Peeling Feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling Feet

My husband 6 weeks ago started with sore feet that went into 24hrs later swollen feet discolored with purple and almost a black dolor coming and going, we went to the Er on Sunday evening, and they couldnt figure it out we then went to the family dr the following monday. thought it was some kind of bite (not) and his feet began to peel off in large sections which included his toes. Where ever the swelling was he lost skin and continued to about 4 layers is the best we can estimate saw 3 dermetologist 2 bi-opsy's and no one can tell us anythign other than they are inflamed! they gave him prednisone to keep the swelling down some cream that didnt touch it. about a week into this mess I noticed his hands began to peel between the thumb and first finger and spread to the whole hand. I have continued to spread siffrent ointments on it but the nly thing that seems to hold it at bay it desitine for baby butts, I think its the zinc oxide that seems to help. The hands have be gan to heal but continue to look like they are from a burn and do hurt some what. The feet have broken out with what looks like liasions and then heel, no more of thise but still he has a very difficult time walking or standing on them.  Help! anybody!
For the symptoms that your husband had on the feet, one of the possibilities that I can think of is a vascular abnormality or Raynaud’s disease. It is a vascular disorder that affects blood flow to the extremities which include the fingers, toes, nose and ears when exposed to temperature changes or stress. This causes blueness and swelling of the skin.

I feel that a consultation of a physician will be the best. Other causes of swollen and blue peripheries like diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid also have to be ruled out. From the dermatological aspect, It can be due to contact dermatitis because of the suddenness of events. Other possibility is of a fungal infection. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used and also use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone.
But apart from that, a physician’s consultation is required to rule out all these conditions.
I hope that helps. Take care and regards.