Scrotum Hair Fungus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scrotum Hair Fungus?

Ive noticed for probably 5 years now that some of the pubic hairs on my scrotum are discolored and look like there's a thin layer/skin of fungus or bacteria growing on them.  The normal color is black and these particular hairs look like they may as well be blonde but its definetely noticable that there is a coating of something on these hairs. Its enough to feel like I can pinch my fingers together and scrape the substance off the hairs with my nails but it doesnt seem to come off easily. I usually use exfoliating gloves or a loofa which are only for my use but I have noticed this for years and can't seem to get it off during normal showering and most of the time it just goes un-noticed.  The only hairs that seem to be affected are on the right side of the scrotum but there are some on the other side also. I have no physical pain with this problem though throughout my 4 years in the military I have been diagnosed with epididymitis multiple times though nobody can seem to tell me why or how to make it not happen again. I have been tested for STD's multiple time and have been married to the same woman for nearly 3 years. She has also been tested and is negative also though I am quite sure that this is not in the STD category at all.
So I'm just writing to ask if this is a common thing seeing that the scrotum is usually in a dark, moist environment, probably a favorable place for fungus/bacteria to grow.  It doesnt grow out of control or show ANY signs of progression but a close look makes it look like these hairs are growing this way out of the scrotum.  I have shaved my pubic region and scrotum multiple times but it keeps showing up which makes me think that only these select hairs are growing this way.

If anyone has any input, comments, suggestions, or answers please let me know. This has gone on long enough without telling anyone of the problem since I feel that it is nothing to worry about but it would be nice to get some peace of mind.  :)   Thank you to anyone who can help!
hey i have the same prob did you ever figure out what was going on if you did or any one else. can you please post it so i can take care of this problem it would be much appreciated
I have the same symptoms guys.  And have for atleast 2 years.  Too embarassed to go ask my doctor. Do we know what it is yet?
My husband has the same symptoms...However, he is not the one to go to the doctor so therefore I am clueless.  Hopefully, one of the MDs will respond soon.  
I've had this same issue for the last 5yrs or so. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with it although, I'd like to know more of why it's happening and what to do to get rid of it.  It is definitely not a nice thing to have in an intimate eencounter.

I've also noticed that these hairs seems to be weaker than the others. They seem to break off easily if pulling and grow flatter as opposed to the natural spherical shape of normal hairs.
I did more research on this as I thought the issue could be related to what seems like excessive sweating in the crotch area. As I searched, I found this info which seems to offer up some solace, an explanation of the problem, and possible treatment.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic601.htm

Good Luck.
Thank you very much!  
My husband has it also. I noticed that his hairs were turning a red color. Whatever has attached it self to his pubic hairs is a redish orange color. It's very hard to get off. Sometimes it is thick. The only way to keep it under control is to shave the area off. It's down by his scrodum.  I wish someone knew. I can't get him to go to the doctor. Will this in some way damage my reproductive organs?  
Vinegar! Kills fungus and bacteria, and is all NATURAL! Use it straight if you want, but you can mix it in a 50/50 mix with water. Vinegar works for cleaning windows, sanitizing counters, LOTS of stuff! It will also kill bottle bacillus, the bacteria that causes itchy scalp. Keep it in a large spray bottle. Spray it on glass, scalp, scrotum, anywhere!

Keep using it on your scrotum, penis, inside of thighs until it's gone, morning and night after showering. Keep the area clean twice daily with a washcloth or scrubby brush. Then spray it down with vinegar. This works for any kind of fungus growing down there too.

I would preferably shave the old hairs off with built up bacterial compounds, then use the regime until the hair grows back in clean.

This also works for itchy scrotum. Just keep using the mix (or straight vinegar) until symptoms go away. It shouldn't take long.

