Scalp Rash & Hair Loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp Rash & Hair Loss

What causes a red, itchy pimple-like rash on scalp with subsequent hair loss? I have been treated with Ketokonazole shampoo, steroid liquid applied to scalp, chemical- and fragrance-free shampoo and conditioner (Free & Clear), stopped coloring my hair, etc. and so far nothing has taken this away. I am now losing my hair! Can anyone help me?

There can be several causes of the symptoms you are having and you would need to get a physician consultation to find out the cause of your symptoms.

There are several causes of hair loss:
• Traction alopecia - with ponytails or cornrows, pulling on hair with excessive force.
• Traumas such as chemotherapy, childbirth, major surgery, poisoning, and severe
  stress may cause a hair loss condition known as telogen effluvium.
• Iron deficiency
• Some mycotic infections can cause massive hair loss.
• Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder also known as "spot baldness" that can
  result in hair loss ranging from just one location.
• Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss, typically frontal, and is particularly associated
  with thinning of the outer third of the eyebrows .
• Hyperthyroidism can also cause hair loss.
• Temporary loss of hair can occur in areas where sebaceous cysts are present.

It would be best to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms to find out the cause of your complaints.

You could read more about this at the following link-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Thank you so much for your input. I have been to several physicians - none could find the cause - they simply kept experimenting. However, I did have occasion to visit my GYN and she is treating me for a gross overgrowth of candida and guess what? My scalp has almost completely cleared and the hair loss has stopped. I am extremely grateful for your reply. Lindy529

Glad to know that  the post was of help to you and it is really nice of you to respond back and keep us posted.

Do let us know about your health issues and if you may have any other queries.Let us know if you need any other information on those queries.

Regards.
Hi Lindy529, Hello, I am experiencing the same symptoms as you were in your initial post. You said you were diagnosed with candida.  What treatments or medicine did you apply to your scalp? Did the treatments clear your symptoms for good? I too have itchy red bumps in my scalp and where i have these i am losing hair.Your reply would be great. Thanks