Red 'patch' on my upper arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red 'patch' on my upper arm

Hi. I am a 20 yr old male. I have this patch that I think (maybe not) is getting slighlty larger. It does not itch or causes me a pain. I think I've started noticing it just over a month ago, but I dont remember seeing it in summer. In September I've started taking swimming lesson at the public pool, and it was then when I've started noticing a small dry reddish patch forming on my arm, but didn't pay much attention to it. A month ago I've been to a walk-in clinic and a doctor told me it was a somekind of fungus or inflammatory reaction to something and gave me this "Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%" to apply 3 times a day for two weeks. I did that but it didn't help, and instead I Think (or maybe not) it got slightly larger. Then I went to a different walk-in doctor and he told me that the first cream was useless!!! and that I had a fungus infection of some kind and gave me this "Viaderm-K.C." Cream to try for 5 days. Today is the forth day and I havent noticed any improvement.  I'm waiting for an appointment with REAL dermatologist and am really scared, cause I've read too much scary stuff on the internet. I really hope you guys can tell me what it is. The inside 'surface' of it is flat and soft, and skin color when it is not covered with medication, plus there are 'dry' edges around that patch... and there is a same small patch right beside it (down) Here are some pictures:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0148rr3.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0149jm6.jpg

I would be really greatful if someone can help me and tell me what it is before my doctor's appointment. I m really scared (((((((

This could be ringworm or some similar lesion.

Ringworm can be mistaken for one of the following conditions: granuloma annulare, discoid lupus, and sarcoidosis.

Bullous tinea pedis (athlete foot with blisters) can mimic bullous drug reactions, bullous pemphigoid, and other bullous diseases of the skin.

Skin medication is usually successful at treating Ringworm within 4 weeks.

Advice often given to prevent ringworm includes:

* Avoidance of sharing clothing, sports equipment, towels, or sheets.
* Washing clothes in hot water with fungicidal soap after suspected exposure to ringworm.
* Avoidance of walking barefoot, wearing of appropriate protective shoes to the beach and flip-flops/thongs in locker rooms.
* After being exposed to places where the potential of being infected is great , washing with an antibacterial and anti-fungal soap or one that contains Tea Tree Oil, which contains terpinen-4-ol.

The treatment options include - Topical antifungal agents such as terbinafine 1% cream (Lamasil) applied twice daily until symptoms resolve (usually 1-2 weeks). Terbinifine is not recommended for children < 2 years old or anyone with impaired hepatic function.

Systemically with oral medications, especially for scalp ring worm, or infection of the finger nails or toe nails.

Call your doctor if:
    * Ringworm infects your scalp or beard.
    * His skin does not improve after 4 weeks of self-care.

If suspected ringworm does not respond to routine antifungal treatment, further diagnostics must be performed, like a skin biopsy, a fungal culture, or a skin scraping for fungus identification.

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
Thank you for a quick reply. But is it a ringworm? I saw some pictures on internet and the ringworm:

http://z.about.com/d/pediatrics/1/0/a/2/ringworm.jpg

I don't have that, mine is a patch with dry edges, and flat, smooth kinda, inside.

Like i said in my previous post - This could be ringworm or some similar lesion. Nothing can be said with surety without a clinical examination.

Regards.