Sever itching hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sever itching hands

For the last two weeks my hands (the palms and between my fingers)will begin to itch periodically without warning. When I scrath them it only gets worse, the itching is intensified and they begin to burn. I have tried multiple things to relieve it but to no avail. It starts and stops continully through out the day and there is no one indicator of what might be causing it. I am worried that it might be my liver or gallbladder due to stones in my gallbladder. Or could it be decreased tissue perfussion to my hands? I know just enough to get into trouble and am concered about this due to the fact that I have tried everything and it does not seem to go away. I changed my soaps, lotions, and detergents. I have tried Benadryl and creams applied to the skin, they do not phase the itching. Please help.

Thank you
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi there did you get any answers to your problem?  I have exactly the same things and its driving me nuts!
Me too.  I just increased my Lexapro dose from 15mg to 20mg, but can find no correlation between the two.  The more I scratch my hands the more they itch.  I wondering if peri-menopause is a factor?  When my hands are engaged in activity they are fine, but when I stop--the itching is intense.  Yesterday I kept holding ice cubes to calm them down.  What the heck is this?
My hands itch so bad scratching with my nails and interlocking my finger of both hands and rubbing causes a relief while doing this that reaches a level of cessation. Then 5 minutes later it returns with more intensity. This continues for close to an hour sometimes. By this time my hands are burnng hot and swollen to more than twice their size lasting into the next day. Very hot water helps. You'll know how hot. Then a freezer bag filled with ice. Thats all I can help with. I'm still searching the web.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM CAN YOU HELP ME???????????
It is 2 a.m. and I am sitting here with such intense itching it is about to drive me nuts.  I actually have had this problem before, but at that time I also suffered with itching on the soles of my feet.  I consulted a naturpath who conducted a hair analysis that determined that I was copper toxic.  My body did not have enough copper, so it was holding on to every bit it could.  When he put me on supplements, copper being one of them all the itching stopped, almost immediatley. This was about 20 years ago, when I was pregnant with my daughter.  This has recently  come back, so maybe I am suffering from the same ailment.  
I am also suffering from the same problem. It started out of the blue a couple of day ago. Why is this happening and what how can this be treated??????
I am having the same problem.  My itching started about 3 weeks ago and has not gone away.  It is amazing to see that others have the same condition.  The itching will drive you crazy.  Just like you all the itching comes and goes with out cause. I plan to go to the doctor next week but just wanted to know if anyone has found a treatment or a cause?  Thanks for your help.....
I am having the same problem as mentioned above and my hands get red and hot (maybe it's from all the itching). If anyone knows what this problem is, please e-mail me! ***@****. Thanks!
I am having the same problem for the last month.  I can't stand the itching & the pain. I've done med searches, to see if any of the meds I'm on can cause this, and no luck.  The more I think about it the more they itch.  I've checked online to see if this is the cause of some underlying disease, i.e. kidney disease, but, again no luck!!  I need help!!!!!  thanks...:)
I too have just started having this problem, mine starts early evening and drives me crazy until i cant stay awake any more, during the day it doesn't itch nearly half as much. After the birth of my second son i suffered with severe itching but this was all over and turned out to be an over active Thyroid gland pireton tablets where the only thing that helped until i saw a consultant.
However this is quite different, and compared to some other peoples conditions i feel i would be wasting a GP's time with this, if i don't go though i think I'll go mad.
Has anyone managed to tie this down to something??
I still have no cure after 3 years! I thought it was stress at the start, no i think that it is the change in weather and temperature. I itch and itch and my fingers get fat and sore and even start to leak with a clear fluid. its gross and very embarrssing. Doctor said not to use E45 and Aquius Cream because it will feed it. I once used a Oilitum Plus liquid that you add to water to moisten them up (as they crack when over dry).Doc has also given me some Double Base cream that will act as a barrier for when I wash up and shower. I need a cure very badly for the itching - I seem to wake up in the morning vigurously scratching my inflamed hands. I hope this doesnt happen on my wedding day - the ring wont fit!!!!!!!!!!!noooooooooo! Help If you have the same problem, I DO ALREADY PUT ICE CUBES IN A TEA TOWEL AND HOLD THAT FOR A WHILE, BUT CANT ALWAYS DO THAT IF IM OUT!
Help me x
Gemma
I have itching palms every morning.  It can last up to ten minutes and then goes away.  It is very frustrating when it is there and is followed by tingling sensation on the itched area and heat. I was wondering if it was circulation.  No one has posted a cause for this yet and I would love to get to the bottom of it.  It has happened every time I get up out of bed for the last three weeks.
I have a 2 year old who is starting to experience severe itching on his hands but it only occurs when he wakes up from a nap and it wakes him up at night EVERY night! The doctors had me change his allergie medecine & said to stay away from dyes, and to use Dove for sensitive skin.  I have at this point become frustrated with the doctor and decided to stop all that & just use Aveeno Skin Relif moisturizing lotion with cooling menthol.  It seems to do the trick for him with almost instant relief, but I still have no answer as to what is causing it. If anyone has any clue on what this is please let me know!!!
I had the same problem and went to an allergist.  He did the normal allergy tests with no real conclusion, but he did notice that I had a condition called dermatagraphism. He prescribed fexofenadine an antihistamine.  It relieved my itching problem.  I am now taking Zyrtec with the same result. Go see your doctor - you may have the same condition.  
I have the same problem with burning itching hands and believe it is related to antibacterial products. It begins in grocery stores with intensity, and the irritant is either on the cart handles or on the produce. It is activated by water, because when I go to the ladies room to wash it worsens, and my hands feel like they are on fire. It may be something they spray the vegetables with or on the plastic bags. I am wearing gloves now and cracked bleeding fingers are gone from last yr .
Ok, after reading all of these posts I am realizing that I am not going crazy.  Yesterday afternoon while in the dentist office with my son my hand started itching.   First in one spot on one finger and then on to two more fingers and then the whole side of my hand.  It only got worse as the night went on.  I woke up scratching my hand all night and in the morning my hand was burning and swollen. I have never experienced this in my life.  Its still itching pretty bad now and only gets worse with more scratching.  I was reading all of these posts and was wondering if anyone has any natural remedies for this?  Please let me know.
Thanks.
the best cure for  itchy fingers is to stay off the whiizz for a while. do a bit of charlie and yam a few pills
I just got back from the dr because after 3 weeks I couldn't stand the itching any more.  Sometimes it woke me up or kept me awake all night or it would start in the daytime and even touching my mouse at work felt like my palm was on fire.  I have high blood pressure which was under control with HCTZ and forgot to get it refilled.  When I went to went pick up my other medication the pharmacist reminded me and I started it back up again.  A few days later the itching started.  Now my Dr is taking me off the HCTZ and putting me on prescription strength Zantac.  I have acid reflux and the Zantac also acts as an antihistamine, so I'm willing to try anything at this point.  He said I should know in about 2 days - long enough to get the HCTZ out of system and to get the Zantac working.  I'll let you know what happens.
The itching is almost gone.  It comes back in short bursts about 9 hours after I've taken the Zantac which serves to remind me to take another one.
I just started this problem that everyone has described.  Mine started this past Sunday in the early afternoon.  This severe burning & itching sensation started without notice on the palms of my hands and my feet.  At first, I started to itch but found quickly that this only intensifies the situation.  I did find relief by wrapping my hands and feet in cold wet towels.  I couldn't figure it out.  This went on the for the remainder of the aafternoon and evening.  At 2am, I was watching a movie, trying to go to sleep when an intense pain shot through the center of my chest and into my back.  It took my breath away!  The pain was so intense and I couldn't breathe.  I started to get cold sweats and that was followed by nausia.  The pain traveled to my right shoulder and into the right side of my neck, followed by clouded vision.  After about 15 minutes, the pain started to subside but came back.  I was taken to the ER and was told that I had a heart attack.  
Now, I am only 30 but there is a reason for these symptoms.  
1. There is a rare blood disorder named Polycythemia vera.  This is the over-production of blood cells in the body that causes the blood to thicken and clot, and can lead to heart attacks & strokes.  From this there is a disorder named Erythromelalgia.  Erythromelalgia is broken down like this: erythros (redness), melos (extremity), and algia (pain).  

Erythromelalgia is a condition characterized by episodes of pain, redness, and swelling in various parts of the body, particularly the hands and feet. These episodes are usually triggered by increased body temperature, which may be caused by exercise, wearing socks or tight shoes, or entering a warm room. Ingesting alcohol or spicy foods may also trigger an episode. As affected individuals get older and the disease progresses, the hands and feet may be constantly red, and the affected areas can extend to the upper legs and face.  Although erythromelalgia typically affects both sides of the body, it may sometimes involve only one side. In addition, the disease course may be extremely variable from case to case. For example, in some individuals, symptom onset may be gradual, with the condition potentially remaining relatively mild for years. However, in others, it may have a sudden onset, possibly spreading and becoming severe over weeks.

Erythromelagia can be a secondary cause to a bigger problem.  My doctors are now testing for both Hypercholesterolemia & Polycythemia vera.  
For anyone who is seeking information about treatment, the best thing to do is talk to your doctor about Erythromelalgia.  I have learned that it is believed to be genetic.   There is treatement for Erythromelalgia but you need to find out what the main cause for this disorder is.  This may speed up your resolution in finding both the cause and relief.  I hope this has been helpful. :)
My husband had this really severe itching palm thing (without rash) so bad it was keeping him up all night and he couldnt do anything during the day but scratch. We searched the internet (found this site) but no one had any answers that really fit us. He was using anything (and everyting) to scratch it - which just made it worse and put him at risk for cellulitis. We tried everything including what the dermatologist gave him - a steroid cream, zyrtec and charitin which helped a little bit.
But what really helped was putting KINOKI FOOT DETOX PADS!!! ON HIS PALM ON THE MOST SEVERELY ITCHING AREA AT NIGHT! He did on pad on a palm each night for several nights and it totally helped. We hope this helps someone else.
Even I have same problem. During afternoon my hands become red and i go on rubbing the palms. please help, i am feeling so sick of it.
I also have the same symptoms. i wake up and my hands itch so bad that i can't stop scratching. i scratch and rub for relief until they are red and really swelled also there are parts of my hands that have white spots as if the blood is not flowing through, this led me to think i might have a circulation problem. i've tried lotions, washing with cold and hot water, and you name it. baby powder gave a little relief but i dont understand why it happens. im reluctant to go to a doctor because i think i will just get the basic diagnoses such as dry skin and i really feel it has to be something more. help its drivin me crazy and is a lil scary!
Look up one of two possibilities....

