Reversal of Corticosteroid Damage?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Reversal of Corticosteroid Damage?

For about a year, on and off, I was prescribed various anti-fungal and hydro-cortisone ointment and creams by my doctor, and later my dermatologist to deal with itching on my scrotum and at the base of my penis shaft (where it meets the scrotum). No treatments seemed to help, so I eventually gave up on all prescription, about a year later and hoped the issue would resolve itself. It has now been a year since I gave up on doctors, and nearly two years since my problem began (august of 2009), and I find that my scrotal skin is hypersensitive. Just wearing pants causes me to experience itching and soreness. I don't know if its normal because i can't really remember how the skin used to look, but there is a "shinyness" about the skin, particularly where the penis hangs over the scrotum. In addition, the fordyce spots in this area are extra pronounced. I did a bit of my own internet research, having given up on my doc, and came across some unsettling information about steroid induced skin atrophy. I am in a panic that the cortisone treatments have permanently damaged my skin. Is this likely? I notice no striae, which i've read indicate atrophy, but the skin does seem to have lost some of its colour, and is, as i mentioned before, "shinyer"than before. Is soreness and itching a symptom of atrophy? Will the atrophy be resolved over time on its own? (I am only 20 yrs old.) In my panic I have searched the web for methods of reversing atrophy, and have come across a great deal of information about a product called "Tretinoin," which apparently helps to reverse skin atrophy. Is it advisable to use this or something similar on an area so sensitive as the scrotum? Obviously I will return to my dermatologist in person to ask, but I was hoping to get some insight from you. This condition is severely depressing as it is always on my mind.  
Corticosteroid/cortisone creams have indeed been reported to cause problems to so many people. I was prescribed a Hydrocortisone by my dermatologist for this hypo-pigmentation on my penis. But after doing some research I realized it's not safe for a long-term use. I only used it for a week and immediately discontinued after knowing that it could cause skin atrophy. Hydrocortisone applied on other areas but your genitals might not be as dangerous as if you apply it on your penis, because penis skin is a lot thinner than the rest of the body.

There is another post on this forum by a guy who's gonna sue a derm in California for prescribing him Hydrocortisone without informing him that applying it on your penis might result in serious consequences (he described the exact same conditions that you're experiencing). You might want to search and take a look at it.  

All the best!!
That's the last thing i wanted to hear :(
I really would like to hear a doctors opinion, this is getting me so down. An expert opinion would help me think more clearly.
I'm sorry, didn't mean to get you down... I'm very sure there are treatments available for your condition, you'd just have to see a dermatologist right away (please visit a good one this time). Meanwhile maybe Dr. Bhupinder has something to say...Dr?

Keep your chin up! ;)
Using on and off corticosetroids is less likely to cause steroid induced atrophy skin. It is only after using topical steroids for a long time that this side effect results. However in your case from the symptoms that you have described i.e thin, red and shiny skin, this possibility cannot be denied. But on the positive note, since you used it off and on it should be mild and reversible.

I don’t suggest the use of tretinoin without a medical supervision as it may cause more harm than good. Instead, you can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Jimmy

