Scalp Acne/Cyst?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp Acne/Cyst?

Hello, I’ve been off accutane for a year now. I was on the drug to cure my stubborn and cystic acne on my face, chest and back. I had no problems with my scalp before taking the drug. After I got off of the drug i started to notice some hair shedding and little pimples on my scalp. They would usually go away within a day or two. I’ve had a couple breakouts but nothing serious. About three months ago I developed a cyst like pimple on my scalp and it eventually went away on its own a month after it formed. It left a bald spot but it seems that there is hair regrowing because their is some some small black dots that look like pores and i can see some tiny hairs coming through in some parts. I haven’t had a pimple on my scalp in about two months now and besides that one cyst the condition was very mild and not painful. My scalp feels normal no pain, it’s not itchy and their isn’t pimples. The only other thing is that my lymph nodes behind my ear occassionally swell up and hurt and then go away. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the condition. My question is could the accutane have caused these pimples to start in the first place like a post side effect or something? Can something like this scalp acne or folliculitis disappear or clear up on its own? And do you think the bald spot will grow the hair back since the cyst went away naturally? It doesn't look like their is a scar since the bald spot has like holes or pores on it
Accutane is used for treatment of pimples and does not cause folliculitis scalp. The bald spot can be due to the pilar cyst and hair should regrow if there are hair follicles. The scalp should be washed with a mild normal shampoo as often as desired. Antidandruff shampoos containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. Apart from that you need topical and oral antibiotics, antihistamines, oral steroids and topical tretinoin.

My sincere advice is to get it examined from a dermatologist if the condition pesists. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.