- Dyshydrosis
- Latex allergy

It sounds more akin to dyshydrosis to me.  It turns into eczema as you continually scratch.

The nerve ending become inflamed due to the sweat that is trapped between the layers of tissue.  As the sweat is reabsorbed it leaves little pockets of dry skin that open and fissure.

Sweating under gloves, or just having a sweating problem with your skin (feet also fit in here) can culminate in dyshydrosis because the sweat ducts are tiny.

It turns into an itch/scratch cycle... the more it itches, the more you scratch, the more you scratch the more inflamed they are and the more you sweat....

Try using hydrocortisone cream instead of itching, or best, get cortisone cream from your dermatologist.  Keep your hands supple, don't let them dry out or it increases the issue.  

Use a non-oil based hand cream, or have your pharmacy mix cortisone with either Aquafor or some other cream (part-to-part) and use it regularly.

In the interim, when you use the cortisone or hydrocortison cream, gently occlude it with saran strips and the heat will increase the strength of the creams.

After applying the cortisone cream you might try sleeping with white, thin gloves so that the cream isn't getting rubbed off.
Sounds like we all have the same problem.  I have been experiencing this for over four years.  It comes and goes about 4 times a year.  I have tried the hydrocortisone and steroid creams with absolutely no luck.  I can go all day with out having an itch.  But at some point in the night I will stretch and my hands will go off.  When I am experiencing this it almost always begins itching when I wake up.  It stays with me for about 2-3 weeks and then it is gone, leaving me with dry skin and callouses that eventually peel off.  I would do anything to find out what is causing this.    
Yay! I finally figured out how to use this site...

I have the same problems as many of you on this forum...If I just scratch my hands because it feels good, it will start to itch. And it's incredibly painful to NOT itch...so then I do, and it causes a burning sensation..I have it flare up on my palms, between my fingers, and on my fingers (top and bottom). If I squeeze my hand into a fist really tight while my hand itches it burns, and makes it worse. It keeps me awake at night, and my hands will swell to the size of baseball gloves if I scratch them all night. It also looks like little white dots under my skin when I scratch. There never really is a rash that comes to the surface, but if i scratch too much, sometimes I will get little bumps between my fingers.

I've tried changing all my soaps, watching to see what I handle everyday (since I never know when it's going to flare up). I get the feeling that this isn't caused my something I've touched, but more of a nerve thing or something else altogether, since there's no real rash or hives.

Any help?!
I also have the problem and what I have found out is I have fungus
Of all the weird things - I found a doctor that I thought was a total nut. But, I was desperate for a solution. He prescribed Amerge - a migraine medication. Guess what? IT WORKED. Every time I start to itch, I take one Amerge. 30 minutes later, no more itching!!!
weird! i have never thought that my itching problem is so common..still could not figure out the reason. it is just my left palm and the itching persists for couple of minutes then disappears. sometimes,i totally forget about it for a month or even more and suddenly..back to itching same hand same spot.Is this in any way related to drinking water? cause i forget to drink water when i am at work!
I use yeast infection cream, numbs it out and then put on lotion.   It works, but you have to reapply a couple of times a day... oh and dont stick your fingers anywhere u dont want numb, like your mouth and popcorn eating is out.
All,

I too have very itchy left hand. You all have candida as I do.
You need to take probiotics, and drink at least 8 to 10 cups of water a day.
How many of you drink more than 8 ounce of water a day. The average person in the US only drink 5.5 ounces of water a day.
I found this blog and was so amazed that there are so many of us suffering the same thing and no dr's can help any of us...I am trying alternatives since the typical prescription steroid creams do absolutely nothing...this is coming from inside our bodies...its not coming from detergents...stress..etc...It is a Yeast Infection....the reason I know Ive been doing so much looking up on my hands and found a slew of info on excema related to yeast infections...google it yourselves...so here is my cure and its starting to work,,,mind you its taking some time  but here is what you can do....I found that taking Diflucan from my dr helped ...I took the first pill and within hours started feeling relief but mind you I am also doing a yeast free/sugar free diet and beleive me its not easy...I'm also doing supplements such as capryl acid...probiotics etc..there are many yeast cleansers at vitamin shoppe or GNC..then for topical the best relief I have found besides ice...is Ivarest Poison Ivy Max strength cream...it has antihistamines and analgesics which brought instant relief....please guys try to watch what you eat and try the diflucan if you can get it...I have been at my wits end...cant sleep...cant work,,all I want is a little relief and finally am getting it...I wish you all relief...please try this ...it worked for me so far....
I have this itch between my thumb and forefinger and on my palm.  My doctor gave me metronidazole so we'll see how that works.  He also said it could be nerve related and wanted to try gabapentin...hmmm
I'm 16 and i think i have had this problem for almost 6 years so Ive had it since i was 10. One day i just happen to get this severe itching right in between my fingers and when i would scratch it, it would start to burn but at the same time it would itch so i would take something and wrap it around my finger and just move what ever i have on it over it so fast to stop the itching and when it stopped it just burned like crazy and when i washed my hands after that it burned even more. Its like i would get this thing in between my fingers on my right and left hand maybe 4 times a year and i don't know why. It comes and goes and im getting tired of it. Its something i do not want to have for the rest of my life. So im hoping someone will comment and tell all of us a cure for it. Thanks
Hello Everyone,

Wow. It is nice to know we are not alone. I have been going through this itching with my palms and fingers for a few days now. My hands are not dry - they are quite soft. I too haven't changed any detergents, lotions or anything. I am even trying a shower soap that is for itching - with no help. As most people do I also went out on the web searching for what might be causing. I am a cancer patient and thought at first it was from the chemo. It is sort of nice to find out that may not be the reason for it. This itch as I called my dr office, I don't have a rash or any visual sign of a reason for this itch - it is like it is under my skin. Like most of you I too have not found any relief and it will wake me up and keep me up for hours the last three nights. We all need our sleep. One thing I found while searching at first was water - due to this chemo and the taste in my mouth after my last round - I haven't been drinking very much water which is very important (especially during chemo). So I am forcing myself to drink more water and make sure I am taking all my vitamins everyday. Doing these two things I thought that it was improving yesterday. But a few flare ups later I am not too sure. If this continues over the weekend with no improvement I am going to contact my doctor again. I can't let this lead to me scratching and breaking the skin opened as while on chemo one is more prone to infection.
I truly hope that we all find a solution to this bothersome itching. It can drive us made and others just do not understand. Actually I think someone is thinking I am losing my mind.
OOPS!
I forgot to state that I have also tried creams and benedrly. However, the benedryl helps with letting me sleep until it wears off and I am wide awake with this incredible itching, burning and tingling if I continue itching all the symptoms just intensify. We know that is not good in this case. Hope for all of us to fine solution or solutions to this issue.
I have had this same problem during each of my four pregnancies.  It was cholestasis due to prenancy.  Could some of you be experiencing some other form of cholestasis?  Can't hurt to look it up and see if other symptoms match.

I feel your pain (or itch).  I used to climb the walls at night, slept with ice packs all over my body.  Itching was most intense in hands and feet but mine was all over and my body would heat up and make the itching worse.  High anxiety levels from the itching.  At least I knew mine would only last about 8 weeks (last 8 weeks of each pregnancy).  I hope this helps someone out there.
I was going through the same problem,till I contacted my dermatologist he prescribed me this cream ( Betaderm Cream 0.1%) Betamethasone Valerate 0.1% ..I guess it goes by two names.but it works like a miracle , and now I know what causes the severe itch on my hands its the tap water at least for me that is the culprit  try this cream and you guys will thank me
It's sounds like a few of you may have Raynauds Phenomena/Disease, two different types, the former being secondary to something else and the latter being a stand-alone disease that only effects the hands and doesn't indicate a further problem.

I suggest you ask your GP to send you to a Rheumatologist.

Hope this helps? ~
I am suffering many of the same type of symtoms (symptoms) ... burning itch (with no rash) on my hands, legs, feet, and face ... (for me at least) it seems to be related to diet ... I'm working on linking it to what foods in particular are causing it ... so far I've tied it to spicy foods and possibly dairy (and possibly certain sugars as well ... maybe chocolate)

One thing I have found that works fairly well is taking allery pills (antihistamines such as Reactine, Claritine, Allegra)

I'd like to hear from anyone with similar symptoms if they have any diagnosis ...
I suffer from the same itchy hands, I have had this problem for about 20 years but I have never known what it was called...the itching lasts for about thirty minutes but the good thing is that the itching is infrequent and may happen only once a month or less, but when the itching does occur ...it is relentless, I find myself running hot water over my hands, banging my hands against the walls or furniture, scratching with a hairbrush...It is absolutely horrible!!....I went to a doctor years ago and asked about this problem and he suggested that it may be some type of mild arthritis, I have just had to learn to live without a cure for this problem, but I would really be glad if someone suggested a way to put an end to my itchy hand problem
I have had this condition for ten years. I am 55, and I went to a dermatologist when it first started. He prescribed cortizone, which helped. But I don't want to keep going back forever to get cortizone. Besides, it doesn't always work.

The hot water seems to help the most for me. It stops the itch for hours. I have used ice, but without too much success. When I get the hot water to just the right temperature, I can feel the relief slowly moving from my hands, up my lower arm, to my upper arm and all the way through my spine to my brain. I, too, have the red hands with raised white spots that go away.

