Dermatology Expert Forum
Rashes on face?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Rashes on face?

Hi, I've recently started developing a dry patches on my face.  It started a little under a year ago.  The funny thing about these dry patches is that they are almost symetrical.  The first one started just under my right eye, small then grew to about the size of a dime.  The second one started under my left eye in the same manner.  shortly after the left patch, a new one started underneath the first one in the area where a mustache would grow, smaller than the first two, yet still itchy and flaky like the others.  The story continues, the 4th under the 2nd in the mustache area, the 5th on the chin at the edge where a gottee might be trimmed. the 6th on the oppesite side.  As of now, only 3 sets of twin rashes have formed.  Every day I put Vitamin E lotion on them and the flakyness goes away for the day, but the redness is still there.  Can taking too much Vit E everyday in supliments cause this.  The initial symptoms are when they first start developing, they itch, after they've stopped itching, they just flake till I put the lotion on them.

Hope to hear from you.    Thank you    J Perry
J:

What you're describing is not dryness but eczema.  This looks and feels "dry," but doesn't behave that way, as your meticulous description makes clear.

Eczema is not an allergy.  Changing cleansers and other skin products is not helpful.  Applying a weak hydrocortisome preparation, like OTC 1% hydrocortisone, is both safe and effective.  You should see fast improvement in just a few days.

Eczema comes and goes for no reason.  The best approach is to treat the symptoms when they are there, and ignore them otherwise.

Try it.  You'll like it!

Dr. R
I have recently developed an itchy rash on my face, mostly above my eyes on the eyelids, around my nose and mouth.  I have had to switch the brand of cosmetics I use twice before (8 years ago and 2 years ago; but I have had very good luck with the current brand. I have also noticed that my orthocyclen bcp's have kept me blemish free for several years now. I noticed that this current rash started about the same time we acquired a family pet poodle.  Could the dog be causing my rash?  I use a hydrocortisone valerate cream every other day but I really don't see much improvement.  I have tried not wearing make-up for 7 or 8 days at a time but haven't noticed much improvement.  My GP thinks it is cosmetic related; but my instinct says it could be the dog.  Is this possible?  Thank You
Nope-don't blame the pooch.  Sounds like you have eczema unrelated to any external factor.  best to treat it when it's there (start with 1% hydrocortisone, OTC) and ignore it when it's gone.

best.

Dr. R
since the birth of my 3 year old child, i have a rash in the middle of my face.  its around both eyes and around my nose and mouth.  this skin is much lighter then the rest of my face.  during summer months the outer edges of my face and neck are a lot darker then this area.  i have also now developed 2 small red bumps. the area is not dry and does not itch.  i have been tested for lupus and the test have come back negative.  may you can give me some ideas of where to turn next.

thanks

c
hello, since the last couple of years ive developed scaly lesions in my head which soemtime become inflamed with itching . also , ive had inflamed lesions on my face . ive been going to a dermatologist for a year. and he tells me its psoriasis, he also states it could be due to the spores "fungus " in the air.i live in GA. ive used every medication from nizoral tablets to lidex e,and many other topical steroids. could i be allergic to something? please help!
Since I was 14 years old, I have had a strage re-occurrence of a skin rash on my face. It starts red on both cheeks and then by the next morning the marks turned into red blothes under my eyes. They do not itch, but burn very badly. The occurrence takes place more in the summer thean winter. My derm. tells me it is Sebboreah Dermititis and gave me a cream to relax the burning. However, the cream does not work, and she has no more advice for me. The marks become deep purple as if I have been severely burned on the face. I can't work, or go to school. My Dr. also adviced me not to apply any make-up because the protective layer of skin is gone, and I may become infected by something. My skin is also more open to germs and disease and I would hate to have a disease growing from my face!!! Please help me!!!
A related discussion, facial rash was started.
A related discussion, face rashesack was started.
A related discussion, warm red spots on cheeks of my 7 year old was started.
A related discussion, Skin problem was started.
A related discussion, rashes on face was started.
A related discussion, rash on face was started.