Pin sized hole bleeding on lip?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Pin sized hole bleeding on lip?

My girlfriend is pregnant, about 4 months. we were playing cards all of a sudden she looked down and blood was dripping down her arm. It was quite a lot of blood, thought it was a bloody nose. turns out it was coming from her lower lip,. No cut, no severe chapped lips or anything. She said she felt no pain at all. Finally after 10 minutes it stopped, and it appeared like nothing on the lip at all. Only thing I saw was a tiny pin sized dot, where the blood was coming from. Her lip may or may not have looked a tiny tiny bit swollen, but that could just be me imagining. Again she felt no pain at all.  How could so much blood come out of a little dot? What could this possibly be? Please help!
And to provide more info, we were just playing cards all of a sudden she looked down and blood was dripping! She was just as shocked as I. I told myself if it didn't stop in 10 minutes we'd go to ER, but luckily it stopped. What could this be???
Without examination, confirming a diagnosis is tough but it sounds like pyogenic granuloma. It is a common, benign growth that often appears as a rapidly growing, bleeding bump on the skin or inside the mouth and is common in pregnancy. Its exact cause is unknown but it is more commonly found in women especially head, neck, extremities, and upper trunk. Different treatments like sclerotherapy, chemical cauterization, cryotherapy and laser excision have been found to be useful.

Other possibilities are angioendothelioma, hemangioendothelioma or hemangioma.
I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and get it examined. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Ok, it sounds like the first one. Is that fatal? Should actions be taken now or after pregnancy? She hasnt bled since that day it has been 2 days.. Thanks Doc
Pyogenic granuloma is a very common condition. It is common in pregnancy and hence called pregnancy tumor. Some doctors prefer to treat with chemicals (TCA, podophyllin, phenol, silver nitrate). Laser surgery can also be done. Best treatment is however surgical excision. If it bleeds again then it may need treatement.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Exactly the same thing happened to me, and I am male. I searched for pyogenic granuloma on google and the images look very different because there is no bleeding. My bleeding stopped in 5 mins.
I know this was posted years ago but I'm hoping to find some answers. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and the same exact thing happened to me this morning. I woke up at 7:20am literally drowning in my blood. The source was a tiny "pin sized hole" (great description) on my upper lip. I bled for at least five mins that I know of but definitely more in my sleep. No pain, no way I could have bitten that far up. I was wondering if either of you got answers to what this could be?