I think it's related somehow to the nervous system. The doctor told me it was brought on by stress. I agree with him on that. I have also tried stress-reduction, but I can't tell if that helps or not. Good luck to all of you. Sometimes, you just want to take out a belt sander and scratch the itch, I know.
ggirriend has a simillar ailment andim sick of being woke up in the moning to the sound of a dog with fleaas. HELP HER UT Plz Zzz..
I too had the same problem...just once though. For about a week my hands itched intensely and broke out in a rash. I just learnt today about Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH). DH is allergy to gluten, a protein found in wheat and some other grains. You may want to discuss this with your doctor.
no help at all..just people wanting help..wheres the doctors?
Ok so i've read a couple of these comments and none really relate to mine exactly. My itchy hands began when i take pre work out supplements. anyone else have the same problem? if so what does that mean? I'm guessing im allergic or is it something else? if anyone has an answer please reply thanks...
OK, My hands just started itching.
Lots of the same symptoms and no answers.
I am 59 and this never happened until this morning. No changes in diet, no stress, no change in medications. What is going on. My feet also have a slight itch.
No avail I tried hydrocortisone cream  1%, Clear anti-Itch lotion containing Pramoxine 1% and Zinc Acetate .1% , and "Sting-eze." Each time I washed hands with non-allergically soap. It has now been about 3 hours of itching and the itching is slowly subsiding. The hydrocortisone cream seemed to make it worse. The others did not help or worsen the itching.
I am sending this entire thread to a couple of doctors I know.
One is an MD however believes in a holistic approach. Will post as soon as I get some answers.
Zin72
From Nurse Practitioner
Zin72, the first thing that comes to mind is a contact dermatitis because it's so localized.  The complainant seems to have considered that.  I doubt it's systemic because the other meds she's taken would have taken care of the problem.  The remaining consideration is neurological.  If  I were you, I'd look into thatl.  Sorry, that 's the best I can do.
From my MD who is out-of-town and answered my email:
Over 50% of time, the cause is not known. Continue with the benadryl 50 mg every six hours for a few days and see. If other symptoms occur you will have to see a physician.  
I have the same problem. i have no clue what causes it, but i know how to make the itching stop. I use tea-tree oil (you can buy it at a health food store or online) i get the pure 100% one, but if you have dry skin, try using a 70% or less one. It's kind of drying, but they mix it with a non drying oil when its not 100%. I rub some of the oil on my hands and it immediately stops itching. I can finally sleep now! :)

now to find what is causing this...  
I just tried the Tea Tree oil.  At 5am I was wakened by an intense itching on my left wrist.  Half asleep, I made the mistake of scratching.  The swelling and itching became intense.  This is the second time this has happened in the last month.  Anyway, my hand is now not itching.  The Tea Tree oil seems to work with the itch.  Now have to wait for the swelling to go down,.
I too suffer from this incredible itching on my hands and when it first started (a few years ago), it went away after a month or so... maybe six weeks.  I keep a health journal and then approximately a year later, I noticed the same problem again... this was the second instance of this happening, so I just recorded it as such.  It went away after about a month.  Next year, same time, same thing.  I'm looking back at my journals and seeing the same type of "hand itching" every year around the same time (give or take a week or two).  I also have mild panic attacks with this.  I found out it's an allergy to grasses!  In my area, grass pollen is more prevalent in June and July and that's exactly what I've been recording for several years now.  I try to observe all the things I should do to minimize contact, but when all else fails, I run to get my Allegra... it does the trick.  Likewise, in the past few years, I found the same type of thing happening in the spring for a couple of months - no hand itching, no sneezing, no puffy eyes - as are the usual symptoms for allergies - for me, it goes straight into a panic attack.  After tracking this also for years, I found a wonderful doctor who doesn't think I'm just crazy and got me started on the Allegra for that first.  So, now every March & April, I'm on Allegra for the Oak Trees, in June and July, I keep it handy for the grass pollens.  Also, I am on the "warning list" at www.pollen.com which sends me an email when the allergens get high in my area.  Usually I'll notice the symptoms first - they will hit me out of the blue - but then a day or two later, sure enough, I'll get a high allergy warning.
Great input everybody. I have had the same itching hands/fingers lately as everyone else here. When I read the last post by fbgirljj I decided to Google "Symptoms of a grass allergy" and hit on an eHow.com article that described everything perfectly. It talked about grass allergies causing skin irritation, most often on the hands and fingers. It even described an "allergic shiner", which reminded me about a friend who days earlier asked me if I had a black eye! Check it out and I hope this helps everybody....I took a Claritin tonight and it seems to be working. After studying Zyrtec, I will probably try that next time as it seems to work faster. Thanks fbgirljj for the grass allergy tip!  
Ok, I can't believe all the people that have these same symtoms (symptoms).  Last night, while watching tv, my hands started itching on the ring finger, and this has happened a few times before, so I know not to itch.  I wasn't paying attentiona and started to itch.  It is 20 hours later and my hands are swollen like blow up gloves.  They itch, I scratch, rub my fingers in between with both hands and they burn, then swell.  My left hand is still swollen real bad, after 20 hours.  I took pain reliever last night before bed and finally fell asleep, so I stopped scratching.  I don't see a sure-fire cure, but see some things I haven't tried.  I am over 50, and am on a arthritis med, so I can't take Aleve.  Allegra, I am not sure about.  I am thinking it has something to do with the heart and it's problems and this is a way of sending messages thru your hands.  Crazy?  Maybe, but I would really like to find a cure, without costing me a zillion dollars on tests.
Dear all,

I started having this problem too a couple weeks a go.  I think it is blood related problem (low/poor blood circulation).  At night when I sleep side way, my hand underneath starts to itch as hell and feels like electrostatic shots in my finger then I turn around and it goes away but then it starts in the other hand! lol now I am having the itching problem in my hands during the day, I am assuming it is getting worst! I will try taking an aspirin pill everyday which helps the circulating system.
I have this same problem. It started 11 years ago at the age of 16. I started working at a fast food restaurant and discovered that I am allergic to most antibacteria hand soaps, sanitizer, bleach, and degreasers. My hands will start itching, then swell, turn red, burn, and become sticky wet. Then my hands will dry up, crack, peel, bust, and bleed. It is really embarrassing since you use your hands for everything. Sometimes my hands will be so bad that I cannot open them because I have cracked skin at the creases of my fingers and the more I stretch them open they split open and bleed. I find lathering up my hands with lotions that contain aloe, vaseline, or moisturizers help, also running my hands through really hot water. But the hot water will make matters worse because it causes the hands to swell up. Cortizone and benedryl creams work if you catch the itch in time. It has a lot to do with over hand washing as well. I have been told it is allergic reactions aka contact dermatitus that also leads into ezema. Dermatoloigists can give you ointments and steroid creams to help clear and prevent. But you will have to always use something for relief, there is no cure!!
I just had my first flare two nights ago after I was already falling asleep. I was desperate! I washed my hands, applied lotion and NADA, it was still itching and now BURNING! My last resort was to take Benadryl and since it didn't work fast enough I went for the alcohol bottle and it helped! Now my fingers have been itching every now and then since the first episode. No rash whatsoever. I've been thinking that it was a side effect of welbutrin that I started taking 3 weeks ago (my shrink switch me from Lexapro due to severe weight gain). To put a cherry on the Sunday, 5 months ago I was diagnosed with brain demylienation. What the he'll is wrong with my hands??? I really don't need any more aches and pains!
My co-workers think I am crazy, the way I scratch my hands on anything and everything... from rough wallpaper to the corner of metal filing cabinet drawers.  

I cannot believe that so many people have the same thing. Itching, little fluid filled bumps.... Some days my hands and fingers itch so bad I could cry.  Like now.  This evening I have been awake all night with this intense itching, to the point that I ripped the skin on the palm of my hand.

My allergist said that sometimes people who use a lot of aspirin, aspirin like products or motrin can have these symptoms...which is a side effect of them apparently.  So, I stopped using them for a while..... no luck.

AHHHHHHH!
To everyone,

I have been having the similar problem for a couple of years now: irritating itchiness between my fingers. The appearance is subtly different from time to time; sometimes with small water filled bumps (sometimes with a dark dot, sometimes with patches of the first layer skin missing (caused by the itching). This has occurred during the day and the night, but is most noticeable by awakening in the middle of the night (it is simply the most obvious). There have been weeks gone by without an outbreak. The ichines lasts from 30 second up to 5 minutes.

The primary cause for the inching in most all of these cases is the body’s excretion of fluid through the skin of their hands. As it can't seem to escape, similar to sweating, it gets trapped under the first layer of skin and tears the layers apart, causing the small areas of pain we relate to inching.

The treatment for this seems to be: Any antihistamine or product that contains an antihistamine. (This is not a cure, just a relief from the inching, lasts for a few hours or doesn't return if the outbreak isn't sever).

The problem is an underlying issue that triggers an immune response, which seems to vary from person to person. In some of these cases, a cause could be related to circulation (get to a doctor and have you blood check for any possible problems that could lead to heart attach, or stroke.) Do this first, before you suspect an allergy. Your life is worth more than just a suspicion of other causes just because you are afraid to find out something important. Rule hypertension out before you try anything else. It's better to be safe than dead or debilitated.

Hypertension may be causing an assortment of issues that can result an immune response. Don't play game with this, your itch just might save your life. ( I am telling you this because I have now discovered I have hypertension, that could lead me to a heart attach or stroke).

Allergies:
Some allergies develop over time. It does not mean, just because you haven't changed an activity that you haven't developed an allergy. Your body may have simply changed a bit with age, and are no longer tolerant to common chemicals or proteins. Pay close attention to the things you come in contact prior to an attack. If need be, after the condition subsides, re-expose yourself to the suspect to see if you are affected again (repeat this to assure the suspect is or is not fact). This is not a sure thing, but could lead to figuring out what is causing your condition or ruling out what isn't. (Please post your results, as it may help others).

We can start collecting information to help determine the cause. It is not a matter of embarrassment, or lifestyle judgment, it is a matter of finding a cure and cause, or vise versa that can lead to prevention and/or cure. Let us work together to help solve our problem.

Starting with diet, I will begin this collection of data.

I eat (irregularly: not by any particular schedule, but primarily in the evening, not so much in the morning, and periodic lunches.)
All four food groups, including deep fried foods periodically (once or twice a week): all basic meats, but not much fish (maybe once ever other month). I eat Vegetibles, and starches found in noodles most ever other day.