I have the same skin problem as yours. Is your problem solved now.
If it is, please let me know the treatement you have followed
Hi Jimmy,
I too was prescribed a steroid/anti-fungal cream. I was told to apply it to the foreskin and glans (glands) of my penis and it caused skin atrophy. Please let me know if anything has worked for you. Hope yours is better. I'm praying that I'll find a solution or time will heal it.
I'm so sorry to hear this my friend.  I don't wish to further depress you, but this is indeed permanent.  I am living proof.  I was prescribed Lotrisone (containing the potent steroid betamethasone dipropionate) for a rash on my nuts and I got serious burns that sent me to the emergency room.  I used the Lotrisone for 10 days.  When I complained to one of the doctors of bright red testicles and burning he told me he was not concerned, that I could keep on using it for the 2 weeks I had been told to use it.  My gut told me otherwise, but there was something about a doctor telling me not to worry that made me think maybe I was overreacting and let my guard down.  Anyway, by the time I spoke to him it was already too late because I've read that Lotrisone can do irreversible damage in as little as three days.  That was in 2006 and I'm no better.  My scrotal skin looked so bad today (six years later), like thin crepe paper.  Very red.  Just totally mutilated.  Now I've been having strange electrical shock like sensations in my groin area and testicles when I have sex (sometimes when I'm not).  I had some particularly serious pain for two days the other days.  The right testicle hurt terribly, as well as the area between the testicles and the body and this pain went all the way up to the groin area on my right side.  The doctor thought it might be a hernia, but that came back negative.  I have a strange feeling it has something to do with the nerve damage I'm sure I got back in 2006 when I got burned.  If the skin was damaged so severely, I can only image the thin veins and capillaries contained within did as well.  I am beyond shocked that these doctors continue to prescribe these powerful steroids to people without a care in the world and they just dismiss anyone who tells them this stuff is not safe. It's feels like a conspiracy from some movie. I'm in a nightmare I will never be able to wake up from.  And I can't ever kick this depression because of this.  My whole life has been affected.  It's like I had a life and suddenly I hit a brick wall.
Not to mention that I suffer from Vitiligo, hair loss and have a messed up knee as well.  I guess the stupid doctors (and the pharmacist) who did this to me didn't think I was being punished enough.
Why is it that NO doctors talk about the rebound effect that happens after applying topical steroids to the skin, especially the groin area. The groin absorbs 30-40% of the steroid, much much more than other parts of the body.

LET ME BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS.

ANY Doctor who prescribes lotrisone for a guy to apply to his penis for a fungal infection has NO clue what risk they are taking with that persons life. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

So Doctors, if you are really out to ruin peoples lives then keep telling your patients to apply a steroid to their penis, because that's all you are doing.

NEVER NEVER EVER USED STEROIDS FOR ANYTHING IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE FOREVER........ I know from personal experience i suffered for almost 10 years numerous ailments with no cure or diagnosis in sight. it all started after using cortisone creams and nebulizers both contain very powerfull and dangerous steroids . this class of drugs should be banned the side effects outweigh the conditions they are meant to cure.
Hi Jimmy.

I am so sorry for your situation.  I would really like to hear about possible solutions to your problem.  I have had a spider bite on my ankle for the last 5 years and have seen 20-25 doctors of all specialties.  The treatment of choice from all dermatologists has been topical cortisone ointments with strengths ranging from the strongest to the weakest, depending on the doctor.  While on the cortisone my problem seemed to improve dramatically, at least on the surface.  But once I try to stop, it comes back with a vengeance, so clearly the cortisone was a temporary fix.  The result has been redness, irritation, inflammation and swelling of the whole area and veins nearby.  Most often it becomes a superficial opened wound which burns, hurts, and is hypersensitive to everything in life including bandages, socks, pants, creams, and medicines.  So I understand your issue and it's horrible.  I have been working with many people nutritionally to build my immune system, strengthen my skin, and try and protect the area.  Prutect, a prescription cream, has been somewhat helpful at times.  So has soaks with 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 water and ice cubes (might be difficult for you, sorry.)  But I am still struggling and often miserable and depressed, living my life from the feet up.  It's affecting every area of my life.  I hope someone with good knowledge responds to us to help us.