You can use apple cider vinegar or distilled vinegar, but apple cider vinegar is not as harsh on your skin.
I had the same problem a year or so ago and tried a buch of diferent things that didnt work so i started spraying my rightguard deo on the area to see if that would help and about a week later it cleared up. I dont know what the scientific makeup is but it worked.
T-tree oil is anti bacterial and anti fungal and works well with this condition applied daily
also athletes foot powder does a good job at stopping it
I have had this condition for some time (years) and have tried several things to get rid of it. Finally I have found the solution! I found that normal shaving would not solve the issue, it seems as though it is just to hard to get rid of every hair. This seems to leave some of the fungus behind so as soon as any hair begins to grow back it becomes covered quite quickly. Next I decided to try Nair for men. Believe it or not, this worked! Now mind you, it will leave you looking like a child down there, but when the hair grew back, no fungus was there and it lasted for several months. But alas, after a few months, it came back. Now, I have found the great product Oxy Maximum Face Wash. It is for acne but this stuff works like a charm! It is the benzoyl peroxide that is taking care of this issue. I keep a bottle in my shower and every day when I shower, I soap up very well and even let it set for few minutes before rinsing off. Dry off very well! I even stand in front of a fan to make sure I am completely dry. It only took a couple of days for the fungus to completely disappear and now I just wash off as a precaution. I really hope this helps for anyone else suffering from this problem, it is wonderful to have no odor or embarrassing fungus on my hair. I must say, my girlfriend likes it to, so I got that going for me, which is nice.....
Holy ****.  I have had this problem for YEARS.  I have searched the internet multiple times in a determined manner and this is the first successful hit in...4 years of searching.  Incredible!  Could this disease of scrotal hair be something relatively new to mankind?  I don't think it is, but I have searched persistently and am perplexed as to why I am only now finding results on the web.
I've shown the doctor my balls under a bright light and he recommended anti-bacterial soap without even hardly listening to my description of the fungus/discoloration and fragility of my scrotum hair that grows on the area where my scrotum sits against my legs (and stays moist and warmer).  I think he wanted to just get me out of there.

The soap he recommended didn't work. Since then my method has been to shave my balls whenever I happen to be getting laid frequently.  This has been going on for years.

The fungus/mystery ailment of the scrotal hair seems to return after shaving, which makes me think it can reside on the skin or that my attempts at shaving have been adequate and complete.

It makes the hair fragile.  It discolors the hair.  It warps the growth of the hair.  It changes the texture of the hair and the hair becomes thicker (either the fungus/organism is growing on the outside or the hair itself grows thicker/rougher as a symptom).  It smells yeasty, fungal.

I think I will try using vinegar, then tea tree oil, then benzoyl peroxide.  Right guard deodorant is known to cure atheletes foot, so it makes sense that it might work here.

I will report back to this thread with results.
This conditition is known as Trichomycosis pubis and responds to antibacterial creme with antifungal properties lilke nafitifine. Do consult your doc.

I had this scrotum fungal infection over last 2 years until recently I found a cure after a lot of searching.
1. Ordered Tea Tree Oil + Clove Bud Oil + Cinnamon Oil from an online store (www.ebay.in, www.ebay.com or any such)
2. Mixed 4 parts of PURE coconut oil to the above oils, and apply it gently on the scrotum every morning and night after bath.
3. Repeated the treatment in point-2 for 2 months and cut off sugar, yeast products, smoking, alchohol and other acidifying products from my diet.
4. Took 4 cloves of garlic IN BETWEEN MEALS/BREAKFAST, so a total of 12 cloves per day for 2 months.
5. Recently I have noticed that 95% of the infection got cured. And I had gone another step, I had started applying garlic juice directly over the scrotum skin. This had made me jump all over my room as it burns like hell for the first 3 minutes. So you may want to mix the garlic juice with a little coconut oil before applying it ont he scrotum skin (never apply on the penis head, I am sure you would go mad). For some people the condition may worsen if their skin is too sensitive for a direct garlic paste. Applied this morning and night after bath. Ensure that you do not smell garlic the whole day.
6. Within 3-4 days, I have found dead skin peeling off my scrotum.

Finally I got convinced that I am getting cured, and I thought of passing this to everyone on this planet, as I do not want someone else suffer form this fuc**in fungus. I have also added Neem tablets and some blood purifying herbs to my diet so that I wont again get it again. Maybe I will have to take these supplements for another 6-8 months.

*Neem tablets may turn as a temporary contraceptive so if you are planning for any kids think again.

