Pilar cysts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pilar cysts

My daughter was diagnosed with multiple pillar cysts on her scalp. The doctor stated that the only thing that could be done is have them surgically removed. That's fine but she continues to get them. I would like to know if there is something that we can do to keep them from coming. At the rate that they're appearing she will have to have surgery ever few years.She also has white bumps on her back. I suspect that they have something to do with the fact that she has very oily skin.Help, please! Thank you!
Unfortunately for pilar cyst, surgical excision is the only means of treatment. Recurrence is common with these type of cysts. Secondly the white small bumps can be due to folliculitis skin. Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.