Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash in Genital area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash in Genital area

I am a 26 year old male. Recently I noticed various pimple-like bumps in my pubical hair area. These bumps had a white gelly kind substance that could be easily popped. I regulary shave my genital areas and though it was a rash or infection. It has been itchy and sensible. Also I developed a similar larger bump at the bottom-under part of my penis. It has become a little hard and sensible. The other pimple-like bumps are going away as the days go by and doesn't bother much any more. I have not shaved again since it started.

I am freaking out over this. I've viewed various pictures of stds (specially herpes) and non of the are a close match visually to what it looks like. No other part of my body besides my pubic hair area and under part of my penis have been affected. I have no other symptoms.

Is this related to an infection due to shaving? Or is this something more serious?
This does not sound like herpes.  it does sound like molluscum contagiosum, a non-HPV kind of wart.  This is sometimes sexually transmitted, and often not.  If it is in your case, you'll have a sexual partner who has similar bumps in the pubic area.  If not, then it doesn't matter where you got it.  Please see a doctor in person, and get this properly diagnosed and treated.  You have nothing to be scared about.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you. That does make me feel better. Today the pimple-like bumps seem to be healing but the other larger bump under my penis has gotten a little bigger and hard. It does not have the same pimple like bump because it doesn't have a white head visible. Also I have been feeling a continues burning sensation only in that area.

I was worried because as I was reading online articles they describe most of these symptoms as genital herpes. Should I see an urologist or dermatologist?

Thank you very much!
I am still very worried about the larger bump under my penis. It have been feeling more discomfort and burning sensation. It appears to be swollen and it hard (when you feel it). It does not appear to have a "head" and doesn't look that the rest of the rash. I was researching molluscum contagiosum and symptoms are usually painless. This is not my case for this lump...

The rest of the rash or other smaller pimple like bumps have been disappearing and doesn't itch or bother me much anymore.

I am very concerned and plan on making an appointment tomorrow. This really scares me (Can''t even sleep!!).
I have been researching the internet and have found two diseases that fit my problem visually and for most of its symptoms. The following sites have pictures that resemble pretty close my symptoms:

http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/abscess.htm
http://www.visualdxhealth.com/adult/folliculitis.htm

Can an abscess and folliculitis form at the same time? Could they have been caused by shaving or are they stds? Should I visit an Urologist or Dermatologist?

Thank you!