Recurring lumps around vagina area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring lumps around vagina area

Hi there

For the last couple of years I have had recurring lumps/bumps that come and go around my vagina - (outer labia). I have been to the doctor - nothing. I have been to a nursing clinic - nothing. I have been told I have bacterial vaginosis but that does not seem to cause any sore bumps. I have previously suffered from Staph infections on other parts of my body but have not had one for a long time. These bumps differ all the time - sometimes they come to a head and bleed/puss and other times they stay underneath the skin and disappear after a while. Sometimes they can be excrutiatingly painful and other times not even a little sore? At the moment I have one that has been there for a long time and it just keeps bleeding, but when I squeeze it the blood comes out a couple of inches away from the lump? It's really hard to explain! I am so so sick of these I have no idea what it is and the doctor said "stop shaving" but I really dont think it is ingrown hairs because of where they are sometimes.

I have been with the same partner for over 3 years so it is not an STD. Some of them leave scars and it's really making me upset and ruining my sex life with my partner as I'm so self conscious about it.

I have looked up numerous types of cysts but none seem to match what I have. If the doctor cant tell me what it is what am I supposed to do?

Please help me!!

Rach264
Many possibilities are there. They can be bartholin’s cysts, infected hair follicles, sebaceous cysts (accumulations of secretions that can occur anywhere on the skin or mucosal surfaces), lipomas (fatty deposits) ,fibromas (fibrous tissue deposits) or viral warts(small raised pimples to a mass of large, cauliflower-like growths. The virus that causes them is passed on during sex).

An examination by a gynecologist will be the best as it is only after an examination that it will become clear what the swellings that you have noticed are due to.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

The closest picture I have found that looks similar to what I have is sebaceous cysts although the symptoms of it arent that similar. It says that a foul smelling "cheesy" liquid comes out of them and that they move freely under the skin. I do not have these symptoms. The one I have right now has been there for about 3 or 4 weeks now and it keeps draining itself but then a few days later it is swollen again? I just want it to go away!!
Generally sebaceous cysts are painless and no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.
I hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers