Red, bumpy, underarm rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, bumpy, underarm rash

9109327?1368483946
Hi, I've had this left underarm rash on and off for maybe a year or year and a half. It was never really too bad before. One day my left armpit just got really itchy and some red bumpy patches appeared. Rubbed some Lotrimin and Hydrocortisone on it and it would go away for a while. Not really sure which cream did the work. Weeks later, my arm would get itchy again and some of the rash came back. Haven't had it since about late January/early February until recently. Scratched my arm a little, and BAM it came back. Sometimes the urge to itch is very strong but I'm pretty good about not touching it, but clothes and friction kind itch it on their own.

I don't have any more Lotrimin, and I'm not using Hydrocortisone right now because I'm trying Blue Star Ointment to see if that works. Its only been about 2 days, so I feel like its too early too tell. However, it still looks mostly the same. Not really sure if this matters, but I'm an avid gym-goer and go about 4 times a week, and I do shower after I finish. I am also taking protein/weight gainer, and I don't really eat fast food or anything too greasy often. I'm also HIV negative, most recently confirmed 2/22/13. Not sure if any of my activities have to do with this rash issue.

However, I have had a history with ringworm on my right underarm for about 2 or 3 years. Its been on and off, and I recently went to the dermatologist about it, but the rash from the left arm disappeared before I could even show it to the doctor. The ringworm and the left arm rash look nothing alike, so I don't know if the two are related at all.

Any help identifying this rash and how to treat it would be greatly appreciated!
help?
It does appear like some allergic type of rash.
Could be a sweat rash, or a bacterial or fungal problem.

I would suggest you see the doctor so that he can prescribe the right medication for you.

In the meantime, do not use any soap, or shower gels and do not use any underarm deodorant.  Use gentle soaps like Simple or baby washes.
Wash your clothes in non-biological detergents and wear cotton clothes.

When you go to the gym are you touching any equipment with your bare arms?  You may have picked up an infection from the gym equipment.
You are doing the right thing in not trying to scratch (difficult I know) because it will make it worse.

Some years ago I had a mammogram and had a terrible itchy rash on my underarms, I was allergic to the solution they used to wash the equipment.

Hope you get sorted out soon.

Best wishes.
It has started to fall off little by little with the Blue Star Ointment, so that's something. I've also been using Uncle Tom's Deoderant which is suppose to be all natural, so not sure if that makes a difference or not. When I'm at the gym, skin does touch some of the equipment surfaces, but I make sure to wipe it down with a paper towel and the gym's cleaning liquid before using it.
That's good that it is getting better.  The Blue Star Ointment (never heard of it) seems to be helping.

It could be that you are having an allergic reaction to the cleaning liquid at the gym.  It may be worth you using the cleaning liquid and then wiping it down with a clean damp cloth, or covering the bars with a towel so that you do not touch the equipment.

Other option is to wear long sleeved garments.

Best wishes.