Red Bump on Inner thigh/Groin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red Bump on Inner thigh/Groin

2806137?1208748071
I noticed this red slightly raised bump on my groin area and one lower down on my thigh. It seems to change colors...at times its red, others its lighter in pigmentation. Also seems to be on the dry side. I am not sure what this could be. See pictures below.

Thanks for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This seems to be folliculitis. With the way I see it in the image it appears pimple like.

Do you frequently shave the area?

Folliculitis is a bacterial infection brought about by a skin bacteria called Staphylococcus. This may manifest as a reddish bump on the skin involving the hair follicles .Folliculitis is contagious. In your case, this is just a differential. Other differentials will be acne .It doesn't look like molluscum or warts to me.

Keep the area dry and clean at all times. Refrain from unnecessarily touching or scratching the area to prevent its spread. Washing with a mild and bland cleanser and antimicrobial soaps may help.

Are there any other associated symptoms?
Thank you for a quick response.

I thought that it might be related to shaving, but I have a similar spot lower down on my inner thigh where I do not shave.

It is a flat, although slightely raised "pimple-" like spot. It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't seem to be filled with pus or anything of the sort.

What could this be? And how do I treat it?

Thanks again.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Folliculitis is only one of the differential. The common wart and skin tags are also differentials. At this point, using antimicrobial soaps may help. If folliculitis and the common wart are differentials then it may be best to have this checked by a dermatologist since this may be contagious. These conditions may be easily remedied using oral antibiotics and in the case of a wart, cautery or topical medications may help.

This does not seem to be urgent, but for an initial consult, an assessment by your doctor may help. Just avoid frequently shaving the area. Use razors with sharp blades only and do keep the area dry and clean always. Your doctor will be able to give the right medications depending on the results of the examination. It is important to note that the management for folliculitis differs from that of a wart or fungal infection. So it is best to be sure of the diagnosis first before anything is applied on the area.