I am eating a piece of cheese as I am writing this: I noticed the other day that my hands became quite itchy around the time I was enjoying a nice slice of aged sharp cheddar. (please don't tell me this is something I can eat).

I do dink alcohol: 2-4 beers daily

I do smoke: 1 to 1 1/2 packs per day

(don't judge me, I'm just here to help).

I wash my hands regularly: pretty much every time I touch something I don't wish to pass chemicals or germs to. I have used anti-bacterial soaps that seem to bring on an outbreak, but have also had outbreaks without using anti-bacterial soaps. This may or may not have irritated the condition, but is not an obvious cause. I can use triple antibiotic Neosporin without any problems.

I do not exercise on purpose: Meaning I am not actively body building, or trying to control my weight. I am about 15 Lbs overweight.

I do not take supplements: vitamins or consume health drinks

I am not a big soda pop drinker, (maybe once every 1 per month).

I drink 2 or sometimes 3 cups of coffee per day (8oz cups) in the morning.

I do feel an enormous amount of stress due to the economy and some personal issues (primarily family). I tend to over-worry, think of the worst, which I feel is a contributor to hypertension.

I am not a big salt user. I do like spicy foods, but still is not regular, mayby once every other week, but doesn't seem to be associated with outbreak.

This condition does not seem to be age related, but I am a 40 year old Caucasian male.

I try to limit my exposure to pollutants, air or liquid pollution. I am curious about uncontrollable pollutants like Chlorine and Fluoride added to our water and toothpaiste. Again, this doesn't occur everytime I use these products. I do drink plenty of tap water throughout the day. ( 2 or sometimes 3 liters).

I like to drink milk with my dinner and consume around 2 or 3 12oz glasses per day. Still no obvious connection to the outbreak.

Symptoms/possible irritants:
Seems to be spontaneous, yet I am almost able to predict an onset several hours (6-8 hours) before an occurrence. This is more obvious after touching something like meat (especially chicken), pulling weeds, or using drywall compound (but not every time). If I use nylon gloves, I feel there is still a chance of an outbreak (haven't made a connection yet, but they cause my hands to sweat). My hands are always warm. I have been called a walking heater (I feel this may be a result of a high metabolism).

Possible other causes: Although I was diagnosed negative, I was exposed to HPV from a promiscuous ex-wife. Is there a possibility of another sexually transmitted disease? *****! sorry, just can't believe she pulled that crap.

If I find out more to post I will. Please add any or like lifestyles with this condition. Maybe it is a certain lifestyle that promotes this condition. We all appreciate your honesty so we can find what may be causeing our suffering.

I just want the itching to finally stop.

I will keep you posted on my findings.

I've been having this problem on and off for at least a year, Right now my right hand on top of my knuckels is swollen up like a balloon, I rubbed my left hand between my fingers so hard it took the skin off like a burn. I have Hep C and wondering if that would have anything to do with it?? I'm an over the road truck driver so it's hard for me to make a Doctor's appointment, but I will be home next week if I can still drive!!!
try lemons. It sounds weird i know but it made my itching stop it burned like hell where i was itching but it stopped itching. Lemon juice 100% or lemons will work just don't wash it off for at least 5 minutes. Try this for two weeks. stop a week then try it again. If that doesn't help then you should probably go to the doctor. This is just what's helped me so far. i hope this helps someone else!
Hello I've been reading the posts and trying to get some help, at the moment I am unemployed and I went to a deramatolgist twice and you know how they charge first he gave me those creams that I tried for so long I have this itchiness for over a year and now it became worst, my new problem is my hands in between my fingers itch really bad and it's been a week a don't get enough sleep, i have my feet itching, legs, belly, behind my back/ but thank God none on my face but now I am sick of this I just call the dr. he said If i need a shot of maybe cortisone they will charge me so is not inc luded in my visit.....HELP I NEED TO KNOW IF YOU FOUND AN ANSWER TO YOUR PROBLEM THANKS
Coconut Oil will stop the itch.  It is a natural antibiotic and it keeps candidia under control.  I have found this out by trial and error.  I have suffered much and get bumps on my scalp.  The coconut oil is the only thing that keeps the bumps, rash and itching at bay.  You can cook with it and put it on your toast.  It will really help cleanse you.  At first when the candida dies off it will cloud your system with the dead cells and symptoms will sometimes be unbearable.  You can adjust the amount of oil you take to better withstand the die off.  Good Luck and God Bless.
I have the same problem but I know what mine is.  It is another case of we being too clean for our own good. It usually happens to me soon after washing dishes.  The more we clean and use soaps and cleaners, the more delicate the skin on our hands becomes.  Being a nursing student, you are always required to constantly wash your hands.  When our skin becomes super clean and delicate, it is easier for yeast that is naturally in the air to get past the skin cells.  This may sound weird but when it happens to me I put tape around the itchy finger or on the itchy palm.  My theory is that it cuts off the air to the area and the yeast or whatever bacteria is there dies.  It works miraculously.
  I am a 55 year old female whose hands, between my fingers, and a little on the sides of my feet are itching tearfully bad.  It's been going on for about a week now  and it seems to be getting worse.  I thought it might have resulted from my most recent hysterectomy and from the hormone medication prescribe.  I plan to try a lot of the suggestions that have been  mention by other hopefuls in hope that this horrible itch will stop soon.  Please keep me updated as to it's cause and it's medical cure.  Auntie56
Corkie23, if you haven't been to a doctor, get to one.

Aunie56, before you go trying all sorts of cures, check with your doctor first. This just might be a side effect of a medication you are taking.

As far as I can contribute from my last post, I've been tolerating the itching, which subsided for about month with a few spells here and there. I have been told it seems to flare up when I eat tomatos; seeing I tend to complain shortly after I consume something made of tomatos. Anyone else experiencing this?

Still looking for a solution. I may try the lemon juice to see if that stops the itching, I still think it is a crazy idea seeing it is going to be very painful.

The tape idea, this sort of makes sense after the skin has already started to dry out from excessive washing. You may just want to start using hand lotions to get the moisture back in you skin. I did get some relief from wearing medical gloves. I used nylon cause I can't stand latex. She should have mentioned not wrapping the tape to tight or you will cut of your circulation, which would not turn out good. Nor did she mention for how long to wear the tape?

That is all for now. I will keep you posted if I figure anything out.

So far antihistamines work the best for symptoms that include fluid filled bumps.

Dry skin can be treated with a moisturizing lotion.

So far my condition resembles eczema between my fingers with small waterfilled bumps that appear once in a while. Sometimes the bumps have a small dark dot, which indicates a subdermal infection.

The condition does seem to have stages, is not spreading, for me anyways: (process is one to two weeks).
Starts out with small bumps filled with water
Forms a dark spot in the center of some of the larger bumps
The bumps tend to leak, but usually after iching or force
Once full drainaged is complete, itching continues
Skin around the area dries and continues to itch as the skin flakes looking
like eczema (with raw tender 2nd layer skin that is redish in color: looks like new skin)

Itching is almost unavoidable and itching promotes more need to itch, and
it become difficult to stop until pain overwhelms the desire to scratch.

This infection is found between my fingers - primarily proximal and rarely is distal to the first knuckles.

I am monitoring this set of stages to confirm possible dormancy.
I am  26 nd my hands just started doing this about 2 yrs ago. And it comes and goes....no warning or nothing. But it itches to the point im crying cause i can't get relief. I have blistered my skin from itching so bad. I've also gotten fluid filled bumps but only on the sides of my finger tips nd cutical area. I have gone to the dr time and time again just to leave with over the counter cortizone cream which is no help. I can't believe how many ppl actually suffer from this and still no one knows a cure for this, HELP I NEED RELIEF!
I have elected to research my own condition, I do not advocate anyone trying to self-diagnose. Get to your doctor and have them examine you. This research is for educational purposes only and is not suited for all or even any of the conditions list above; including your condition. This condition could be a sign or symptom of something more serious: Get to your doctor to be tested for possible causes. I assume no responsibility or liability for the use of this information.  

Note the date of my last response 09/08/2011

Over this period the itching took place sporadically and mostly at night. My skin became very dry and flaky. I did not use any moisturizers or other treatments in attempt to create a control.

History of the control: 3rd week of August to the present

Water filled blisters appeared approximately three weeks prior, around the 3rd weak of August, were leaking by the 4th week of August where itching was a most prevalent and continued for about a week as the areas around the bumps began to dry and peal. The drying with itching took place over the remaining 2 weeks, until now where my fingers seem to be cleared up.

Present: 09/21/2011
Fingers appear to be clearing up with the presences of a small patch of dried skin (about 1 cm sqr on my Left Index finger) distal to my second knuckle.

There is faint feeling of tiny pressure points between my fingers at this moment; that indicate a potential breakout in the near future. I feel there is still a sub-dermal infection. I sense a desire to itch between all my fingers, with a concentration on my left hand. This could be an indicator of the infection in its weakest stage of onset.

At this point I am going to apply Hydocortisone Valerate 0.2% topical cream between my middle and ring fingers on my left hand- 2 times per day as prescribed by my doctor.

I will not apply the treatment to my other fingers or the right hand to see if the treatment is functional and to monitor more closely the course of outbreak.

Prediction:
if the treatment works, it should reveal a positive response directly to the treated area with a possible positive affect on opposite sides of the treated fingers due to the absorption nature of the cream. If the cream at the earlier stages of outbreak proves positive, the concentration of Hydrocortisone may be too weak if it fails at later stages. Or I was wrong about a possible sub-dermal infection at its early stages if no an outbreak doesn't occur.

Note about possible Tomato allergy: I had tomato sauce around 3 nights ago for dinner which hadn't produced a noticeable immediate reaction. I have a mild common cold (stuffy head with a slight bit of fatigue, no fever); treating with Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation: once per day since yesterday. I suspect that my immune system is hyperactive. Hopefully it doesn't compromise any results.

09/23/2011 – A continuation of my research as of 09/21/2011 which started on 09/19/2011

The treated area between the middle and ring finger show no signs of the
condition (indicating immediate treatment is positive). The untreated areas on both sides of those fingers show a formation of fluid filled blisters (With no dark spots); My hypothesis that the absorption properties of the Hydrocortisone Valerate may be eliminate the bumps on the other side/untreated areas - in valid.

