SORES ON NOSE

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

SORES ON NOSE

Yesterday morning i felt a burning slight burning sensation on my nose. I looked in the mirror and couldn't see any reason for this. When I woke up the next morning. I saw two small healing sores on my nose.

I have no idea what this is. I am in the UK and at the moment its not that hot. I don't have acne as I am 43. I do not see why I have this skin issue. I must say though I have had a few spots on my face that scab over the next day. If I pick them its white underneath. but I have no clue why this is. Any ideas?

I cannot say that I am allergic to anything. I do not really get ill but because I was chesty a couple of weeks ago. I did have amoxicillin trihydrate 500. Would this have anything to do with it? as far as I know I'm not allergic to pencillin. but have not had it for years
do you have much sun damage? this could be actinic keratosis. they are from recurring sun damage typically acrued over years.

if not there is always the slight chance it is a herpes type sore, but not likely.

a dermatologist can check and dianose this. if you do have actinic keratosis they should be treated, typically with liquid nitrogen. unchecked they do have a higher risk of developing into squamous cell carcinoma or basal cell carcinoma. two very common and easily treated forms of skin cancer if treated early on
Definately not been in the sun. I have dark skin as I am black. Also there hasn't been much sun here in the UK. Could I get a herpes sore on my nose? thats a surprise. If so its very mild as it was healing the next day.

So I definately do not sit in the sun. I do not need a sun tan (smile). I do have oily skin.
you can be black and still get sun damage believe it or not. lol. but it's kind of rare. hrm....are your spots scaly, do they weep, hurt or is there anything remarkable about them? you said they recur right?

you can get herpes sores anywhere. it's a misnomer that they only happen on the genitalia or mouth. but i'm not sure that sounds quite like what you have going on. you can image search on google and look up HSV or herpes sores, or herpes simplex virus and see if that looks familiar. :)
They are just very tiny sores you can hardly see them. its the first time I have had them. It could be HSV as I have suspected that I have that. But I am surprised about the nose. Plus no other symptoms right now that i know of. If its HSV which strain...1 or 2?

Actually now I am thinking back I think it was last week that i pick some scabs out of my ears. (I must be falling a part)

The nose sores are on the front of my nose and almost like scrapes. but i did feel a definate burning feeling the night before they appeared
Thank you...... thats interesting. I really do not now much about HSV. I certainly didn't know you could get it anywhere on your face apart from the mouth. Also i thought one would feel ill and feverish. But I guess its all different. Thank you
if it happens to be herpes...then probably HSV1 as HSV2 more commonly affects the genitals.

There are several different strains of the herpes virus.  However, the most common types of herpes are oral herpes (usually caused by herpes simplex 1), and genital herpes (usually caused by herpes simplex 2).  Oral herpes infections are often referred to as "cold sores" or "fever blisters."  Oral herpes most often occurs on the lips, nose, and the surrounding areas, but can also be transmitted to the genitals through oral sex.  

Initially, a herpes outbreak may appear as an irritated area.  This can be accompanied by burning, itching, or tingling in the region where the herpes sore will eventually appear.  In the next phase of a herpes outbreak, the appearance of a sore OR cluster of very small fluid filled blisters is usually what occurs next when a herpes outbreak is left untreated.

note, it can be a sore or blisters. it doesn't have to be one of the other

your welcome. the only way to be certain of what is going on is to get in to a dermatologist. hope you heal  and feel better soon :)
i just came across your post about the burning scrapes on your nose...for quite a few years now i've had cold sores/fever blisters that actually started out in my nose and have since made their way down to the middle between my upper lip and nose.  they come and go.  it is very rare that i have them.  I know them to be cold sores, and I usually use abreva, or anything that i can find that will work to clear it up.  

it ALWAYS starts out as a little tingle one night or one morning, etc. and shortly thereafter, usually by the end of the day, a little blister type sore begins to form and they usually grow to be pretty big and get really ugly when they scab over.

I am just EXTRA careful with my boyfriend when it comes to kissing, etc. when I do have my cold sore outbreak.

I don't doubt for a second that i have the herpes simplex 1 cold sore/fever blister strain because my father also has it and his affects only his lips from what i understand.

i always thought it was weird that i get them on and in my nose too.
i've had this for 2 years on and off.

It is Shingles left over from the chickenpox virus settling in nerves, only to reappear years and decades later

Most helpful article I have found through many Google voyages:

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/commoninfections/a/shingles.htm