Odor from Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Odor from Scalp

I am 23 years old and caucasian. For a few years there has always been an odor in my bedroom. It smells like an odd Body odor type of smell, but it's not my body. Recently, I have become very stressed and have experienced a bit of depression. Now there is a very strong smell in my room where it's no longer a stale type of smell. It is absolutely horrible, I have to air out my room on a regular basis. I will wake up and actually gag from the smell and have to get out of bed and can no longer sleep. My hair has become extremely oily and recently i started letting my hair just air dry. The smell since then has become even worse to the point I cannot sleep other places because I am so embarrased. Now when I wake up there is even an odor attached to me to where i must immediately shower. My hair never feels clean anymore. I've used the same shampoo for at least 3 years and I haven't changed. I've looked up information on scalp odor and I know that other people have this problem. I have no insurance and little income and I'm worried that something is seriously wrong with me to where it's having an effect on my scalp, or I am just so stressed that it's causing this.. maybe it's hormones but I have no idea what it is and I need help.

Please someone give me an ideas of what this could be or remedies.

This discussion is related to Scalp.
It might be your thyroid hormones. You need to see an endocrinologist to get bloodwork done to rule it out. I have hypothyroidism and am experiencing the same symptoms. The smell is like a sweaty, cheesy smell..right?
I have head odor.  I take a shower, rub my scalp and when I rub my scalp my fingers smells and it smells like poop.  What can this be?  Help
Gosh, I'm not the only one with this huge problem. The problem started 5 years ago. It was from time to time, more particularly when I was under stress. I also noticed the bad smelling was becoming worst with the premenstrual syndromes or when I get upset for any reason.

Imagine a lady, working in a great company, attending meetings and being obliged to put parfume to try to hide the bad scalp smelling (like my son's sneakers... awful!). I also have to wash my hair on a daily basis so now my hair is dried, but this is less an issue.

I use home parfums at the office to hide the smelling in my open space. At home, I change the pillow case at least 3 times a week, same for the towel.

In my case, the shampooing with Head&Shoulder works well, but it's not the solution. I tried a product called Sebiprox prescribed by the dermatologist (in Paris) : at the beginning it worked well but not anymore. I tried a shampoo with 3% urea, no positive results.

I even think this is the reason why I broke up with my bf and my manager asked me to change of location at the office... :( or am I becoming paranoid.

I do not know anymore what to do. Why any lab is taking care of this issue?

Help !
try organic tea tree shampoo anti-dandruff great stuff for smelly scalp
My friends wanted to help me and started searching but nothing helped me whenever i bed down or someone is behind me im scared they are going to smells it even thought i wash daily
hi, try  

Zincplex Shampoo, Conditioner and Scalp Lotion Kit   by Zincplex

or

http://www.healthyhairplus.com/Anti-Fungal-Shampoo-p/hhpantifungalshampoo.htm?gclid=CKfI2OTYrMACFWho7AodpUQAvg

also a good read:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/178135-natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-scalp-odor/

another site advises using:
http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-rid-of-scalp-odor/

Hi, try making a simple solution of 3 parts distilled water and 1 part Bragg' s Apple cider vinegar (found at most health food stores, whole foods, Trader Joe's, the vitamin shop and some grocery stores). Put the mixture in a spray bottle, shake well and apply the mixture liberally to your scalp and hair. Using the pads of your fingers, massage the solution in for 30 seconds, let it sit for another minute or so, then rinse it out. Afterwards, sampoo and condition your as you normally would. Then follow up with another light misting of the scalp and hair with the solution and allow hair to air dry. The vinegar smell will be gone once the hair completely dries. The solution acts as a clarifying agent, removing build from the a scalp and hair while promoting ph levels. It also has anti microbial benefits which kills door causing bacteria. Let me know if it helps.
Hi, try making a simple solution of 3 parts distilled water and 1 part Bragg' s Apple cider vinegar (found at most health food stores, whole foods, Trader Joe's, the vitamin shop and some grocery stores). Put the mixture in a spray bottle, shake well and apply the mixture liberally to your scalp and hair. Using the pads of your fingers, massage the solution in for 30 seconds, let it sit for another minute or so, then rinse it out. Afterwards, sampoo and condition your as you normally would. Then follow up with another light misting of the scalp and hair with the solution and allow hair to air dry. The vinegar smell will be gone once the hair completely dries. The solution acts as a clarifying agent, removing build from the a scalp and hair while promoting ph levels. It also has anti microbial benefits which kills door causing bacteria. Let me know if it helps