The right hand shows signs of full breakout is 2 areas, 1st areas is between the index and middle fingers between the first and second knuckles. The index finger has formed blisters that had notably broken open within an hour ago. The fluid is clear, and I wish I had a microscope right about now. The area does itch, suspected because of it is an open wound. I will use hydrogen peroxide to clean this area and treat with a triple antibiotic Neosporin to prevent further infection. The 2nd area is distal to the 2nd knuckle of the middle finger and directly across on the ring finger. It is unclear if the condition transfers from on finger to the other, as there are areas that are infected adjacent to areas that are not.

The remaining fingers on the right hand show fluid filled blisters between them. I suspect these will continue to fill with fluid and release within the next day or two.

This onset seems rather sudden, although I do have symptoms of an upper respiratory infection that is hitting others in my area. If anything, this has helped to stay current with this observation and has enhanced the conditions cycle.

The notable Characteristic of this condition in stages so far is:
-There is a definite regeneration and cycle that occurs systemically (the outbreak taking place on both hands simultaneously with no overlapping signs).

-What seems to be its first stage is itching prior to any visual signs (indicating a sub-dermal infection or irritants that have a high absorption rate, seemingly like the juice from fresh uncooked chick forces an onset, noticeable immediately within 5 minutes after contact).

-24-48 hours fluid filled blisters will appear proximally only in-between the fingers

-Itching remain constant with a subtle increase of intensity after washing the infected areas with warm and hot water (itching is a sign that pressure from the fluid is forcing the tearing of nerve endings as the skin softens with warm water)

Treatment: At the first stage (noticing a tingling/itchy feeling, but without a visible sign of the condition) with Hydrocortisone Valerate Cream USP, 0.2% seems to be working.

Applying Hydrocortisone Valerate (HV) Cream USP, 0.2% has reduced the symptoms of the condition. This has taken 4 application in 2 days to help reduce the chance of onset.

On my left hand I will continue the use of the HV on the treated area and begin treating the untreated areas to see if there is any sign of improvement to the blisters already formed.

On my right hand I will leave this area alone as a control, and only treat the areas that break open in effort to reduce the chance of developing further infections with Hydrogen Peroxide and triple antibiotic Neosporin. I will also note the time of re-infection to see if HV is positive in slowing the signs of onset or eliminating it all together. My suspicion is that HV is not going to cure, but only treat the condition, which I will report to my doctor.

As always, Do Not attempt self-diagnosis. Your condition may be a sign of other more serious problems that could prove vital to your health. Get to your doctor for a more accurate diagnosis. My research is for education purpose only and does not accompany or support all or any of the conditions listed above. There are many differences between each one of these cases, so do not assume they are the same.
09/24/2011

Continuation of observation:
As suspected the original area treated immediately at the feeling of outbreak (between the left hand middle and ring fingers) continues to show no signs of outbreak - the areas treated later after visible signs of outbreak (between pinky and ring fingers and between pointer and middle fingers of the left hand)- show a little response to treatment, however is substantially in noticably better condition in comparison to the untreated right hand.

Prognosis and treatment as pf 09/24/2011:

The preventive treatment with Hydrocortisone Valerate Cream USP , 0.2% is most effective at that earliest stage of onset (at the feeling of sub-dermal activity - itchiness under the skin prior to visible signs).

There seems to be some improvement for treatment after the formation of bumps/blisters, but the already formed bumps will continue to run their course once they appear. This will result in the itchy feeling as pressure from the fluid is still present, will subside or leak out and then the separated layers will shed from the finger, causing more itch.  

To reduce the amount of fluid – Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) an antihistamine seems to work well by reducing the fluid in the bumps, anxiety and assists in reducing the itch. Hand creams may also work with reducing the dry skin that peals at the later stages of onset. Vitamin E and Aloe enriched hand creams may help reduce scarring. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SELF DIAGNOSIS: SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TREATMENT.

Although there is no know cause, it is still wise to get to the doctors to have your condition checked out. A culture may reveal the source through laboratory tests. Please be sure to post your results, suspected condition and causes. Any information is greatly appreciated.
I have had the same issue as what most of you have said. I have only seen 1 male with close to same type of issues that I am having. My symtems are I start to itch betweenn the knuckles on 1 hand and it spreads to the whole hand after scartching and then the other will start to itch between the knuckles and same thing spread. Unlike some of the posts I have seen my skin is not dry and do not swell up. I do how every get the bumps some times. Itching last from 1 to 2 hours most of the time at night. I was woundering if it could be a circlation issue because tonight i was woke up because the way i was sleeping caused my hand to fall asleep once i repostion to get the blood flowing good my hand started itching. Not that every time this happens was my hand asleep but since it happens at night most of the time this is possible that it could have been and i moved while still asleep and was woke up due to itching. Dont know will still be looking for cure. Just hope this may help some one have a break through.
Ok i seen where you where male also and where you were asking about lifestyle similarities to see if there is a common thread.

Cheese today only on some chilly dogs from the vending machine cheddar i think but have eat cheese almost on daily bases and no problems.

I don,t drink alcohol on a regular bases maybe 2-3 times a year:  

I did smoke: 1 to 1 1/2 packs per day been quite for 3 weeks now.

I wash my hands most of the time with different kinds of soaps from gojo to antibacterial what ever is around when i need to clean my hands. But I do not wash them compulsively.

I am a big energy pop drinker, (maybe 2-3 every day).  

I drink coffee but not on reg. bases.  

I do feel an enormous amount of stress due to the economy and some personal issues (primarily family).
I don't worry allot though.
hypertention possible could be the caffeine from drinks.  

I am a big salt user. I do like spicy foods,  

Not sure of how long this has happened but as far as age related, I am a 34 year old Caucasian male.  

Milk i have with cereal thats about all that I drink.

Symptoms/possible irritants:  
Seems to be irregular only 5 to 6 times a year
like in my other post could be poor circulation don't know
type of work i work in a steel mill (grease, chemicals cleaning solvates ect.)
I wear leather gloves to work in.

Other information i am not allergic to anything except 1 drug that is use to put people under sorry cant remember the name of it.

I am healthy
MEDS=I take or reg bases nuvigil for swing shift work

If I find out more to post I will.
I'm a 46 year old female, and had this problem for over 25 years.
I've been to the doctor, and basically they give you creams, tablets, and steroids.. but  I've found none these  work.
Over the years I've tried every lotion in the book., E45 cream, Cow udder cream. salvelon, every potion and lotion I can find..Funny thing is some, work for a short time, but with continued use they seem to fail, so you go back to some thing new.!!
My hands get really bad, when I peel potatoes, ( starch content,) and the one that is really annoying when I come into contact with paper....either news papers or book, which is really fustration cos I love reading.
Sometimes, when they are really bad, I can waken up and scratch them to bleeding, even  cotton gloves  tape on, doesn't help, as they are so itchy you end up ripping these off.
I've tried various soaps too. Finding nettle soap the best, but all soaps contain acid. so not ideal.
My latest find, is a company called The Dancing Dolphin,, so far this is my third week and the hands are a lot better,  The Skye Meadow Miracle Hand Cream isn't cheap at over £10.00 a 65ml pot,( the smell isn't great either- but everybody is different) but so far I'd pay twice that much to get the relieve..and after 25 years of this ailment it's great not to be ripping and scratching you hands to bits.

I'm not saying this is a cure, and I might find in a week or so this won't work ither, like many previous creams.( fingers crossed this isn't the case)
But at the moment, I'm loving having normal hands again, not ones that are red, swollen, skin peeling from.
So if your at the stage of despair, try the Dolphin mircle hand cream.
Say Susan sent you, and I might get a discount on my next order....LOL.
Just would like to help some of the fellow sufferers out there.
Cheers
Susan McK.
Just to add to the last posting.
On the jar it says, not recommended if your pregnant.
But you males should be fine......
S
I'm also suddenly experiencing redness and itchiness on my hands and feet. I'm a 55 yr old woman and it started on the last day (Day 4) of taking a course of Zithromax for a sinus infection. I've been off of the antibiotic for a week now and still have it. It's now mostly localized to my hands and happens  whenever I wash my hands in cold water or hold a cold water glass. The episodes last anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. Now tonight I found myself in a suddenly stressful situation and was leaning against a counter top. Suddenly I got a large, itchy red patch on my arm where I was leaning. I ran hot water over it and it went away. Crazy! Could it be related to menopause? I'm otherwise healthy but this is disturbing!
I had my itching start 6 yrs ago when I was having stress from my marriage.I didn't want to be married anymore. It started with my wedding ring finger (funny huh?). I thought it might be a jewelery allergy. I took my ring off , but it stayed till i was divorced.NOW!!! my father was neglected to death at a hospital and it was a long battle of a year ...So BAM!!! it is back and on my two left hand fingers also had some ulnar nerve problems that are now gone.This has taken some time but I have a method to healing it.

1.Eucerin | Skincare Products and Skin Wisdom for Skin Health
www.eucerinus.com/
2.latex gloves (if your not allergic to them)
3. Apply large amounts (put some on all tips of the fingers so you can slip the glove on easier)
4. Sleep with this ...keep on all day if you have a day off.
5. keep on under a glove for any yard work or any other types of work
6. When they start to heal and you want to take the glove off apply the cream and then put a flexible fabric band -aid on and continue till heal till gone.
My problem was when it would start I would not stop scratching it. I would put it under hot water because it felt like a thousand tiny fingers scratching it and it was a relief ,almost orgasmic when the water was turned to scalding HOT! So of course it caused skin damage. So knock it off and get to work....best of luck!

www.eucerinus.com/

I am having the same problem, red itchy palms, and between my fingers.  My hands/fingers actually became swollen today.  I've also got some type of viral infection or sinus infection going on.  Does anyone else have this symptom too?
Cool your hands in ice water, it will help to stop the itch temporarily, but it does give you a few minutes of relief.  Anything warm or hot (ie; showers, while washing your hands) will probably make it worse....if it's what I have.  I just don't know how to get rid of it for good.   Much luck to you.
I have this very same problem and didnt realise it was so common, I have been suffering from this for a long time but it is only since last saturday it has suddenly dawned oon me what triggers mine off, is Ibuprofen. I take Ibuprofen as I periodically suffer back ache, I made no connection to it but last saturday I was involved in a Car crash and have been taking Ibuprofen for the whip lash and aches and pain, myitching hand have been driving me made  more since then and it starts about 15 minutes after I have taken the Ibuprofen, Piriteeze always helps with my problem
I too have the same problem my index finger itches along with pain redness and swelling hot water does help the heals of my feet same way not sure why
use coconut oil daily at the bed time. If can consult any ayurvedic physicain who can perform VIRECHAN treatment, then go for the same.

