PLEVA

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

PLEVA

Child, age 8 has had 2nd recurrence of PLEVA,  What have you done to prevent future outbreaks?
What treatments or medication are now available?
My son (11 at diagnosis, now 12) was diagnosed last spring. Diagnosis confirmed with a punch biopsy to one of the papules on his leg. He is under the care of a dermatologist. He was covered from head to toe except his face and genitals. Treatment was UV light therapy twice a week,oral medication called Solodyn 80 mg. daily (this med. comes in 40 mg. too) and Olux-E Steriod foam applied to the papules when they are inflamed only. Steroid foam for two weeks only as it this the skin. He has had two bad breakouts and then it has slowed. But we keep up these treatments religiously to keep it at bay. When we try to lessen any of this medical protocol, the PLEVA attacks again. After meeting with another drematologist at a university medical school nearby, I realize this PLEVA will not stop attacking my son until somehow the body accepts the trauma that has occcured to his immune system. His body is attacking itself esssentially. I am concerned that this may have a link to a chicken pox vaccine booster he received 2 months previous to his initial attack.

Hope this helps you find a treatment that works for your 8 year old.
My Daughter is 4 and was diagnosed at the age of 3. We tried Erythromycin for 6 months, prednisone, topical creams, and UV light therapy. Well now of it worked. So I was going crazy and my poor daughter was scaring and crying because of her skin. First thing is first. I asked Jesus to heal her and to help me find some type of answer. Well a couple of days later I found an article in a group like this from moms with kids that have PLEVA. I started reading and found one mother who cut all dairy out of her sons Diet and his breakouts were cut down by 75%. Then she tried her hardest to stay away from preservative foods ( boxed and canned foods) after a month of trying all of this his break outs had stopped. Then she started him back outside for 15 minutes a day without sunscreen to help the pigment to come back to the whitened areas where the old lesion were. After 3 months you could hardly tell her son ever had Pleva except for a couple scars that could of been from anything.
So I said, this is my answer to my Prayers!
I weened her off of fat in her milk so now we are only fat free. and almost all of her lesions went away. I have then tried my hardest to stay away from boxed and canned foods. I also made sure to keep her on Vitamin D and her chewy multivitamin. It is amazing because all the Drs said diet had nothing to do with this auto immune disorder and all they wanted to do was give more drugs and creams. And they swore this is not a food allergy. Well I think they are right about the food allergy but what ever triggers it to come out is in our dairy products and preservatives.
The only time she might get a few lesions is when she gets a cold and her immune system is lowered.
I have my little girl back and almost all of her 100's of white spots are gone with the pigment almost 100% back. It brings tears to my eyes because she tells me mommy I'm pretty like a princess now that all my bumpies are gone!
I hope this reaches everyone that is suffering with this and brings you relief!
DIET AND PRAYER IS THE CURE!
Email me at ***@**** if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with.
Hugs Ashley