Get Well Soon,

Thanks,
VKP
After using all poisonous bug sprays.  Gasoline. 1,000 of dollars on all types of things and doctors
I just found something that doesn't hurt and is finally getting the crusty whatever to go away. Believe me I have tried everything!!!!!
What is working for me is
Tiki Bite Fighter.  It has cedar and citronella and oil base and is dissolving my infestation. Had it for years.   Yea.  Yea.    Yea!!!!!!!
Read for quick fix:

I was sitting down one day in a restaurant and all the sudden i felt like bugs were crawling all over my balls and gooch. I went home and discovered mutated hair on the right side of my balls. I shaved them a month or two ago and have never seen this, but the hair had a white/yellow fungus growing around it. I immediately shaved it all off again, and even plucked out the really bad fungus/bacteria covered ones.

Treatment:

I then washed my balls and everything down there in the shower with a wash cloth. First with vinegar, then hydrogen peroxide. The next day I washed the same area with Tea Tree Oil. Here I am two days later, and i am shedding entire batches of skin off my balls. This combination must really work, as I only did each thing once.
Looks like Trichomycosis axillaris

"Trichomycosis axillaris is a relatively common superficial bacterial colonization of the axillary hair shafts. Granular concretions, which are yellow, black, or red, adhere to the hair shaft and clinically characterize trichomycosis axillaris"

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1054088-overview

Image at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichomycosis_axillaris

It is gram-positive bacterium. "Gram-Positive' means the bacteria has a thin outer 'skin'. Over-the-counter topical gel will help clean/kill the bacteria.

Triple Antibiotic Ointment A.K.A. Neosporin and/or Polysporin look for these: Ploymyxin B sulfate, Bacitracin zinc and Gramicidin.
Then clear as normal.
It's a fungus.
Anything that kills fungus will kill it.  I've had success with jock-itch/athletes foot sprays and shaving the affected area.
However, in the summer it definitely is a fight.  Also make sure you dry the affected area completely after showing since it's dark and humid (pefect conditions for a fungus to grow) "down there."
I'm not a fan of harsh chemicals, so I like the vinegar idea - although I'm sure I'll never get laid again with a garlic-vinegar combo - I'm smell like a ceasar salad.
FYI - it has come back since this treatment... No itching, but the mutated hairs with a flat shape and bacterial/fungal coating (which does not come off, almost build into the hair itself) are back. Time to pluck those bad boys out again and then wash with vinegar, peroxide, and tea tree oil again. Ugh, so gross.
im am a kid who does alot of sport, up to 6-7 hours a week and just recently i have notice just a couple of patches of the stuff on my balls so i am going to do what the people ar saying to do, but due to an extortionate amount of sport which makes me sweat, how can i keep up the process because im at school so i cant really put it on when infront of friend????
I had this for years and I got rid of it in two hours plus a week of painful recovery! This is not a fungus its bacteria. Most likely from your own anus. No joke. It seems to be only on the scrotum a little on the thy hair and gooch area. You have to treat it like really bad lice or an infestation. First I threw my bedding in the wash. Threw away the pillow i used for spacing between my legs when I slept. Took a shower and shaved everything. pubic area, thighs, gooch, and crack. No hair left behind. The razor burn sucked but whatever. Then I filled a cup half full of 3% peroxide and engaged in the most painful t bag I ever got! I figured it would be the bet time to attack and it only hurt for a min. thought the acne cream would have hurt much longer! the wiki site posted here said Benzoyl peroxide works. This is found in clean and clear acne cream. I use that everyday and some baby powder to get things dry. its been a week and working good. nothing came back yet. I'm taking 2 showers a day and being very concussions of bodily fluids and moisture down there. Any sex, wet dreams, or anything and take a shower right away! I hope this helps and if anything comes back up I'll post this as a failure. But if not I hope this helps someone out.
Just tried tea tree oil.. Should have read first..!!
Wet cotton ball with a couple drops of the oil and dabbed around. Warm cooling effect. Kinda nice. Then I read about this. A lot of people have bad luck with pain and peeling skin from the oil burning. Not only that but tea tree oil can help PROMOTE testicular cancer.. I guess my balls were the worst place to use it. I might never use it again for anything..