The treatment will take 7 days time.  It is to extract the toxic materials
form the body.
I have this exact problem  and found this forum. I ploughed through the different suggestions while suffering the intense itching at the same time.
I have this exact problem  and found this forum. I ploughed through the different suggestions while suffering the intense itching at the same time. Read one recommendation to use Tea tree oil and remembered that I had a bottle lying around. I applied the oil using a cotton bud in between my fingers that were itching like crazy - and guess what? It worked !!!! I am so pleased that I had to sign in to report this. I also kept my fingers dry by putting talcum powder in between my fingers. I suggest you guys try this and report back if this works.
Many thanks to the person who recommended Tea Tree oil in this forum - certainly worked for me !
Pat
Hi ALL,
Just my two cents. I am sitting here and am experiencing the severe itching and burning between my fingers for the second night now.  The only thing I can think of is was that my ENT advised me to stop taking Zyrtec at night.  I have very bad allergies and was taking one medication in the day and the Zyrtec nightly but the Zyrtec was drying out my sinuses so the Dr suggested I stop it.  This was 3 days ago and for the last two nights I was awakened by this burning and itching well after reading through this blog. I popped a Zyrtec 10 minutes ago and as I am typing this the itching and burning is starting to subside. ZYRtec seems to be the trick!!  Try it.
Symptoms and Observations :

1) Intense itching in fingers of both hands, both wrists, thumbs
2) Going on for the last 6 weeks
3) Normally starts in the evening, around 7 pm
4) Lesser or disappears on imbibing alcohol (whisky, 3 pegs)
5) Itching lasts for one hour or slightly more
6) Allegra (180 mg, 1 tablet a day) removes problem immediately, very effective indeed. Highly recommended for relief. Doc says problem is chronic and you need to take Allegra for long periods to remove the problem totally.
7) Problem re-appears when Allegra medication is stopped
8) Does not seems to be a skin problem. Problem is deeper.
9) Homoeopathic medicine – Selenium – did not work.

Still studying it... Will report any further info I get...

Alok, India
Thank you for your continued posts.

Keep posting lifestyle information.

There is still a lot of information to collect. There are several different signs and symptoms being reported here that are most likely of deferent causes. Please take this into consideration before trying anything suggested for relief or cure.

Again, it will help greatly if we continue to post information about habit, stress levels, weight, age and sex, exercise, recent diagnoses and treatments, smoker or non-smoker, diet, etc...

Your name is not important, but the details are.

Again, thank you for your continued contributions.
I have been experiencing the same thing that absolutely drives me nuts.Cold water seems to help. Some say it is a symptom of the ascension process. Our bodies are changing and the side effects include sever itching.
i have the same problem since ive turned 40 which was 3 years ago, i have tried self diagnosis by trying to remember what i had eaten,touched before an episode of itching, at first i thought it was animal hair but i think i can rule that out now as i have stayed away from all animals and it stilll happens, now i think its an ingredient in the gravy i am using as i had that and the itching started, so i will wait until my hands are better and have the gravy again and see what happens. i take an antihitimine and rub ani septic cream into my hands to relieve the itch i have also used aloevera cream before and that worked a treat.
!!!! MAYBE JUST MAYBE !!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE READ THIS. I THINK ITS WORTH THE TIME!!!!! when my husband gets athletes feet I give him a months worth of PROBIOTIC ACIDOPHILIUS which for those that don't like to eat yogurt (its the benefit of yogurt in a capsule). IT CURES ATHLETES FEET (A YEAST INFECTION). couple of weeks back he had finished his normal 30 day course so i stopped it till next time. Dr had started him on aspirin at the same time so it threw us off until I read about a post here that mentioned PROBIOTICS!!!!  BUT ACIDOPHILUS KNOCKS OUT ATHLETES FEET IN NO TIME. so i restarted it and THE ITCHING STOPPED WITHIN HOURS (he's been back on for 2 days so far so good). a couple of weeks ago he had a complete rash all over his body. So we thought hives from mixing aspirin and aleve as the label on aspirin says. PROBIOTIC ACIDOPHILUS is in your normal pharmacy vitamin isle. IT COSTS $9.00!!!!. he went to his doctor last week with the rash (that he's been clawing his skin off itching mostly when he's not busy, comes and goes all day mostly hands, feet, sometimes all over). the doctor was clueless of the red splotchy rash all over his body. I'm going to call his dr. about this possible yeast infection idea and see what he thinks. I'll follow-up.
Wow amazing how many people have this! It's been driving me out of my mind for months now.  I'm awake now at 1:30am because I couldn't fall alseep with the itching, tried to put lotion on it and finally said I have to go Google this and see if I can figure out what the heck this is.  All of your post have been helpful.  I've sat here and made a list of possible remedies and will be heading to the store first thing tomorrow.  If nothing works, then I'll call my doctor (but now a days you basically have to diagnose yourself  before going into your Dr's office, sad but true, but if you tell them what you believe you have, they have the power to write the prescription that could help!).  Thanks for all the advice!!  
i've suffered from this for about 17 years. i'm male. i don't smoke or drink and live a very healthy lifestyle. no fast food or indulging in cakes etc (basically i haven't lived) but when my hands itch its unstoppable only hot hot hot water will relieve it.

firstly creams external creams are temporary cures to relieve the itching and accelerate the healing process.

what we all need is the prevention.

certain foods i noticed make me itch almost immediately (onions and mushrooms)

my research has lead me to a few possible causes.

1. Food - maybe not the food itself but chemicals in the food like pesticides and other chemicals.

2. Organs not functioning correctly. The liver is one i'm looking into at the moment there seems to be alot or correlation between how your skin behaves and how your liver is performing.

3. The immune system. looking at foods and herbal remedies that boost the immune system.

when your self diagnosing be systematic. Trial and error, and one thing at a time.

i'm going to try PROBIOTIC ACIDOPHILIUS for one week and i see coconut oil has been mentioned alot too.

i'm going to treat myself by running my hand under the hot tap for 5 mins! it's amazing!!
This itchy hands syndrome,keeping me up all night,itchy during the day no work done has also affected me too.
I believe its from MSG in foods.In my case a new Chinese restaurant opened 2 doors down.I had just lost 15 kilos
feeling fantastic.Then this restaurant opens up ,I believe I am ordering  healthy meals,(Meat with Vegetables),no rice.
Its the best tasting Chinese food i have for a while so i stop bringing lunch from home so for 3 months I have Chinese meat and vegetables  for Lunch and Dinner exclusively.My weight stops dropping however my hands are also  itchy and no amount of scratching will make it stop.
The doctor says i have an allergic reaction to medication,funny as i don't take any medication.
The only course is to give up my loved Chinese food, and work out if the itchy hands go away.
I Googled  MSG and one of the affects is itchiness. So i have looked all foods i am eating and make sure no MSG is in there.
Will keep you informed.
A skin condition that is limited to the hands and/or feet can have several possible causes. Many of these conditions on the hands or feet are itchy, but, in some people, they may not itch at all.

If the condition starts suddenly for the first time and is associated with painful sores on the hands, feet, and mouth, consider hand, foot, and mouth disease. Other disorders are typically longstanding or recurrent (chronic) but may be distinguished by the pattern or other differences in appearance. Psoriasis, in addition to a rash on the skin, often displays changes on the fingernails or toenails of the affected hands and/or feet and is associated with sharp, round borders, while irritant or allergic dermatitis may have less-defined borders or involve only the skin of the hands or feet. Allergic contact dermatitis will sometimes clearly follow the pattern of recently acquired shoes or sandals. Dyshidrotic eczema typically starts as tiny itchy blisters along the sides of the fingers or feet and then turns into red, scaling areas.

Other skin disorders occur primarily on the feet rather than on the hands or on both the hands and feet. Juvenile plantar dermatosis appears on the front portion of the bottom (ball) or heel of the foot in children. Pitted keratolysis and athlete's foot are seen most often in those with sweaty feet.

I share this ailment with all of you. It affects both my hands and feet.  Over the counter athlete foot creams  help a little, but they don't cure it.  They aren't strong enough.  I've never been put on Diflucan, but suspect that would work better than external creams because it works systemically,

I had once been tested and found to have a high sensitivity to both brewers and bakers yeast.  I believe, like others have said here, that it is fungal in nature....candida (culprit of athlete's foot, jock itch, vaginal yeast infections, etc.)...as was mentioned.  But I also think it is diet related because there are certain foods that candida loves....thrives on sugar, yeast,....not enough water etc.  Funny though, too, it often does happen right after eating tomotoe based food products (extremely bad with fresh tomatoes) as well.

To me, it seems to involve more than just one thing.  We could take the Diflucan, but if we continue with the same diet, it will probably eventually come back.

Funny enough, I also use ibuprofen quite a bit.  Maybe it's not the ibuprofen itself that causes it....but maybe somehow the ibuprofen does something to feed the fungus problem.

I'm going to try acidopholus and drink more water for starters. Also going to find tea tree oil and coconut oil.  thanks everyone!  
I also suffer from this ,usually in autumn and winter and have recently realized that alcohol is Also a trigger! I have had it for years and it's just cropped up again I have been woken up the last two night by the " I am going mad!" interlocked hand/ finger rubbing them run them under cold water and slapped lots of Nivea on .... As usual not much help hands are swollen and bumpy grrrr at least I know I am not the only one!
I figured it out.  For me anyway.  STOP USING PAPER TOWELS!!!  I tried to think what has changed in my life and I realized I put paper towels in my bathrooms.  I thought it would be more sanitary.  Since then my hands have itching episodes.  It would seem to start and stop out of nowhere.  I have since stopped using paper towels to dry my hands and I haven't had any more episodes.  Now I will shake them off and wipe them on my pants or use an air dryer, or a cloth towel.
Hi   my problem begins when I am in a cold area, like at the meat/deli counter or outside in the cold with no gloves.    My hands turn very red and they swell up and then the itch begins and doesn't go away.     So, today, during the above,   I put them under some running hot/warm water and it helped.     I think I need to wear gloves anyplace that there is a cold area:   inside or outside.      Also,    I have recently developed eczema in the left inner elbow and it itches and turns red and I get lines of red when I scratch    and also     I itch everywhere       and then it'll go away.      wish I knew how to get rid of it.      Could be 'stress'.     I am an old lady, 79 years old and this is all new to me.        
Found this site when searching for 'itchy hands', which I have been experiencing for a few days. It seems to me that lots of people are comparing different causes for the symptoms. There is a lot of talk suggesting that there is some sound-bite solution - one size fits all - which I do not believe.
Anyway, I live a fantastically healthy life, balanced diet, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, no drugs, no medication - not even a pain-killer for a headache. I would only take a chemical solution for an emergency and/or after researching the side-effects etc.
The itch is not accompanied by any visible symptoms and there are no other symptoms. I am now suspecting the gloves I have started wearing, now that Winter's coming on, although I have had them for years.
I may even see a doctor, which I haven't done for years, now.
I shall report here, if I find a solution.
HOLY CRAP, i thought i was the only one with this problem.. if there is a known solution to stop this, it would be greatly appreciated
I have the typical symptoms described here but my episodes only occur when I enter the grocery store or a retail store.  Never when I'm at home, exercising or at work.  So I am never at home to try remedies because by the time I get in the car to go home my hands are fine.
My symptons started when I worked in a retail pharmacy which was around August 2010.  I have never had any issues with my hands itching, drying or cracking.  My symptons are my hands will start to itch, usually between my fingers.  When I start to scratch, it at first feels better but then a full blown itch attack occurs which leads to my skin burning.  My skin will actually crack.  My fingers swell up and when I compare my left ring finger, which is not itching that day, to the right ring finger, you can definately see a difference.  My skin turns really white in the places that are itching but the rest of my hand is normal.  When I sleep, the itch goes away.  I haven't found any triggers as I eat different foods daily but the itching, swellness and cracking happens daily.  Hot water seems to make it worse as very cold water seems to help.  If I wrap a bandaid around the cracked area for the night, I wake up and its gone, normal color, and doesn't itch unless another area starts then I have to scratch everywhere.  I can't find any specific trigger as I will be sitting doing nothing, haven't eaten, only drinking water, and it will flair up.  
I had been reading all your comments recently as i suffer from the same itchy hands symptoms and it drives me CRAZY i have all the itchiness as well as clear fluid if i put preassure on one of the sores. i get it mainly in the webbs of my fingers as well as the palms of my hands..

I work as a receptionist in a doctors surgery and had a quick word with one of our nurses who straight away said it was Scabies... she then asked me to double check with one of the doctors and without telling the doctor what she thought she instantly said Scabies as well..

After researching scabies it turns out i have all the same symptoms and am now beginning treatment tomorrow as well as my whole family as it can be very infectious.. and also am not allowed back into work until the treatment is complete!

i dont know if this will any of you but thought it was worth a try
I have had this severe itching/burning on my hands and feet for about a year. It comes and goes. It's not affected by heat or stress, it just happens. Oddly enough, I started taking Hyland's Restless Legs and it works. It's temporary, but it works. It is all natural. I looked at the ingredients breakdown and I have narrowed it to the Sulphur 6X. Once I researched this it looks like people do you  this for itching. Crazy this stuff works! I hate putting chemicals into my body and I feel much better ingesting natural remedies. You can buy Hyland's at the grocery store if they carry all natural products, I have seen this at Walmart too, or you can get it online.
My friend suggested I lay cold wet cloths on my itchy hands and feet so dubiously I tried it and waited a while and it helped soothe it tremendously.
my itchy hands and feet and body firstly start off with a sensation like pins and needles then it feels like millions of redants are inside my bones and under the skin biting me with the effect of itch, that has lead me to despair, in that i have sat and paid all these so called doctors on line a lot of money in order to get some relief, i have had various tablets creams off my gp, which help slightly, i have had a visit to a skin professor and checked for lupus and hodgkinson, but thankfully its not that, done all the normal stopping and experimenting with foods and drinks to see if they were causing it, but to no avail, started just prior to me having to take thyroid tablets for underactive thyroid, thought it might be that but its not. was checked for early menopause not that either, was told, by the professor, we may NEVER find out the real cause cos its neurological, boo bloody hoo, i wish money was invested by the NHS to research this problem that is causing us so much destress and discomfort.
Hi Everyone,

Just to update:
I had one breakout this winter so far here in Western New York. The flare-ups seem to have slowed a bit and my last breakout was mild and only on my left hand.

For the person who submitted about had scabies,, I had this checked and I am not infected. Scabies are quite specific looking with small trails below the skin surface. If you suspect scabies, you should see a doctor immediately as scabies are highly infectious and can be passed from person to person rather easily.

I am leaning on 'Stress Factor'' as a cause for flare-ups in my experience with this problem. It seems that my last breakout occurred right after I realized that I may have trouble paying some bills and had to force myself to calm down and accept things for the way things are right now. It might help to purposely think outside the box and take on life one step at a time, avoid taking on more responsibility until you feel you can handle what you already have. It may help to seek out counseling or a life-coach.

Next,, I have noticed that fresh meat, onions and tomatoes at the least irritate the infection and possibly accelerate the condition. If I am cutting or handling these products, the itching increases to unbearable. I suggest wearing gloves, nylon or latex (if you are not allergic). Avoid allowing your hands to sweat, seeing this seems to create fluid to build and tear the subcutaneous layer, which causes increased itching.

Benadryl helps to reduce this inflammation (fluid build-up under the skin) and reduces the itchiness (make sure you can take this product before trying it), will cause you to feel drowsy, so be careful.

Ibuprofen may help too, but be aware of the side effects of the over-use of this and any medication. Make sure this or any drugs you take are not going react badly with other medications you may be taking.

Hydrocortisone Valerate cream, seems to work a little at  treating the symptoms, but I cannot verify if it can be used as a preventer.

I have not tried the yogurt idea yet. I have not researched yeast infections, but will look into this soon.

BE CAREFUL ABOUT TAKING ANY ADVICE HERE. THIS IS NOT MONITORED FOR ACCURACY. All the cases presented here are NOT THE SAME and you should check with your doctor to assure that you are not causing more damage to yourself. Your doctor is there to assure that the things you try are properly documents, and it also helps provide information for others out there through the sharing of case studies.

WARNING!!!
Sorry, I missed this part while copy/pasting my submission from MSword,

WARNING!!!

Also,, be aware of possible SPAM. There is a very real interest in taking advantage of people who are desperate. Read very carefully and take the information provided and their claims critically. This is your health, do not believe everything you read and hear.
I'm really sad I was really hoping this would just go away,but I had to be faced with the truth.  After reading all of your post I've realized that I'm stuck with this curse.  Between my fingers on my right hand started to itch really bad about 3 days ago.  I was freaked out because there were no bumps or rash it was just red and swollen. It wakes me up thru the nights.. Please help I'm begging you... I really thought this was just something that would pass over :(

Hi jaynelle242,

Do not feel obligated to answer an of the follow questions, especially if don't feel comfortable or if the answers could expose who you are or your confidentiality.

What is your gender?

Do you have access to a doctor or nutritionist; or both? (If you have sought their advice, what were their suggestions?)

Do you know if you have any allergies what so ever?

Have you been diagnosed hypertension or with heart disease?

Do you know what your blood pressure has been over a given period (by past weeks, months, or days)?

What is your age, weight and height (used to figure your BMI- body mass index)?

Do you know what your cholesterol levels are (LDL, HDL and Triglycerides)?

Have you taken on any changes in you lifestyle (i.e. new job, change of residence, unemployment, shopping at a new store, etc,,,)?

When was the last time you had a cold or flu, and how long had it been since you experienced a cold or flu before this time?

Where you prescribed medications up to 6 months prior or during the time of the onset of your symptoms (including: antibiotics, pain medication, etc,,,)?

Where you prescibed any medications for your present symptoms? Did they work?

What does your diet consist of?

Do you smoke, consume alcohol, dugs or coffee? (Include the frequency if you answer yes to any of these).

The following is a personal question:

Have you been under any changes in stress (i.e. divorce, custody battle, financial trouble, domestic stress - escalated arguments with a loved one,, etc..)?

Do you have or have you been exposed to any STD's (i.e. Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), trichomoniasis (Trick), herpes, etc,,)?

If so, have you been prescribed any medications for treatment or control?

These are some questions that may help lead to figuring out what could be causing these symptoms; if not by its direct cause, perhaps through the elimination process.

The symptoms others have posted here to this thread are quite different from one another and do not illustrate a commonality between them.

DO NOT ASSUME YOU HAVE OR DO NOT HAVE THE SAME CONDITION AS THE OTHERS THAT POST HERE. The itchiness is the only true commonality so far.

Itchiness is a sign of a reaction to an underlying cause or a possible series of underlying causes. Get to your doctor for an examination and proper diagnosis to assure there is nothing more serious going on.

This post is not from a doctor:

I am merely researching the possible causes and seeking out commonalities of these symptoms. So far there is not enough information to base any link between them. I am suffering from a condition myself and am seeking appropriate ways of relieve the symptoms, prevention of outbreak or even to cure my own condition. So far, stress management seems to be helping me the most. Your input is greatly appreciated by me and the others suffering from this condition.

Remember to check with your doctor before trying ANY treatment/s or cure/s.
As you can see, it would be nice to have an editing option for this forum. I am not sure exactly why this option is not available, but it would be nice. Thank you for allowing us to continue our research. It is indeed important to us, and we hope this leads to helping others in the future. Any input from the professionals out there is greatly appreciated. Some of us realize there is a certain liability to your input. Perhaps some general guidance could prove useful.

