Rash on Neck and Abdomin(abdomen)-contagious?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

About 3 weeks ago my daughter developed a rash on her neck and upper chest area. It looked as if she was heated or blushing and it didn't concern me at the time, as it was gone by morning. This rash has come back again every 3-4 days for the past 3 weeks. About 2 weeks ago, my son began developing the same type of rash, but his is on his stomach and abdomin (abdomen) area. Both are itchy, and seem to come and go within 24 hours. I took them to the doctor and he diagnosed Poison Ivy, problem is-its the middle of winter, there is no Poison Ivy and Poison Ivy does not come and go like this. There appears to be no other symtoms (symptoms) other than to be contagious. I have not switched laundry soaps or any other household products, so this can be ruled out. Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Is there any history of allergies in the family?

This appears like an allergic dermatitis. The only thing to consider now is to identify the trigger.If there were no other associated symptoms of fever, eye redness or tearing, nasal discharge, joint pains,cough and diarrhea, I do not think an infectious process is involved. Although, infection as an underlying cause may not be completely ruled out.A complete blood count to rule out an infection may be done. If pain in swallowing or a sore throat is present, then an ASO titer determination and culture of a throat swab may be done.

Ask your physician if antihistamines may be given to help alleviate the itchiness that comes with the rash .Using a mild and bland soap to cleanse the body may help. Choose products that are organic and hypoallergenic.

Was there any history of travel or camping trips prior to the onset of the rash?
Thank you for responding to my post. My son has been hunting and fishing (in the woods) during this time frame, but not my daughter, and my daughter started to have the rash 1st. No problems swallowing, no joint pain...just this rash coming and going. My husband and I have not developed it. Just wondering if it's a kid thing...they are 14&16?
Will put my foot down with Doctor this time and ask for a blood test on Friday. Thank you again. PS. mild allergy history, but to common environmental type things, which they seem to have already grown out of.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You have not mentioned of any itchiness that is associated with the rash. At this point, a bacterial or viral cause may be differentials. Although, an allergic component may also be considered.

A complete blood count may not help with the exact diagnosis but this may help guide your physician determine  the most likely cause of the rash (on whether bacterial or viral) .

If there is no associated fever, pain in swallowing, eye tearing and redness ,then this may not be something urgent.Just note any change in your daughter's symptoms.

How is your son? Has the rash resolved spontaneously ?

Do keep us posted.
Hi Again, and thank you once more.

My daughters rash went away Sunday evening. My sons returned Monday morning. Both have itching involved and no other symptoms that I can see. ( I've checked them head to toe) I bought some Cediphil this wkd and they have been using it since then. They each have their own seperate bar to use.  We have an appt Friday with their own Doctor ( I originally went to a walk in clinic - not their own physician ) so I think she will be a little more insightful-or willing to order tests if she feels they're needed.

Thank you again-will let you know how it works out