Dermatology Expert Forum
SMALL RAISED RED BUMP ON HAND

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

SMALL RAISED RED BUMP ON HAND

I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN READING A LOT ABOUT SKIN CANCER AND I REALLY GOT CONCERNED ABOUT A RED BUMP ON MY HAND.  IT HAS BEEN THERE FOR ATLEAST THREE YEARS IF NOT LONGER AND I HAVE NEVER NOTICED IT TO BE GROWING OR CHANGING SHAPES. I KNOW IT IS BAD BUT I RECENTLY PULLED THE TOP LAYER OF SKIN OFF OF IT AND NOTICED A SPOT THAT LOOKED LIKE IF IT JUST COULD POP IT MIGHT GO AWAY. I GOT SOME FINGER NAIL CLIPPERS AND CLIPPED THE TOP OF IT AND PULLED THE SKIN OUT IT BLED FOR EVER BUT THERE WAS A PIECE OF SKIN OR SOMETHING THAT WAS KIND OF HARD THAT CAME OUT OF IT.  NOW THAT IT IS HEALING IT SEEMS FLATTER. DO YOU THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN A SKIN CANCER OR JUST A WART OR SMALL CYST?  IF IT WAS SKIN CANCER WOULDN'T I HAVE NOTICED SOME CHANGES OR GROWTH AFTER 3 YEARS?  IF IT COMES BACK SHOULD I LET A DERMATOLOGIST LOOK AT IT OR JUST WATCH IT FOR CHANGES OR GROWTH? I HAVE BEEN FREAKING OUT ABOUT SKIN CANCER SINCE I READ THE ARTICLES I NEVER REALIZED IT WAS SO DEADLY. ONE MORE THING I AM NOT SURE IF THIS IS RELATED IN ANY WAY BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE FIRST TIME I NOTICED IT WAS WHEN I WAS PREGNANT.
This doesn't sound like skin cancer.  You are right--it would have changed over 3 years if it was a problem.  Leave it alone, let it grow back, and show it to a dermatologist of it recurs.  I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Could I please ask you some questions about this bump on your hand? It sounds alot like what I have but Im not sure. Did you first have a red pin size rash before you got the bump? For a few years I have had a pin size red rash (looks like telangiectasia) on my upper chest area, both arms, and the palms of my hands..There are many of these pins size spots and about a year ago the ones on my left hand started getting hard bumps on them. Now, about a month ago, I noticed several little hard bumps on the area of the rash of the other hand...They dont itch nor hurt but are starting to scare me..Does it sound like what you have? Thanks Renee
A related discussion, Skin Cancer Additional Question was started.