Peeling hands in winter

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Peeling hands in winter

The skin on my hands, especially my fingertips, every winter becomes cracked and peels very badly, sometimes bleeding.  I am wondering if i have some sort of vitamin deficiency.  I put lotion on them all the time i use Vaseline mens hand lotion and it makes them feel better for about five minutes before i feel like i need to reapply.  Is there something else you could suggest?

Cold, dry air can cause dry skin, peeling, and even cracking and bleeding of the fingertips. Washing dishes without wearing gloves can put hands and fingers in contact with harsh detergents that can cause fingers to peel. Soaps and lotions that contain perfume can cause hands and fingertips to become irritated and peel.

Any type of trauma to the fingers, such as playing the guitar, can cause fingertips to peel. Peeling fingertips can also be associated with certain infections, reactions to medications and, rarely, potentially serious medical conditions.

A few simple measures can often stop the peeling, or at least slow it down:

Wash your hands with an unscented soap.

Use an unscented moisturizer after drying your hands.

Avoid trauma to your fingertips.

Wear gloves when washing dishes.

If peeling continues, contact your doctor or see a dermatologist to rule out exfoliative keratolysis or dyshidrotic eczema.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

This reply completely disregards the fact that person suffering the problem only shows symptoms in colder months.  It is the cookie cutter response I have heard time and time again from many dermatologists. I too have peeling palms that leads to cracking and some times bleeding only when autumn comes around.  I spent a year in the tropics and for the first time in 20 years, I went an entire winter without the problem.  The pattern of peeling is incredibly symmetric and stops precisely where the skin begins to have hair follicles.  I am 29 years old and for as long as I can remember, around October in the north east of the U.S.  my symptoms begin with sweating palms that progress to peeling as the weather gets colder.  I have tried anything and everything including UV treatment and topical steroids to no avail.

I am sorry but I can guarantee the response you posted will have no positive effect on the person suffering the issue.  It may have been well intentioned but after spending countless hours of my life trying to find a valid treatment for this, I am fed up with the generic "solves all" response from dermatologists completely not hearing the patient.