Rash, open sore behind ear
kdj
I am 45 years old, Male, Caucasian...  I just recently noticed that I have a rash that runs along the back of my ear in the crease where my ear attaches to my head. It is about 1 inch long and gets raw then scabs over. I have been putting cortisone on it. It appears to help for a while, but then dries up,  scabs and then gets raw again. It does not itch and that is the only place where it appears. Any ideas?

Concerned,

KDJ
Could someone answer Rash question from 45 old man posted previously.  I have the same problem and do not know what to do?  I have a skin lesion along the attachement of my ear to my head.  It is not really itchy, it's red and scabby.  Please, help.
Clairette

For skin conditions involving the said area differentials will be psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and a fungal infection.

Would you be able to identify some scaling in the area?Psoriasis may present with plaques that may look like  white scales. This may not be true in all cases but they usually present as reddish rash that may eventually thicken and scab. Also, seborrheic dermatitis may present with an oily or greasy scale or flake. The underlying cause for seborrheic dermatitis is not very clear although stress seemed to have been associated with it.

Would you note similar lesions in other parts of the body (scalp, area near the navel, chest)?

Any problems with your nails?

Any one in the family with similar lesions ?
The cut along the top of my left ear is red with little scabbing.  I do not have any other lesions.
Clairette

Seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis are primary differentials here.A dermatitis and fungal infection should also be considered. However, these skin conditions may be difficult to differentiate given visual inspection. A microscopic evaluation of skin scrapings from the area may help rule out a fungal infection.In the absence of other associated lesions in the body, psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis are still not to be excluded.

A consult with a dermatologist will be able to guide you.
maybe if you try getting a clean wet rag and clean daily around the sores.

they should go away.

It seems like I have the same problem. It started on my left ear and then my right, however, both of my ears are now better. No signs of ozzy, wet, raw, scaly rash. What I'm concerned about is re: the questions you asked previously- about any other lesions found elsewhere on body and any problems with nails. I have a small (dime size) red rash on my scalp (hairline to be exact) that feels wet to touch and one of my toenails is gray. I don't know the exact name for the disease with my toenail but I know that these can all link together because my boyfriend who lives with me has all the same symptoms. He started 2 years ago and seems like I'm mirroring him. He's been visiting a derm regularly and has been using a topical treatment for his rash on his scalp. Is this contagious? What should I do? I'm so worried. I really don't want it to spread. Please help. Thanks

p.s. He's a smoker and I just quit smoking 3 months ago.

my boy who;s 5 has sore red rash round whole of the ear from top to bottom at both edges its an open wound  whats causing this and what can i use on it
Go to a doctor and ask about cephalexin, AKA: Keflex, Panixine, Biocef, Zartan. I had the same thing and this cleared it up and never returned! Hope this helped!!
Is it possible to have fungal infection that comes and goes?  I had open lesions in my left ear first.  FIrst one area was crusty and I thought it was irritation from my cartilage ring.  But then had a few in right ear and then a few on my face and scalp.  This was in Saudi Arabia.  I came back to the states.  Had some lesions going up dermatone that ID thought was shingles, but then go these other lesions.  I fell a kind of pop, and when I look I have a circular area with skin missing, looks like cut but round.  Went away for awhile and now back.  Once again first in my left ear, then open areas in right ear, then my face, scalp and a few on chest more on my back and several on my buttocks.  It is so frustrating because I have no idea what it is.  I would appreicat any advice you can give.
I have a similar problem. It appears out of no where and itches and burns in the crease on both ears. I would in the past, search for a rash but nothing was ever found, I'd just wash my hands and scratch to get very temporary comfort in easing the itchiness but I think in doing so I'd also make it worse. I decided to start applying rubbing alcohol to it, it stings a little but the relief is instant and maintained, the soars are gone within hours. I've never seen a doctor for an explanation because of the above mentioned thing works very well.