Dermatology Expert Forum
Round itchy rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Round itchy rash

I have a round itchy rash on my upper right leg.  It is circular in shape, and has spread to about 5 inches in diameter.  I also have one on my inner left leg that is considerably smaller.  I went to my Doctor and he thought that it might be lyme.  However that was a week ago, and the rash has not gotten any better.  It is very very itchy at night and first thing in the morning, and sometimes it burns.  It feels slightly warm to the touch and is bumpy to feel.  I always thought that lyme rashes were flat red rashes that fade.  Can you please give me some information as to what this might be, and is it serious.
Thank You
Lyme rashes are circles that enlarge and clear up in the center as they get larger.

A 5-inch rash may indeed be Lyme, since more common eruptions like fungus or eczema don't usually attain that size, at least not quickly.

If your doctor thought it was Lyme, did he treat you for it?  (If he didn't, why would it get better?)

Lyme blood tests aren't very reliable.  What many doctors do when Lyme is supected is to treat with antibiotics like doxycycline, just in case.

If I were you, I would ask the doctor about being tested and getting antibiotic treatment.  Your rash my not be Lyme, and even if it is, this easy and brief treatment can be very effective if given now.  And if it isn't Lyme, simple crams will help you get rid of the rash.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Dear Doctor,

I am adding my question to this thread, because it concerns a very similar case.

Some two months ago, I noticed a round patch on my inner (upper) leg.  It was about 1/2 inch in diameter, light red, with a darker red dot in the center.

It ithed at times, but sometimes it would almost fade and not itch at all.

I washed at least once a day and applied a general dermatological ointment from time to time.  This did not seem to help much, but I figured it would disappear in the end.

Now, it seem to have spread all of a sudden, to a much wider area between my scrotum and my upper leg.  It itches really badly at times and I worry if I am putting anyone else at risk by sharing towels, direct contact etc.  That aside, I'd really love to get rid of it myself.

Thank you very much for your concern.
hey Doc,

ok well my mom has rashes on her legs. They are red, round little spots that cover her legs like a blanket. (the sizes vary). Her legs have been like this ever since i can remember. She has gone to the doctor, gotten 2nd opinions and no one has found anything even remotely close to helping her! I feel so bad because after a days work, she gets more and more rashes, and the ones that are already there get even more red! I can't even think about what it could be, but I hope you can find something! Oh and just to let you know, she has also had alergy (allergy) work-ups and sheets printed out on what affects her skin, and she stays away from the things that she is allergic to, but no matter what, she has rashes. We thought about it being something caused by her razors, or shaving cream, and then again nothing turned up! She has a variety of lotions, and medications, about 3 cabnits full, and nothing has helped.

what could it be? PLEASE RESPOND!!!!
or if anyone can recall something like this please email me at ***@**** ! Thank you!
A related discussion, red round rash was started.