Postpartum Itchy Rash on Breasts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Postpartum Itchy Rash on Breasts

I have a rash on my breasts, mainly on the top parts but also the undersides (but not in areolas or nipples and not in creases). I've had this for about 3 weeks if I remember right. I'm nursing my newborn (almost 4 weeks old.) This is the only place I have the rash. It's not related to a change in fabrics or detergents, and my bras are not too tight or rubbing.  Also, it's not from sweating. I've used hydrocortisone 1% and triamcinalone (prescription) creams with some relief, but I want to make it go away as it's really itchy. It doesn't seem to be spreading to other parts of my body or to the baby. Has anyone else experienced or heard of something like this?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Have you ever had this rash before?

Do you have a similar rash in other parts of the body?

Would you be able to describe this rash?

Is this dry and scaling?

Or is this weeping and excoriated?

Is this reddish, brownish or violaceous in color?

Are you currently taking any medications ?

Do you have any known allergies?

I will appreciate your answers to my questions as to clarify some points.
Hi, here are the answers to your questions. Thanks!

Have you ever had this rash before? no

Do you have a similar rash in other parts of the body? no

Would you be able to describe this rash? mainly itchy, with small bumps that turn red when I scratch. Benadryl cream seems to help. It doesn't cover the entire breast, just a couple of sections.

Is this dry and scaling? no

Or is this weeping and excoriated? no

Is this reddish, brownish or violaceous in color? see description

Are you currently taking any medications ? just multivitamins, same one for a while now with no previous reaction.

Do you have any known allergies? molds, ragweed, some pollens, sulfa drugs, other mild environmental ones that have never been symptomatic but appeared during testing.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I am thinking that this could be something hormone related .However,the presence of small reddish bumps on the skin may suggest probably a dermatitis or a fungal infection.These are the more common causes of itchiness associated with reddish skin bumps or rash.

This may not immediately resolve if this is a case of eczema or dermatitis. I suggest that you discuss with your physician prescriber if taking oral antihistamines at this point may help.Prolonged use of corticosteroids may not be advisable in your case if you are breastfeeding.

Do discuss this with your physician. Dermatitis and other eczematous diseases are inflammatory in nature and have been associated with hormonal changes and stress related factors.

Try to observe your symptoms as you continue your medications under close physician supervision.
Thank you, I wondered also if it could be hormone related. I'll check with a dr.
I am not post partum, but I am having the same rash!! Whats interesting is that I read your allergies section...I have the same exact allergies. I have been to 3 Drs who cannot diagnose it...my next step is a dermatologist. It seems to get more itchy when I drink wine or alcohol. It went away, then I started antibiotics and it came back. the fact that it reacted negatively to antibiotics makes me think its candida based...BUT it has no color unless I scratch it...and then the little red bumps develope just like you described.

I am 15 weeks post partum and experiencing a very bad traveling rash I am nursing and over 40 . The rash responds well to diapering cream. But can be very  annoying .  

I have a very similar rash and it started when my daughter was about 4 or 5 months old.  I nursed my older daughter for 17 months and never had this happen then.  I was hoping that I'd read an update here from the original poster telling us what she had.  This is a very uncomfortable rash to have.
Hello ladies.. So I have had a somewhat travelling rash on my body for a few months, It started when my daughter was 3 months old, i am breastfeeding it got crazy all over my body I tried hydrocortizone, a&D, Desitin, ACV, benadryl, baby oil.. and then all of a sudden it went away. now 2 months later it is back, on my shoulders and the tops of my breasts. It is pink, extremely itchy but no puss or blisters. I take a prenatal vitamin, and colace.. I think alcohol makes it worse too.. Ive resolved to the fact it is hormone related because i started having a menstrual ccle again and it flared up just before. It fits with all of you. I wonder if I stop breastfeeding will it go away?