SpiderwomanFromNJ
Hi Jimmy.  I hope your problem is resolved by now or that you will  see this next entry of mine.  I wanted to thank you and all the people who responded in this conversation.  It gave me clarity to investigate and realize that my problem at this point is what is called in Wikipedia Steroid Atrophy.  Cortical steroids for 5 years for a spider bite has significantly damaged my skin in its deepest layers.  It may sound strange but I actually was thrilled to finally have a diagnosis for my never ending problem. It has taken me 5 years to figure it out. It allowed me to figure out what needs to happen next, and why all my efforts were not working.  It was because I continued to follow Dr's directions and use the cortisone the whole 5 years.  Most things I read said that at my level, it is permanent damage.  But I am dismissing that since I have some tools that I expect will help me recover, maybe even completely.  Nutrition is huge.  I went on line to see what foods support healthy skin and collagen production and you can be sure I will be bombarding myself with them daily.  I also eat Sunrider International whole foods.  You get them on line and they do an amazing job supporting the body in its tasks, including creating healthy skin.  I am seeing a chiropractor now who has modern equipment to promote healing, i.e. a cold laser, electronic acupuncture, and a machine to decrease inflammation, plus lots of other things.  And I will continue with my ice milk soaks to decrease inflammation and help skin.  I am also looking to see what can be used as a skin mask directly on the area to replace some of the collagen, fat, and elastin that has been depleted by the steroids, i.e. smashed avocado, yogurt. And of course I have discontinued the steroid ointment.  I hope this information is helpful to you and others.  Best of luck to all of us in this situation.
Try Prumyx cream - it is a non-steroid and the only thing that has helped this problem. 3 weeks 3 times a day (talk to your doctor). It helps lock in moisture which leads healing.
To all who are suffering, I wonder is some of the problems can improve by following a paleo protocol diet that will improve your immune system and therefore help your body heal itself?
why
I used flutivate steroid which is a strong steoroid cream on my upper penis shaft skin because I got belanitis,. I  applied it on the lower half of my penis shaft. I had it on for two weeks. My skin broke down and is now thinner and have lots of striae as well due to healed scars. Every time I mastrubate I feel pain and the area becomes reddish. Doctors have confirmed atrophy from steroid and there is nothing they can do. My life is hell, I have lost all hope about finding a cure my only strategy is getting rid of the skin. I´m trying to search and find a plstic surgeon who can cut off the damaged skin. I dont know if it´s possible?

I guess my life is over
Hi Jimmy, how are you now?. Did you get better or found a way to recover?
Hi Jimmy,
I am 40 and have the same problem. I got Steroid induced skin thinning (dermal atrophy) because I use trimovate to treat psoriasis in that area for a week although I was using it before on and off and now the skin of my penis is reddish and much thinner.

My scrotum is the same.

Anyone of you has found a solution or got better?. Any hopes on how to sort this out?.

I found out that aloe Vera could help, anyone know anythings about this?.

Thanks for the updates on this
Hi mate,

My scrotum is the same.

Thanks for the updates on this
Hi Caliman,

My scrotum is the same.

Thanks for the updates on this
there is no solution...surgery is the only solution...the steroid thinning is not reversible..i have had this for 5 years. Any doctor saying it´s reversible is lying. I´m trying to read everything about surgery now so the skin can be removed...i will probably look like a freak after but i want the pain to go away
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/232089692_Treatment_of_steroid_atrophy_with_topical_tretinoin_in_the_hairless_mouse_A_histologic_biochemical_and_immunochemical_analysis
I have same problem, betamethasone dipropionate steroid used on scrotum leaves real mess (red skin and skin atrophy). I am doing long research and yes, tretinoin can help but it can be really bad in terms of pain (iw will burn your skin). But there is a little hope, vitamin D3:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1510095/

Calcitriol used topically ("Silkis" for example) can reverse skin atrophy, there are studies about this (link) and yes, probably without burning effect of retinoids. Keep in mind that this is Vitamin D3 and will affect calcium, so check your calcium before use :

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/calcitriol-topical.html

I am really envy that it can help, i am currently recovering psychically from from devastation of steroid, but i will probably try this cure, after doxycycline teraphy for red scrotum. Really it is only one that i have in my mind after really long search, after copper peptides, retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids (Amlactin) - i do not try theese and i dont think they will work.
And one more thing, if you try any of these solution please post them in this thread (this is most updated one) so we can help eachother guys.

regards,
the first study you linked is from 1994? If they have had 16 years to test it wouldn´t this be out now if it would work?

