Scalp crust and sores

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp crust and sores

I have been to a dermatologist for several years and have used a number of prescription shampoos and ointments to no avail.  I called a new dermatologist and it will be May 2009 before I can get an appoinment.  My scalp itches and is brolen out with sores.  What do you suggest that I can use?
Tags: scalp
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Differentials for your case will be a fungal infection, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. These are just differentials and they need to be assessed and excluded if need be by your physician.

At this point, this may be a fungal infection.Tinea capitis or fungal infection of the scalp may need oral medications which has to be taken for weeks .On the other hand, seborrheic dermatitis needs frequent shampooing  with medicated shampoos like Selsun blue. There is no definite cure for seborrheic dermatitis. Psoriasis may present as white scales on the scalp. It may also affect other areas of the body like the nails, navel and elbows.

It is hard for me to suggest anything because if an inappropriate  medication is given it may only worsen your condition. A microscopic evaluation of the skin scraping of the involved skin will be able to help rule out a fungal infection.

I suggest that you seek consult with another physician who can see you earlier. Is this possible?
My husband has two patches on his scalp  that are crusty and almost like glue when the white stuff gets wet.  I use T-gel shampoo on his hair several times a week (I wash his hair every other day).  If I scrub too hard, the scalp bleeds.  It also seems that he is losing hair in these areas that are sort of bumpy as well. Our doctor said to use the T-gel.  The problem never seems to go away.
I have had Roscea most of my life.  The creams just dried my skin and made the condition worse, the antibiotic pills gave me stomach problems and were only temporary.  Some gave me terrible headaches.  I don't like the idea of taking too many antibiotics as my body will build up a resistence to them when I really need them.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.