Quarter-size dry spot on top of foot

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Quarter-size dry spot on top of foot

I have a quarter-size very dry spot on top of my foot, almost at the base of where my leg and foot connect.  When I touch it, it feels tingly.  It does not itch or hurt, just very dry and annoying to look at.  I have tried lotions, but it does not work.  I also have a dime sized spot in the same location on my other foot.  Same symptoms.  The spot on each foot is darker in color.  This problem showed up about a year and a half ago.  I haven't worried about it much because a doctor gave me a cream (it didn't work) and didn't seemed concerned about it.  I didn't trust her opinion because it has to be something.  It just wouldn't show up.  Recently someone said those sypmtoms could be a sign of cancer.  Is this true?  If not, what could it be?

One possibility that is coming to my mind after reading your symptoms is acquired ichthyosis vulgaris. It is a nonhereditary condition associated with internal disease which presents as scaly dry ,non itchy rashes on the skin which are present mostly on the extremities. The lower extremities generally are more affected than the upper extremities.

It is true that ichthyosis can be associated with malignancy or other diseases like sarcoidosis, leprosy, thyroid disease, hyperparathyroidism, nutritional disorders or autoimmune diseases.

Diagnosed by skin biopsy.I sincerely advise you to consult a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy done.As the rash is non itchy,so chances of eczema or contact dermatitis are rare,but they have to be ruled out.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.
Thank you for the information.  I'm going to make an appointment for a dermatologist on Monday.
Did you ever find out what this is? I have the same thing.