Peeling thumbs
My thumbs peel all year long.  Just the thumbs and never past the first nuckle.  It always use to start at the nail and then work back.  I always keep my nails cut down to avoid this but it still happens.  Some times a white circle forms and then peels off leaving very sensative skins.  4 dermatologists and no answers.  The doctor did a skin scape to ensure no fungus issues.  Any ideas?
I have the same problem, but only on my right thumb. It started when I was 52, dissapeared and then came back 6 mo. or a year later. Got it alright again putting a heavy lanolin cream (pretty greassy), and later came back. Over the last five years it has slowly gotten worse, more frequent and now past the nuckle. This year it started around april and I have not been able to get rid of the problem yet. It gets worse as soon as I use my hand during the day, specially bad with water, in very dry air, or around dust. I tried a hydrating cream, the lanolin cream, a parafin cream and now a cream with neomicine (antibiotic). The last couple of days seems to be less raw and less peeling but not normal by any means.
Two years ago a dermatologist said  that it was psoriasis, but he did not do any tests, only looked at my thumb. He prescribed a cortisone cream which did not work. I am on the list to see a dermatologist again and I want to ask him to test for bacterial or fungus infection. I have this problem only on my thumb although a few years back the skin under one of my big toes also peeled in thick layers. I am trying different things to see what works and what doesn't.