Dermatology Expert Forum
Rash on Buttocks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rash on Buttocks

Dr. Rockoff,

About a week and 1/2 ago I devloped a rash somewhat uniformly on both sides of my buttocks. The rash eventually was concentrated on the bottom of each cheek and in the folds (where my butt meets the top part of my leg). It is not in my anus. I am not an obese person but I am husky and tend to sweat alot this time of year.

I think the rash came about when I was wearing jeans and boxer briefs. It is the hottest time of the year and I am in a humid climate (Gulf Coast) and my job requires me to sit at my desk or ride in the car for hours at a time.

I applied Cortaid and kept the area dry with baby powder and the rash almost subsided completely. However, I had to go out of town on business and was driving in the car constantly for two complete workdays. The rash came back in the same places even more irritated than before. The rash came back where I was constantly applying pressure from my sitting in the car (lower butt and skin folds.

Thinking I had a fungus, I had some leftover anitfungual medicine I applied to it (Nystatin / Triamcinone) but that didn't seem to help. I stopped applying that yesterday. It has been 4 days since the reocurrence and it doesn't seem to be getting that much better.

The rash feels bumpy (not tiny but not large bumps)and sometimes feels more bumpy / inflamed than other times. There are no blisters, lesions, puss or anything like that but it does itch.

My questions are:

1) If this was just a friction / heat rash should this have subsided?

2) What other things might this be besides a friction / heat rash (fungal, infection, yeast)?

3) Although I do not think the symptoms demonstrate this but I do want to ask the question...could this be an STD? It doesn't sound like Herpes to me....i.e., no sores, blisters, and the fact that it went away almost completely then flared up againwithin the same week. Keep in mind I am a heterosexual male.

4) Can you give me any suggestions for treatment?

If it persists I will go see a dermatoligist but thought you might give me some insight in the meantime.

Thanks for your help.

This does not sound like an STD.

The common rashes in the area you describe are friction, psoriasis, or possibly yeast of fungus.  Your addition of "bumps" raises the possibility of folliculitis, or blocked pores.

I advise you to make an appointment with a dermatologist.  Meanwhile, powder liberally after showering and apply an OTC antibiotic like bacitracin or neosporin daily.

If the rash disappears before your appointment, you may be able to skip it, or perhaps reschedule when or if it recurs.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
By the way I don't know if this matters but the rash does extend down the back of eack leg about 1 1/2 inches in some places.

Thanks,

Biloximac
my three year old daughter has developed a rash on her buttocks and red rings around her ankles today.

Do you know what this is?

and what medical treatment needed(eg. cream).

or do i see a doctor
What was the outcome of your search on a cure for the problem.  I've had the same problem with other fungus areas such as the patch on my leg which remains red and scaley.  After treating it, it will turn dormant with a brown color and remain that way for a while and then on to the next patch. It sometimes will weep after I scratch.  The best treatment I found so far is a perscription Gel called "Lydex"...As far as the buttocks problem I try the usual tratments but it seems I just have to wait it out and then in a few months or weeks it's back.....
A related discussion, i have a sore, and bumps around anus was started.
A related discussion, rash was started.
A related discussion, fungus problems was started.
A related discussion, rashes in the battock was started.
A related discussion, rash like symptoms on stomach buttox and back of legs was started.
I toohave a bumpy rash that inches from my anus but mostly between my cheeks i work out at the gum daily and thought it could be the sweat     very irrational
Should i be threaten by this     please help me doc  
A related discussion, Unidentified Rash I get in the summertime was started.