PYODERMA GANGRENOSUM
I would like to know what is Pyoderma Gangrenosum.
Is this life threatening in any way ?
Is it cancer ?
Can it reoccur after it has been cured ?
How does one handle side effects due to steady use of steroids ?

Pyoderma gangrenosum is a disease that causes tissue to become necrotic, causing deep ulcers that usually occur on the legs. When they occur, they can lead to chronic wounds.They are not life threatening and rarely cause death.It is not a cancer and its etiiopathogenesis is postulated to be due to immune system dysfunction.Yes recurrence even after treatment has been reported in some cases and its main treatment involves steroids(topical,injections,dressings), anti-inflammatory antibiotics and immunosuppressive drugs.

The dose of steroids is tapered gradually so as to cause minimum side effects .Also various measures are taken to counter the side effects like for eg users may increase their cardiovascular exercise level to help to counter the effects of changes in the left ventricle and using of various drugs to counteract the side effects of steroids.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.