Dermatology Community
Odor from Scalp
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Odor from Scalp

I am 23 years old and caucasian. For a few years there has always been an odor in my bedroom. It smells like an odd Body odor type of smell, but it's not my body. Recently, I have become very stressed and have experienced a bit of depression. Now there is a very strong smell in my room where it's no longer a stale type of smell. It is absolutely horrible, I have to air out my room on a regular basis. I will wake up and actually gag from the smell and have to get out of bed and can no longer sleep. My hair has become extremely oily and recently i started letting my hair just air dry. The smell since then has become even worse to the point I cannot sleep other places because I am so embarrased. Now when I wake up there is even an odor attached to me to where i must immediately shower. My hair never feels clean anymore. I've used the same shampoo for at least 3 years and I haven't changed. I've looked up information on scalp odor and I know that other people have this problem. I have no insurance and little income and I'm worried that something is seriously wrong with me to where it's having an effect on my scalp, or I am just so stressed that it's causing this.. maybe it's hormones but I have no idea what it is and I need help.

Please someone give me an ideas of what this could be or remedies.

This discussion is related to Scalp.
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
It might be your thyroid hormones. You need to see an endocrinologist to get bloodwork done to rule it out. I have hypothyroidism and am experiencing the same symptoms. The smell is like a sweaty, cheesy smell..right?
Blank
I have head odor.  I take a shower, rub my scalp and when I rub my scalp my fingers smells and it smells like poop.  What can this be?  Help
Blank
Gosh, I'm not the only one with this huge problem. The problem started 5 years ago. It was from time to time, more particularly when I was under stress. I also noticed the bad smelling was becoming worst with the premenstrual syndromes or when I get upset for any reason.

Imagine a lady, working in a great company, attending meetings and being obliged to put parfume to try to hide the bad scalp smelling (like my son's sneakers... awful!). I also have to wash my hair on a daily basis so now my hair is dried, but this is less an issue.

I use home parfums at the office to hide the smelling in my open space. At home, I change the pillow case at least 3 times a week, same for the towel.

In my case, the shampooing with Head&Shoulder works well, but it's not the solution. I tried a product called Sebiprox prescribed by the dermatologist (in Paris) : at the beginning it worked well but not anymore. I tried a shampoo with 3% urea, no positive results.

I even think this is the reason why I broke up with my bf and my manager asked me to change of location at the office... :( or am I becoming paranoid.

I do not know anymore what to do. Why any lab is taking care of this issue?

Help !
Blank
try organic tea tree shampoo anti-dandruff great stuff for smelly scalp
Blank
My friends wanted to help me and started searching but nothing helped me whenever i bed down or someone is behind me im scared they are going to smells it even thought i wash daily
Blank
My friends wanted to help me and started searching but nothing helped me whenever i bed down or someone is behind me im scared they are going to smells it even thought i wash daily
Blank
hi, try  

Zincplex Shampoo, Conditioner and Scalp Lotion Kit   by Zincplex

or

http://www.healthyhairplus.com/Anti-Fungal-Shampoo-p/hhpantifungalshampoo.htm?gclid=CKfI2OTYrMACFWho7AodpUQAvg

also a good read:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/178135-natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-scalp-odor/

another site advises using:
http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-rid-of-scalp-odor/

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources