Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp

I have thick, dark, brown, curly hair that is very frizzy. My scalp is very dry and ichy. It is to the extreme that I am putting ice packs on my head so that I don't scratch it. It is also very flaky. I have been using head and shoulders for a while but it doesn't seem to help.

What are some home remedies i can try?
What over the counter products should i try?
What shampoo and conditioner should I use?

Please help!
Tags: scalp, head, help, hair, Dry, Itchy, flaking
  • dandruff (1 replies):
    i had been using selsun shampoo twice weekly for past 6 ...[more]
  • dry scalp (1 replies):
    Since I had a hysterectomy a few months ago I have had a...[more]
  • Dermatology (1 replies):
    I have dandruff for over 20 years and I have tried numer...[more]
  • help me please (1 replies):
    i have dandruff in my head, but my dandruff is very stic...[more]
  • dandruff (1 replies):
    Hi I've dandruff how to cure it..
It can be due to dandruff which can occur due to extrinsic and intrinsic causes. Internal causes include hormonal imbalance, poor health, poor hygiene, allergic hypersensitivity, lack of rest, emotional stress, excessive consumption of sugar, fat or starch and heredity predisposition.
External causes include excessive use of hair sprays and gels, improper use of hair-coloring products, cold weather and dry indoor heating, infrequent shampooing of the hair or inadequate rinsing of the scalp and hair.

Try medicated shampoos for dandruff. There are a number of over-the-counter shampoos available that can help. The most effective ingredients -- antimicrobials -- to look for are zinc pyridinethione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and ketoconazole (also available by prescription). Try and avoid using blow dryers. Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver and is considered good for hair growth. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.