Dermatology Expert Forum
Open lesions and peeling of the scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Open lesions and peeling of the scrotum

I am a healthy, 24 yr old male of Caucasian descent with no family history of anything except mild, stress-related acne and allergies. On the second day of camping without washing, sweating heavily, I noticed a small lesion appear on the left side of my scrotum, near the base of the penis.
Since then, with washing every day since, I have noticed that two other small lesions have appeared and merged with the initial lesion. They now appear as three round, open sores touching at the edges.
Two other small lesions have appeared about a half centimeter away from these sores on either side, and two pimple-like structures have appeared slightly above and slightly to one side of these new sores. Only redness and very slight inflammation connects them. Previously, these pimple structures have opened and turned into the sores. The entire area is red and slightly inflamed, with tenderness associated, but no itching; the sores are unevenly distributed and will not scab over completely, appearing slightly wet around the edges and in their centers, though no discharge has been observed. The affected area of this soreness and redness is about four square centimeters, with the open lesions taking up aprox. 20-30% of the total area.
While I have found tiny, white sores on my tongue, there were no associated canker-like sores elsewhere in my mouth or on my body, so this appears to be localized.
Another, possibly unrelated, symptom is a peeling of the skin over the bottom of the scrotum, similar to the peeling that occurs after sun burn. This dead skin easily peels away and leaves the skin clear of additional observable peeling. I have not peeled the dead skin entirely away.
Trying to self-treat, since I have no insurance, I have used Turmeric and Tea Tree Oil as I first thought this was either scabies or a bacterial infection, and initially considered the lesion the result of a spider bite.
I have been sexually active with one partner in my life, and she was tested last week and found free of STDs.
This does not sound like any STD.  It does, however, sound as though it may be infected.  My suggestion is to treat the area gently (no rubbing or probing), cool baths or soak once a day for 10 minutes, followed by application of bacitracin or neosporin, and an appointment with a doctor as soon as you can set one up, perhaps at a walk-in clinic.  You cannot fool around with an open area that large, even if you have no insurance.  I can't think of any association with the tongue spots, but the doctor you see can tell when you go.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
After visiting with a long time family physician, who checked it during my physical for free, it appears to be simply an open wound. She said that it might have been caused by a spider bite or simply chafing, and recommended that I continue treatment with Tea Tree Oil to disinfect and a cream based moisturizer to assist the skin in healing. Thank you very much for your reply on this, and your help!
the lesions you describe sound like Herpes,
Have a blood test for HSV I and HSV II