Red sticky smelly spot in my groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red sticky smelly spot in my groin area

5 weeks ago I went camping and the first day I slept at the camp I woke up and by the afternoon I had a very strong smelly smell. The smell has continued ever since and hasn't lessened. Ive been to atleast 7 doctors but they all seem to ignore me when I tell them about this. It's located in m upper right thigh where the skin touches the testicle. It's a red spot without and white spots in the middle, no rigged outline or anything, just a red spot. The red spot doesn't seem to respond to anything i've tried using: antiseptic, docotr prescribed mentridazole ( I think that's thr name of it). I've teed using gold bond powder but that doesn't seem to wok. I take showers daily and change my underwater every day. The smell has been described as "musky", as some frien have pointed out to me. I'm extremely stressed by this, seem to be no curre. First time this happens. Oh yea, when o run my finger over the sticky red spot, my finger ends up with the same stickiness. Plz help, thanks

also, if it means anything, the smell causes my throat to get very dry, and that of othervwho have smelt this odor
Smell from any lesion on the skin and stickiness can be due to fungal infection. Most cases of fungal infections respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine,ketaconazole and clotrimazole.You can consult a pharmacist and get any cream or lotion containing these ingredients. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral. Also wear cotton clothes and change the clothes twice.

If the symptoms persist then oral antifungals may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hey kind do u think I could be dealing with some sort of a man yeast infection? I read some symptoms online were redness, mild itchiness,  and some oter ones and I think that's what is causing my bad smell

I've been to quite a few doctors tho, 8 to be specific... Gone 4 timess to see one. And they don't seem to be able to detect anything

plz respond ASAP summer coming along and I'm a really active guy!
Fungal infection and yeast infection mean the same. I suggest you to get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings done to confirm the diagnosis. If it comes positive then topical and oral antifungals may be needed. I hope this helps. Take care and regards.

I have the exact same thing but worse. Right in the crease where my thigh meets my groin/testicles, the entire fold is bright red with some raised white spots, it's moist and it smells absolutely horrible. Sometimes when I squat down at work I can smell it through my pants. After washing with antibacterial soap I rub it with alcohol which burns really bad then I wipe it down with iodine followed by clotrimazole cream. This helps but usually once a month it comes back with a vengence. I basicaly feel like my sex life is over and that I have been cursed and diseased. NOTHING GETS RID OF IT. NOTHING. And, this is the best part, NO ONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. they just shake their heads and say to wash it and dry it. Oh really, wash it and dry it, thanks Einstien.
i got the same thing.. and take a shower like two times a day AND try acidophilus.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactobacillus_acidophilus
Dear Dr,

Is it something to do with STD's??

Regards,

Lamisil ointment sort u right out with immediate effects :)
Lamisil folks! In uk its marketed as athletes foot cream. On the side of the box is says also for dhobie itch. I got the cream. I dont know how or why, although damp towel and not drying properly had something to do with it, i developed a red rash in my groin. There were also white headed spots and sticky, smelly patches. Most nasty. All this took around a month to manifest completely. I had chosen to ignore it and keep area dry and clean but one day when undressing i noticed the smell. God it smells bad. That was the last straw. My gf got me the cream after what i had read on here and the next day i saw an improvement. Day five now and its all but gone. All healed all back to normal. Its called lamisil i will list the ingrediants here. Good luck and dont worry. Lamisil - terbinafine hydrochloride, sodium hydroxide, benzyl alcohol, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, isopropyl myristate, purified water. Produced by Novartis Consumer Health, Horsham. UK.
I had exactly the same ... Mine comes and goes for ages was misdiagnosed ... I went to skin doctor and saw a professor in dermatology he looked and went abd got a UV lamp I think and shone it on groin.. groin lit up orange pink ... I cannot remember what the rash was called but he was suprised that I had this he prescribe a ointment to apply, but I also had to put in my nose as that is where the thing lived ... ?? I have recently got it back .. please go to your dermatologist and tell him this I Google searched and could only find this link ... I don't know if that is it ... I had exact symptoms you have all describe
http://dermatology.about.com/od/infectionbacteria/a/erythrasma.htm
3 words for everybody... Tea Tree Oil. Works like a charm, and starts to clear up in one day! And it completely neutralizes the odor. Try it, and let me know if it works for you.