Red, itchy, swollen ears

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red, itchy, swollen ears

I woke up yesterday with my right, top outer ear (front and back) being red, a little warm swollen and itching uncontrollably.  I took some Benadryl last night and it helped me sleep, but it continues to itch like crazy!  What could it be and what can I do to help control the non-stop itching?  Thanks!
Unexpected swelling and itching of the ear is not  normal. It is frequently caused by allergies. An allergic reaction can occur suddenly, even in a person with no previous history of allergy. This swelling is called angioedema. Diagnosis is by clinical examination and complete blood tests, electrolytes and renal function tests. Treatment is by antihistaminics like Benadryl or Zyrtec and steroids. If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a physician. I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Hello!

I went with the same symptoms to a ENT Doctor yesterday and he gave me antibiotik CIPRO- 750 mg twice a day and wanted to give me Prednisone- 40mg twice a day as well. but I am aware of major intercation betweeh antibiotiks and steroids and refused. Then he told me to takeonly the CIPRO and double the Zyrtec. I am not any better today and my ear is turning purple. Should I go to dermatologist or should I get tested for allergies? I am not sure what to do anymore...