Rash on arms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rash on arms

I developed a rash on both of my arms from the elbow down about 2 days ago. Went to an acute care center, but she wasn't for sure either and just stuck me with the diagnosis "contact dermatitis." I'm worried that might not be what it is though. The only new thing I've been exposed to is Zodiac flea spray, and it didn't get directly on my skin, I sprayed it on my cat, had to go on a business trip, came back a week later and was holding him off and on throughout the weekend, and could have gotten it on my skin from contact with him. It seems farfetched to me though because I didn't spray that much on him, and it was a week after I sprayed him that I was actually holding him. We have a dog as well and i had her outside by the fence row and she got her leash tangled, but when i was untangling it, i only touched the foliage (i was worried about poison ivy, sumac, or oak) there with the tips of my fingers to get the chain untangled. Nothing else new has happened, no new soaps, perfumes, detergents, nothing. I was given a steroid shot and told to use OTC remedies like antihistamine creams. Nothing is working though and the itching is getting worse everyday. It's like a million little bumps (not really clusters, just random spots) all up and down both arms, and it's not just on the inside part anymore, it's spreading to the outer part of my arm and up over my elbow. It doesn't seem to be anywhere else but my arms though. The skin constantly stays red and irritated even when i haven't touched it for hours, and the bumps never change in size or shape. It's almost like having red arms with extreme, itchy, goosebumps, except concentrated on the inside of my arm. That's how many bumps there are. And the rash stays warmer than the surrounding skin all the time. Can someone please help me? There's got to be something that can be done, I'm about to itch the skin right off my arm. (And I've already been told about the bajillion antihistamine creams out there, does anyone have anything that will provide relief?)
From the suddenness of appearance of the itchy rash,it definitely sounds like contact dermatitis. Wash your arms with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Pat it dry.Then apply calamine lotion or mild steroid crewam on the rash.Also continue taking the antihistaminics that have been prescribed as sometimes thay may be needed for prolonged periods(weeks).If the symptoms are severe,then oral steroids may be needed.I would suggest a dermatologist’s consultation in that case.

I sincerely hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.