  Since I had poison ivy a few weeks ago and was at the tail end of that, he said my immune system was probably in hyperdrive and I got an allergic reaction to something I normally wouldn't get.  He put me on Clarinex and Prednisone.  I also have a cream called "Ultravate".  Does this make sense to anyone?
Erythema multiforme can affect the palms and soles, but the spots that produces are red blotches with "bulls-eye" centers.  Perhpas yours is an atypical case of this odd but usually not serious condition.

Dr. Rockoff
Yes, the dermatologist talked about the bulls-eye red patches and said mine may be atypical.  I really looked hard at some of the blotches, and it kind of looked to me like some had a dot (bullseye) in the center.  Maybe just my imagination.

So does predisone and claritin make sense?  What about that Ultravate stuff?  You also called this an odd condition, what is your take on what causes it, preventing it, etc?   (The only history of skin problems in my family is my mom, she had scleroderma).  Thanks!
I developed a burning, itchy scalp with bumps which has lasted for approx 1 month & spread slightly down my neck. My family doctor gave me a script for a 1% steroid oil with to apply to my scalp. Then about 3 weeks ago, itchy pumps appeared on the small of my back and are spreading across most the width of my back. I also have a couple itchy bumps in the antecubital areas of both arms. The bumps are raised, seem to be more or less in clusters, seem solid (rather than fluid filled), & when scratched, develop a dark/black spot in the middle. I do swim, & the pool water with chlorine feels good--for a short time, then the itching comes back. I've tried taking 50 mg of diphenhydramine at bedtime; it doesn't seem to help the rash/itch, but I sleep better. Also tried: rubbing alcohol, Benadryl cream & spray, & antifungal creams. Nothing seems to be helping & I feel like a monkey with all the scratching. Any suggestions?
A related discussion, Erythema multiforma was started.
A related discussion, rash on outer lower left arm was started.
A related discussion, non-healing sores on legs was started.
Did you ever get your problem resolved ? I have similar symptoms, at the base of my neck and accross upper back shoulders. An itchy sensation bumps they come n go when scratched area
turns dark pigment any  thoughts?
A related discussion, Undiagnosable skin rash was started.