Red swollen painful finger

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red swollen painful finger

I noticed last night that my finger started hurting a bit almost like an ingrown toenail pain.  I figured it would go away, but when I awoke this morning it was extremely painful, red and swollen.  I then noticed a little bump on the side of my finger that was not there. My finger had gotten worse, red and warm to the touch and the swelling has went from the to slightly down the finger with the redness travelling down the side of the finger and down the middle of the top of my hand.  Everyone keeps telling my just to soak it, I probably got bitten or it's infected.  Should I seek  medical attention or is this something I can handle on my own?
You need to show it to a doctor as soon as possible. It looks like an insect bite and the redness can be due to cellulitis. Cellulitis is an acute infection of skin and soft tissues characterized by localized pain, swelling, tenderness, erythema, and warmth.It usually follows a break in the skin, such as a fissure, cut, laceration, insect bite, or puncture wound.

You need oral antibiotics as soon as possible. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.