"Calcitriol is a form of vitamin D. It works by decreasing the rate of skin cell reproduction."

why would i want a drecrease in skin cell reproduction? I want the opposite!  How can  a decrease in skin cell production regenerate new thicker skin? Not following here?!

Do you have a mail? Have you thought about surgery or skin graft? I have my atrophy on my shaft skin..it´s the lower part so if i want to mastrubate the pain comes...there are also scars and the skin is much thinner. I have seen a plastic surgeoin/urologist who says he can do surgery. I haven´t had the guts yet to go through with it cause i fear an even worse result (if possible?)  

I have read your threads on different forums and i feel your pain literally i guess one could say in this position)

My mail is ***@****

I would like to know more about D3 and what you have discovered. I´m familiar with tretonoin and putting it on my penis shaft everyday for 6 months before seeing any results and have pain there is not something i look forward to.

What is d3, what´s the name of the product? What do you think about protopic, just to be painfree? It won´t bring back the skin but maybe take the pain away?

Please write back here or send me a mail? I don´t want to do the surgery but i see no other solution...Everytime i mastrubate the thin skins become irritated..the itching is hell..afterwards i can´t lie on my stomach.

I can´t believe this had happend to me and nobody can help me...it´s been 5 years and it´s never gonna heal on it´s own. I had it on for 2 weeks.
Surgey seems like the only realistic option. Haven´t you thought about this? Skin graft?
I don´t believe a couple of guys on a medhelp forum will find a cure for steroid atrophy when medical companies haven´t found it. I have seen a professor in dermatology, he said he couldn´t help me. A guy that devoted his life to skin? And then we´re gonna find a cure here? It´s over, surgery is the only option or using moisterizers for life 24/7. It´s been 5 years for me in this hell. I fear the surgery but i´m willing to take the risk. Can´t live like this anymore. If I do the surgery i will come back and write to you guys unless it didn´t go well the you´ll find me in the cementary.
Most up to date atricle is here :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4168021/

Calcipotiol is synthetic D3, it is proven that it will help as below. I read intructions of use of this cream (Sorel or Daivonex) and it is told that you cannot use it on face, so yeah it is pretty risky to use it on Scrotum :(
I think Calcitriol is natural form and more mild, it is advised to use it on face with cuctions to not to get to eye for example.
We can try and risk, or wait for some miracle medicament. I currently also try with alternative medicine so i will inform you all.

regards,

it´s one thing using that to prevent atrophy to occure and another thing treating already occured atrophy, thus bringing the destroyed skin back to normal.

only study i´ve seen where the skin was improved is the one done on hairless mice with tretinoin.

Can calcipotiol improve skin where atrophy has already occured is the big question here. If so why don´t doctors know about it and just give us the right medication then?  

