Scar Redness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scar Redness

Hi, I used a product to remove a mole on my face called dermatend (uses bloodroot). The product worked, but it left a very small scar, which I really could care less about, but with the scar came redness. It's now a year later and I still have a really distinguishable patch of redness on my cheek.  I figured the redness would fade with time, but I thought it wouldn't take longer than a year. I used the product on two facial moles and it took about 7 months for the redness to fade on one, but the other has no signs of getting better. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be postinflammatory pigmentation. I suggest that you apply vitamin E over the area to help smoothen the skin and flatten the scar. This may take quite sometime. Try to observe if the cream also decreases the redness. If this is a small area, apply sunblock cream over the face each time you go outdoors. This will help decrease the pigmentation.

Will the redness eventually disappear entirely?
also, the degree of redness is random. Sometimes its barely existent and sometimes its really prominent.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I can not say for sure .This depends on the depth of the scar and other factors like increased sunlight exposure and other irritants. Applying sunscreen over the face will help decrease discolorations and it will also help protect the face. The skin regenerates and in time , scars will even out and discolorations improve. Apply moisturizer to help smoothen the skin.

Also, we have to consider here a possible reaction to the product you are applying. Has the product aggravated the skin condition?

I stopped using the product when I got the scar, so about a year ago. It has been healing ever since. The scar wasn't all that deep. I'm considering seeing a dermatologist.