Recurring Impetigo
I was first diagnosed with impetigo in March 2007.  Itching started on my nose and a few days after the honey-colored lesions started.  The condition cleared up fully in about a month and half.  Two weeks ago (February 2008), the impetigo flared up again but this time only on the inside of the left nostril.  I took cephalexin for 7 days and have been using mupirocin on the lesions.  I visited my dermatologist again yesterday and he has now ordered Protopic for the outside of my nose for atopic dermatitis and Altabax for the lesions on the inside of the nose (impetigo).  He believes that based on the continued severe itching on my nose that I may also be allergic to something in either the mupirocin or desonide that I was using before.  I have 2 concerns today since I have seen that  Protopic has a very serious warning about possible skin cancer and cancer of the lymph nodes -- I am not going to be using Protopic, is there an alternative?  Also, Altabax states very clearly that it is not to be used inside the nose, should I go ahead anyway as prescribed by my doctor?
I have had similar problems with impetigo on my nose, around lips, chin, at the opening of my right nostril and even side of my face near where my eyebrow ends.  It has been going on since summer of 2007.  I was prescribed Keflex as an antibiotic and mupirocin cream.  Although the three spots I had going cleared up within a week or so, a brand new one started on the side of my face like I said above.  However, I but the cream on it 4 or 5 times a day and especially at night, and it cleared up in 4 or 5 days.  They used to stay for over 2 months before treatment.  I just don't want to have to be using this dumb cream for the rest of my life to treat these. Is there something that actually cures this condition?