Well, article show also that atrophy has been reversed with vitamin D3 topically use. This vitamin is not thinning skin, but return skin to it normal condition (thickening if skin is thinned, and thinning if thickened). Vitamin D3 mentioned in article was a strong ingrendient so better watch out and consult this with dermatologist. Also please keep in mind everything what you apply on scrotum will affect on penis and prostate because scrotum has 30% of absorption so PLEASE BE WARNED !. I will discuss D3 topically with my dermatologist who is pretty on topic with newest solutions, but i will talk to him in next couple of months. If you want to try safe method then :
- Search for OTC cream with vitamin d3 (Cholecalciferol - it should be mild) and use it couple of months and see results - it may help (didn't try for now)
- Get your vitamin D3 level check, and if it is low, get very high suplementation cycle. I have very low D3 level so currently i am talking 15 000 IU of Cholecalciferol daily. I will check my D3 level in next 3 months. I want to get my D3 level on very high level (get you resarch how D3 affect health - it is one of a most potent vitamins for overall health), yes i know that d3 orally has very last impact on skin but it may help a little (even if it will take year or two) so i give it a try.
- I think about getting some sun on my scrotum but i need to wait for summer, there are some information from people with skin atrophy on penis that sun really help with thickening and healing skin affected by steroids ! so i think it is vitamin D3 that have direct impact on damaged with steroid skin (vitamin d3 is produced directly in sun affected skin). Get your scrotum on sun for example for 3-5 minutes (or more) every day and see difference, Only downside is that you can get sunburn so you need to watch out. Also better is to not to use any sunblockers because it will block sunrays it is simple :). Tanning with devices is also a option but very risky in my opinion.
Search for advice in naturopath (diet and hebals), good dermatologist (if you have luck with finding one) and share with hime with your idea. Search for alternative solutions, herbals and medicaments. DO NOT get depressed, fight for your health because i know how important it is for men. And most important, SHARE your experiances so we can help eachother !
funny you mentioned being in the sun. I tried going to nudist beaches in the summer beacuse of this cause i also read it might improbe...and done so every summer since my problem began 5 years ago. It has made absolutely nothing to improve my skin on my penis shaft.   The skin just  became very easily sunburn and even more irritated and the burning is terrible. I will look into d3 as mentioned I just think the whole situation would be extremely bizarre if we a couple of guys on a forum would find a cream that would heal steroid related atrophy when no medical companies or doctors have nothing to offer us?  I don´t understrand why nobody wanna talk about surgery or skin graft that seem to be the only realistic treatment. I do understrand that would largely depend on how big the area of atrophy is and where it´s located. But stll, that is the only 100 percent relief I can see today even though the risk of complications is there.
since there is no more action in this thread i´ll give you my latest findings

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/50958-amlactin-apparently-reverses-skin-atrophy/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15214906

feel free to comment on this!
Please, i warn you - DO NOT use tacrolimus/Protopic on your genitals. I used Protopic on my scrotum for 2 months, 1 time a day every second day and it destroyed my penis skin (yes, penis not scrotum because scrotum absorbed this TOXIC cream to my penis/prostate). Currently penis skin is healing but it is no where it was 5 months ago, and i am seriously concerning about my overall health. Tacrolimus make a lot of trouble, specially on damaged by steroid skin, i have this confirmed also from one of guys i met on my regional forum who used Protopic after steroid on his penis. Please do not go this way. If you want to try something, i would suggest something mild for skin repair, i read that Cicaplast Baume B5 cream can make a difference if used on delicate penile skin destroyed by steroid, apply it for like 7-10 days and see if it helps. I do not test it but i am currently using Lipikar Baume AP+ on my scrotum and it looks really helping with skin (it is same company La Roche, i see skin is hydrated, elastic and gaining natural colour after really strong steroids), but it is too early to say that skin will heal overall - using it like 3 weeks. Lipikar has been suggested by my current dermatologist who overall is pretty smart guy and know what is going on.
Oh, and regarding Amlactin, i was reading about this one some time ago and it is on my list and i would give it a try, if other medicals will fail. I think it is pretty safe to use, becasue it is used even on babies and it is Moisturizing Lotion. Currently Lipikar is doing pretty good job and i cannot buy Amlactin in my country so i will strick to Lipikar.
ok so i´m not trying prototopic but what about the other link i posted?  AMLACTIN

did you read the study?  amlactin apparently reverses skin atrophy. Any thoughts?

