Possible genital wart

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Possible genital wart

I am wondering if I may have a genital wart or if it could be something else less worrisome. I have made a doctors appointment, but I am so worried about this I just thought I would try and get some thoughts.

I am a female and I get Brazilian bikini waxes on a regular basis. I do not have a history of ingrown hairs, however I had a wax last week and she told me that she noticed a few. I never noticed. Approx 3-4 weeks ago I noticed a small bump (about half the size of a pea) on the outer side of my left vaginal lip. It is right in the middle, but more toward the top. It is flesh colored and has not changed at all. It is raised, but it is not red, does not itch or burn, in fact it doesn't bother me at all, other then mentally. There are no other bumps anywhere. I am sexually active and have been with the same person for 7 years. During a break up approx 10 weeks ago, I was with another person who is a very close friend. I have not had unprotected sex with either person.

I got my wax last week with the same person that I've seen for 2 yrs, and she has been in the business for 17 yrs. She looked at it and said it looked like it could be an ingrown hair that just has not come out yet. Could that be the case, even though the bump has been there for weeks unchanged?

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm just beside myself with this.
This lump can be due to an ingrown hair (less likely), cyst, lipoma (fatty deposits) ,fibroma (fibrous tissue deposits) or viral warts(small raised pimples to a mass of large, cauliflower-like growths. The virus that causes them is passed on during sex).

An examination by a gynecologist will be the best as it is only after an examination that it will become clear what the swelling that you have noticed is due to. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I saw my gyno and she said it is not a wart and not herpes =) Yay!!!!! What a relief!! She said that it does look like an ingrown hair that is just not wanting to come out. She said to do a warm compress and triple antibiotic ointment 3 times a day for a few weeks. She said that if if doesn't come out, to go back and see her and she will get it out.

I feel soooooooo much better =) Thank you for your response =)
Keep the area clean and apply some warm compresses and topical antiseptics. Also use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as Neosporin and Bactroban are also useful. In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.