Scar in corner of mouth from Cold Sore or Angular Cheilitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have had cold sore since I was 9. Since then I get break outs every now and then, every in between 2-3months time. Although in a rare occasion, it does not break out after 8-12 long months. I am 20 years old now, and I haven't had a breakout in a long time  now. I think I finally don't get them because I haven't had a break out since i was 16 i think. However, it created a new problem for me,scar. It left me a scar in both corners of my mouth. They are pretty noticeable and i have been really so wanting to get rid of them. I am so embarrassed and insecure about it.I told my mom and sister about my issue and they would not take me seriously because they said that it is not even noticeable.
I have tried using bio-oil for about 4months now and I see barely results.What do you recommend for me to do or use to get rid of the scars? Please help me, I just want to feel good about myself and confident of myself.
Anything you use won't show results right away, it takes time for scars to fade. When I say time I mean years. I know how it feels, ones after accidently biting my lip i had a scar for long. It was like a little red spot but know you can hardly see I ever had one.
I used Tea tree gel, marigold gel and this really helped me a lot. As I said it takes time.
Also in winter time when your lips get chapped and dry don't put anything on them that's like a natural pilling. And after every pilling your scar will look less noticeable.
I am not an expert that's just how I got rid of mine.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it time to heal:]
Anymore advice? Please help me. I am really self conscious about it because people thing I have cold sores or something. and it looks bad in the pictures. I hate to have to smile just to kind of hide the scars. I'm really more of a serious type but when i take pictures I have to give it a cheek to cheek smile. this thing has been driving me crazy since i was 9. HELP:T
I have had the same exact issue. I started having cold sores when I was about 12 but haven't had a breakout in over 2 years. But 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with angular chelitis because I had cuts in the corner of my mouth. I saw a dermatologist and was given Nystatin and Triamcinolone cream. Now 6 month later, I have a red circular scar in the corner of my mouth and I am extremely insecure about it. I have been using mederma twice a day for about a month now and i can see that it is slowly improving.

I know exactly how you feel and BELIEVE me it *****!! I want my confidence back as well because I am a good looking guy. My family says they dont notice it, but to me it is VERY NOTICEABLE. I suggest you buy Mederma SPF and use it twice a day for about 3 months and hopefully you and I will get these damn scars REMOVED!! good luck.
thanks for the response. I have thought about buying mederma long before i tried bio oil. I only chose bio oil since it is cheaper. But since we have the same issues and it worked for you, I am totally trusting on this product basing from your review. Thanks man, hope this will work out for me too:] I want my self esteem back.
help, can anyone advice me a good product or that had the same problem as me?
Hi. i have the same problem as you do. I am 26 now. I've been suffering with cheilitis since nursery school. I really dunno why, but I've never been treated seriously, that's why I've got visible scars in the angles of my mouth. Since teenage period I tried different medicines, and nothing really helped. I don't have any breakouts of the illness for long term, maybe since I was 18. But the scars.... And the same situation - family says they don't see it, but the only thing I see in the mirror - are these scars((( In a month I ll visit the plastic surgeon (for the first time). i hope, he could find any method to help me. But man, all these gels and ointments - are no use. u can contact to me straight on my e-mail (***@****). i can't find info on the Internet in russia. After visiting the surgeon I  post the info he will tell me.