Right now i´m using numbingcream....cream that is suppose to numb the skin for people who fear needles and so ...I apply the cream on my penis shaft where the atrophy is and then i can mastrubate without pain... but for me surgery seems the only way out of this....I´d do anything to have this problem on another location on my body than my penis. I hope surgery can help me but i´m really scared...i have lived with this pain for almost 6 years now.
In my opinion you should try Amlactin, it is pretty safe and it can help. Also you can consider megadosing Vitamin C, liposomal version is very good but expensive if not prepared in home. I find on forums that Vitamin C can cure stretch marks with oral high dosing in longer period of time, like 9-12 months - promote fibroblast and collagen production. No doctor will tell you that, because it is Vitamin and widely availible opposide to their "creams". I currently started high dose Vit C and seeing first results in vision and mood right a way, but for skin benefits i prepare to long term supplementation. Make you own research via google and you will find information.
i´ve had this for 6 years and surgery seems like the only solution.
ok so i tried amlactin and it stings and hurts. I guess that´s the peeling effect that works. If I had had this problem on another bodypart i´d stick with it and see if it works a 6 months period. Problem is my atrophy is located on my penis shaft så it´s not possible for be to have this pain that long. So i give up an will now go through the surgery. Best of luck to you. I don´t think you´ll find a cure. Once atrophy is done it´s irreversible that´s my conclusion. Maybe I´m wrong but after 6 years I give up. Goodbye.
http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0030493
Thanks for info, dont go the surgery way, cure will be here sooner or later i am telling you. Also please check post by OnlineHelp85 in this thread regarding matrixyl 3000  :
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Skin-damaged-by-excessive-hydrocortisone-use/show/946411

I think it is pretty safe, and sound reasonable like 10% thickness in 2 months.
I've suffered from steroid cream-induced genital skin damage for over a decade. It has actually gotten worse with the onset of inverse psoriasis. I've been told by docs that the steroid damage is permanent & irreversible.

My sex life has become practically nonexistent. On those very infrequent occasions when my wife & I do have sex, the skin just behind the head splits & bleeds. The pain is pretty bad sometimes. Once we are finished (more often than not, before we're really "finished"), cleanup is a painful process, as soaps & creams only aggravate the split skin. Bleeding is usually minimal, but still....  Regardless of it all, I'm going strong.

All that said, your life ain't over. Don't relegate yourself to a life lived just for your ****. It truly isn't the end of the world. Hang in there. Continue seeking treatments. Be good to yourself. Avoid self-abuse. Find some hobbies to get involved in.

You'll be alright.

PS - I've read over a few more of your posts... Stop being so hard on yourself. Are you single? If you're worried what a woman might think about your little fella, you shouldn't be.  If a woman loves you, she'll overlook something like that.

I'm just trying to encourage you. There is so much life to be lived. Along with psoriasis, I now have psoriatic arthritis. I am in constant pain over about 75% of my body. My wife has Parkinson's Disease & hurts over about 80% of her body. But we're pretty happy that we've been allowed to continue on (we're only in our 50s).
I contacted one of the professors that had done a study on atrophy from steoroids and he emailed me back and told me I could try this cream

http://www.*****

neverhealed" From your story it sounds lik your atrophy is located under the penishead/glans where the thin is thin from the beginning? But mine os located from the bottom  and half way up the penis thus where the skin is suppose to be thick. The shaft that is. My urologist want to remove that part of skin and do a transplant. I have waited 6 years and i´m ready to take the chance.
I hope i can be helpful with my post. I used to have eczema on my penis head. The steroid thin my skin that made sex painful sometimes. What help with my condition:

1. Spray 3M cavilon no sting barrier cream on the glans (glands) before sex. A couple of squirts.
2. Wear condom but lubricate the glans (glands) with ky jelly before putting on the condom

It helps.

all you guys in here writing about how much pain you´re in and all kinds of creams you´ve tried and nothings helps. Yet there is nobody who has tried surgery or even wanna talk about it?  I mean we live in a world where doctors can make a sex change and make a penis into a vagina and you don´t think a small skin transplant can be done to remmove the damaged skin and replace it with thick skin from you´re hip or some other donor location. I really don´t get it? Am I the only one out there with this problem who wanna talk about it? Are we pretending? Are we gonna sit here for another decade and wine about our pain knowing that we are fuxxxked and there is no cream that will fix us? I don´t get it? I have had this for six years now. I have a green light for surgery from a urologist. I have not done it yet cause i wanna find info about it and see if there is someone else out there considering it or have already done it and learn more about it before i go through with it. I just don´t understand why nobody wanna takk about it. I´ts just these discussions about creams over and over again...Don´t you guys get it..we´re fucxxed.  
file:///C:/Users/svezz_000/Downloads/SS_2014010910442858.pdf