Dermatology Expert Forum
Pencil Tip stuck in skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Pencil Tip stuck in skin

A year ago, my 2 1/2 year old stuck a pencil tip in her chin.  The wound bled a little, so we did not see anything in it.  When it healed, we noticed that a tiny piece of lead must be in there, as it looks like a black freckle under her skin.  The skin is smooth, just discolored.  Should I try to get it out?  We were hoping it would "grow" out, but so far it has not.  What should I do about it?
Tags: sliver, Skin, stuck
What you're describing is called a traumatic tattoo.  There's really not much you can do about it.  If it bothers her later in life, she can try lasering it off.  Meantime, I'd consider it a beauty mark and ignore it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I did the same thing right above my knee when I was about two. I am 20 now and still have that same pencil mark. The doctor is right it is just like a tattoo. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Like Doc said if it's really a concern you can have it lasered off.
A related discussion, Lead Poisoning was started.