Scaly Scalp
I am an African-American female in my mid-thirties who has had a major issue with my scalp for a quite a while. If I wash my hair (relaxed) on Sunday, I have flakes by Tuesday and within five days its almost unbearable. The flakes are in patches and I can take a tail-comb and lift the grey scales up. When I part my hair you can clearly see the patches throughout. Its not like normal dandruff.  Generally, I try to wash my hair every five to six (pushing it) days and when I do so I wash it three times and scrap/scratch my scalp before hand to lift the scales.  I have yet to see a dermatologist, although I know I probably should. I have tried numerous OTC shampoos, nothing works. In addition, I've used 60 grams of fluocinonide cream (prescribed by my family care physician) but that only works for the flakes in my eyebrows, ears and the crease of my nose.  

What are your thoughts?
hey there,
I've had a similar problem before and I'm still not sure whether it was psoriasis or seborrheic dermatitis.
The only thing that worked for me was this ointment called clobetasol propionate .05%. Fluocinonide might have worked for me also. Not sure.
So Clobetasol Propionate worked for me, but it's very oily. They used to have it in cream form (without all the oil), but they don't sell it in that form anymore. So I had to deal with all the oil on my scalp for a while.
Also, ever since, I started to use T-gel by Neutrogena. I don't use the ointment anymore, and I can tell that the T-gel shampoo helps prevent it from growing and lessens all the scalp symptoms. My scalp is fine now. :)
I suggest you try to get a hold of that ointment, and start using T-gel.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure if you have the same thing as I did. My flakes were to the point where it didn't even seem like flakes anymore because there were layers, and when I picked at it, it was more of a thin chunk rather than a "flake." You should see a doctor! I hate having scalp problems.

Most doctors will prescribe you ketoconazole, but that definitely did nothing for me personally. You can get ketoconazole over the counter though.

-Anna
I had this.  It seemed to be seborrheic dermatitis, and seemed to respond best to Nizoral shampoo, but I don't know how your hair type would like that shampoo.  If diluted white vinegar isn't too drying, you could try rinsing with that.  I cannot use any conditioner as it causes problems for me, blocking pores.  I also found out I have celiac disease, so it was a side effect of digestive malabsorption.  So find out if you have any intestinal problems going on.  Increase your nutrition and take fish oil or flax seed oil.  
Thanks, I will definitely check out your recommendations.
Thanks for your reply. I have tried Nizoral in the past and it worked temporarily and then it stopped. I am going to try the white vinegar to see what happens.