Dermatology Community
Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation

Hi, my name is Jessi. I am currently taking Finacea gel 15% and Differin .1% to help control my mild acne and PIH problems. About a 1 1/2 weeks ago, it seemed like i had a whitehead/pustule..it was inflammed a little bit with a white tip/plug it seemed. It didnt hurt or sting, it just bothered me and since i'm on these meds it my skin was obviously getting dry. So the one day last week I wanted to pull the little white tip out of the pimple and it seemed the entire layer of skin peeled off. It stinged a little bit and so instead of putting the finacea or differin on it, I used some CVS 2%salicylic pads my brother had bought. That stinged it and made it white and bubbly. It must have irritated it or I got some irritant dermatosis from it. I'm not sure. But anyways it took about 5-6 days to acutally get a layer of skin to reform on top. It ended up leaving a mark(reddish-brown) I'm thinking to PIH, so I've been using the Finacea gel and Differin in hope of it returning to its original pigment. Is that right to do? So that had happened to me. At night since i use Differin I had used Aclovate cream to help with the inflammation and redness on that spot. I tried that for a few days and then just gave up. I saw a tiny improvement but nothing to get excited about. So i put a bandaid (with neosporin) on that area of my chin to see if the next day i'd see any improvement. I didn't really. But as i removed the bandage the area of skin close to it(bottom cheek) got red like a circle with lines and starting to burn(there was one little pimple like spot that burned but it didnt seem like a pimple bc it seems watery/oozy like so i put some neosporin on to kill any infection. Well that didnt help bc then it started to get worse and worse with the neosporin i got a huge red circle. About 5 days later its still red, and its making me think ...is it PIH or just a rash/dermatosis that will take weeks and weeks to heal...i am type 1 diabetic. Please help!