Persistent rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Persistent rash

I am having a recurring rash that manifests itself on my shins, spreads from ankle to below knees, used to come and go but is now staying for long periods of time. The condition first appeared abut 5 years ago, it would start as a red itchy area about the size of a silver dollar then expand over several days to a long patch up my shins with raised welts that would last for weeks. The area looked like the skin of a football, raised and bumpy, turning very red and itchy, as it subsided it would look dry and lightly scaley. In the past year the red welty patches have come and gone on the inside of my thigh, on both my elbows, on my wrists, and once from ear to ear on the back of my neck. I have been tested for a large assortment of food and contact allergys (allergies), my blood has been taken to look for some kind of internal disease, and I have used many topical and oral treatments to try to knock it down. Prednisone worked for a few days but couldn't knock it out. I have strong steroidal creams and oils that have no effect, I'm really at a loss as to where to go next, has anyone else experienced anything like this and had any success treating it? Sure could use some help! I can provide a photo of my shin area that is red and welty now, but not as bad as it was a week ago. Thanks, George.
Tags: persistent, rash, Allergies, welts, red itchy
Hi George and welcome. Do you put any moisturizing creams on these areas. As be age our skin needs moisture and also need to use hypo allergenic cloths soap that is dye free. Ive been chasing these rashes for the last 8 years myself and am finding its the perfumed creams
Thank you for the reply, yes, I am using vanicream. After much research, I trully believe that my case is eczema. I am trying to keep the areas as moist as possible and trying to follow my derms instructions. I read where patients would only do as advised for a few days and then complain  of ineffective treatment. I am one of those that hasn't followed the course prescribed for me. Taking care of that now, I am trying to keep the areas creamed and medicated twice a day for the next several weeks and then see where my condition is. George  
Hi George,Do yourself a big favor. Go see a derm doc and see if you have ecxema and if you do they have new great treatments now availalbe.
dave