Recurring sores on hands and feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Recurring sores on hands and feet

About 3 years ago my wife broke her foot and leg and was in a cast for several weeks. After they took the cast off she noticed these small dots that look like dried blood under the surface of the skin. Over the course of a few days they will develop into wart like bumps that harden and that look much like a small insect or spider bite. You may see just one, one you may find a cluster of 2-4 together. They seem to grown on or near joints and digit tips. They itch constantly and the bumps eventually fall off or dissipate in 7-10 days.

This eventually spread to her hands and now to me. We seem to only get them on our hands and feet. I wash my hands several times a day which seems to have no effect. My wife has it on both hands and feet now where as I only have it a bit on my right foot and mostly on my right hand; which is the hand I use to hold hers.

I went to see a Dermatologist who looked for 30 seconds and pronounced it as Psorarisis without hearing my story. He prescribed a cream that did nothing. My family doctor gave us a course of antibiotics that seem to work but the problem retuned after we completed the antibiotics.

I researched this on the web and found there was a similar type of issue with athletes feet so we tried using Tinactin cream which worked till we discontinued its use; and then the problem started all over again.

I am concerned about spreading this to others and the long term ramifications on our health.

I had the same problem for a year.  It was bed bugs.    The thing is my husband slept next to me every night and not a single bite.  We checked our bed many times, even got rid of the mattress and box springs and bought new but still sores on hands and feet that itched.  

Try this.  cover your mattress and box springs in zippered plastic covers, pillows also.  Then detatch your headboard from the frame of your bed and move it out from the wall.  Spray the frame with any bug spray containing pyretherin.  The wrap the legs of your bed in double sided carpet tape.  It seems like a lot of work but if your hands and feet itched like mine did and the sores were so embarassing it is worth a try as we found out that was our problem.  Bed bugs are very common anymore as the bug killers they used to use that caused cancer do not kill the bed begs long term.    We were cleaning out some baskets one day  and here were the bed bugs. They can live in alarm clocks, lamps, behind wall outlets and more.

If you find it is bed bugs, bad news is you have to have your house exterminated  several times and they suggest your "island" bed for  at least one year at least as bed bugs can live 18 months without a blood meal.  Nasty little critters.  
my husband has a spot on his foot that looks like a sore, his feet feel as if they are on fire, a place on his thumb which also will not heal.  Blood work lately