This condition is debilitating, obnoxious and threatening to our quality of life. From the lack of sleep it places us at increased risk of endangering our lives and the lives of other.

Thank you for taking into consideration, support and interest into the content of our ongoing research and collaboration.
I have the same problem.  I am a male in my late 40's.  Last night I had a bad attack.  Right before 10pm CST, my hands swelled a little, and redness started to appear and the itching with an intensity I could hardly bare began to take hold.  The one thing I did was that I took 4 aspirin and put both hands in really, really cold ice water.  It really helped sooth the itching (basically numbing it) and after approximately 20 min of this, I was able to fall asleep.  I did notice the next morning, that my joints were somewhat sore and stiff and flexibility of my fingers from the knuckles was somewhat tight and stiff.  No itch, but a feeling of coolness and tingly feeling (very slight pins & needles feeling on fingers), not drastic and hardly noticeable, but it is there..  I thought back about what I did yesterday, to see if I had changed anything.  This included anything from diet alterations to anything I had touched.  Nothing was different that I recalled.
This has me stumped.  I don't think it is a pre-cursor to more severe medical issues as some have mentioned in this forum.  I will just have to keep monitor.
I would like to add that none of the OTC anti-itch creme medications worked.
Let me know if someone finds out something DEFINITE, and not just guess work.
Hi . i got rid off the itching, with vitamine b12  and aterax . 25mg. within one day . I then stoped and it started again. I used b12 again today it is now 5 houers later and the inflamation (inflammation) is disapearing.I think it is a simptom of  stres.
hi, this is happening again after 5 years. It's winter and I got red circular swell on my fingers due to exposure to cold water and we live in colder region of our country. What is interesting is that, as during one winter my fingers had this regular issue and one day I had to help or volunteer in the construction work of a temple. My fingers were swollen and were itchy and I was reluctant to get in touch of water, but I needed to volunteer and so I did. In the construction work my hands came in contact with water and mixture of cement and sand (material used for concrete) and I was certain that situation with my fingers will worsen, but to my surprise after work was complete I found that swell started to dry off and I felt no itch and the very next day the swell all of my fingers dried up and I could peel off the dry skin of fingers without pain. This may sound weird. But wait something more…the year passed and again winter set in and my finger were again swollen and were itchy. This time I went to enjoy snowfall with my swollen fingers and I put my both hands inside snow for a few minutes and dried them off. Surprise (people say if you expose your body or hands to excessive snow your fingers will be hurt with frost or will have effect of burn, but for me the snow was the cure to swollen and itchy fingers). What I observed with these two events was that the Cement burns soft skins and concrete mixture also does the same. What are the properties of cement and snow that helped me cure my swollen and itchy fingers, probably I lack copper and zinc (this may sound strange but I’ve experienced it).  For last 5 years, I was away from home, never used excessive water in winter and so in those 5 years I did not had the problem of swollen and itchy fingers. But this winter I’m at home and the problem has resurfaced.  Can anyone suggest permanent solution…..
I just started using clear mecurochrome and udder balm for frost protection, and it finally is subsiding. I will keep up with posting the progress.
DO NOT take zyrtec to help with this problem.  One of the side effects of stopping zyrtec is intense prolonged itching.  Please see this site before taking zyrtec.

It took almost 3 weeks for the itching to finally stop after I stopped taking it and it was nearly unbearable.  But, I'm off it now and will NEVER take this horrible drug again.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rx/zyrtec.html
I love all you people out there.  I have suffered with this for nearly 20 years now and like many others have found some thing "work"for a time, then . back to square one.  The only thing that has ever given me permanent relief is cortisone tablets, however they can only be taken for a short time and I want a cure!! I am going to bookmark this page and return.  It is 6am and I have been unable to sleep because of my hand.  I am definitely going to look into the candida suggestion, as I am convinced that this is an internal problem that manifests itself externally and external treatments and only temporary.  I have had "success"for maybe three months at a time from vitamin B supplements and fish oil, although this has only meant that the outbreaks have been less severe. Antihistimenes also only help me for a limited time, then I discoverd I was waking up at the same time every night scratching, but when I did not take them, I slept through.   Looking forward to reading more from you and hopefully reporting some success for me,  Sueau
I was really ticked off that when I went to the chemist to get the probiotic acedophelus (sorry if spelling is wrong) I had forgotten it was a holiday and they were shut - finally got tablets yesterday and have started them.  My hands are still swollen and cracked and I finally reverted to 2 days of cortisone for relief.  Have stopped everything now and trying the candida approach.  Itching has not yet returned.  Keep looking for solutions everyone.  Whilst many of us share the same symptons, I do believe there is more than one cause out there,. just hoefullly we can all learn and share and eventually solve our own issues.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I'm at work now (typing) and it seems to be trying to start. Last night the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep. Scratching doesn't give any relief. I tried cortisone. That was a joke. I ran hot water over my fingers, as hot as I could stand it, and then some. I thought I was going to burn the skin off. I don't have any swelling or discoloration. I didn't realize how painful the itching could be. I'd lay in bed and every time I'd start to doze off--the pain would wake me up again. I'm going to start keeping a food diary to see if anything stands out. Sometimes it's the soles of my feet. I'm sorry, but the soles of feet and the palms of hands--can't be scratched. HELP!!!
Hi everyone - Well I am 6 days into the probiotics and was disappointed last night to wake up itching again - however I will keep on trying as maybe it was the lousy food I ate. Rats! I can feel an itch coming on.  I must say tho that the itching is not as severe, on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being minimal - i would only rate my itching at a 4 - so still an improvement.   Lois, I think a food diary is a great idea.  I know my itching is an inside thing - not an external itch, so something has to cause it.  I have also had it on the soles of my feet. (I used to rub my feet on anything!!!) I only tried hot water for the first time last night and it did not give me any relief, but I have found ice beneficial.  Good luck to all of us
I have the same problem I have just developed it since Sunday. The constant tingling, itching ,burning sensation is driving me mad.. Could it be the computer keyboard?????? That is reucurring answer I'm finding on google..
Sodium lauryl sulphate (sometimes labelled laureth suphate) present in nearly all soaps and detergents causes the exact same problem with me.
Cussons imperial leather soap (tradional) is the only one free of it that I can use.
Washing up liquid and cleaning fluids are full of the stuff and so is shamoo.
Fairy washing up liquid is worst for me. I now use cheap stuff from Lidl that doesn't have it in. Try using products without this chemical. It has worked wonders for me. I will not use steriods as they thin the skin.
Hi - Well I am well down the track - still finding a small amount of itching - but nothing in comparision.,  Thanks gwenny, I will try that altho I am convinced for me it is an internal thing and beebee - no way it the jeyboard! but if you have just developed it - really search for an answer - try all the topical things first and gwenny thoughts sound a great and easy place to start.
I take a Benadryl capsule....and Instead of Benadryl cream I put Benadryl GEL on the affected area of my hand.....It will stay put all through the night and relief seems more "instant" because, as soon as it dries, it blocks off the air and forms a protective shield over the area that keeps it from being irritated by air or touching.  I also wrap an ace bandage over the area (after the Benadryl Gel dries) before going to bed.  Somehow this keeps contact with the bedding from further irritating the area and I can sleep better. Hope this helps.  
MY HANDS DO THE SAME.  PALMS, BETWEEN FINGERS, AND BACK SIDES.  AND IT'S ALWAYS BOTH HANDS, NOT JUST ONE.  I DO THE OPPOSITE, AS I HOLD BOTH HANDS UNDER AS HOT A WATER AS I CAN STAND IT AND FOR AS LONG AS I CAN STAND IT.  SOMETIMES, IT TAKES CARE OF IT FOR MAYBE ALL DAY, AND SOMETIMES, IT CAN COME BACK DURING THE DAY.  I'M STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS AND HOW TO CONTROL IT.
I have had the same problem! always in the morning but, I have had it since I was a child an I am 32 now. It hasn't been bad in the past few years but I just had a baby 4 months ago and I am having a really bad flair up. When I was little my fingers would ooz It was gross. I think it has alot to do with the weather I get it in the winter but no amount of lotion will help. Docs have given me steroids to help rebuild the skin on my hands I loose layers until I cant feel how soft things are. The only thing That helped was washing my hands in luke warm soft water. My parents had soft water when I was a teen but now I have hard water and It gets worse every year. If you find something that works please let me know. I will suffer til summer
Ok, I just started having this problem about a week ago.  VERY frustrating!! I itch from my wrist to the tips of my fingers. Scratched so bad on my knuckles last night I made like a burn sore.  The palms and the inside of my wrist drive me crazy the most.  I am miserable when it happens, ready to buy a brush to scratch with!!  I haven't contacted my doctor yet becasue I was just thinking dry skin but I am sure that is not it. It happens more in the evening for me but sometimes during the day. Just pops in whenever!!  I say this site & started reading & am amazed at the amount of people that have this same issue. I have only had this now for a week so I feel for those that have had this for years. I just don't know how you do it.  I am praying for a solution fast! Thanks for all the information given here.
I am suffering from frequently itchy palms, fingers, feet, and ankles.  I can calm the itching of my feet and ankles with Jergens soothing aloe relief or AVEDA hand relief.  I can stop the itch on my palms and fingers with anti-bacterial soap under VERY hot, then VERY cold running water.  i switch 3 or 4 times between hot and cold (a tip a friend with poor circulation told me about).  I don't know the cause yet, but have found your suggestions interesting and hopeful - thank you!
I am so surprised to see & read how many of you have the same problems I am having.  I have not been able to sleep.  I wake up itching so bad that I cry. My husband feels helpless.  I am finally going to see a doctor today.  Nothing I have tried works.  I am now experiencing some nausea, dizziness, & chest pain.  I am scared that the doctor, once again, will tell me it's eczema.  If anyone can help me, it would be so appreciated!  Thank you so much.
History :  i'm 62  and working with two cancers for 9yrs now.

These have been all over my body  about 4yrs ago...now  only on the tops of my hands and some times fingers.  Very disheartening !

Soooo  some times they are few  and if/when I get stressed ~out....  treatments or money issues (because of cancer related issues)  they drive me down in depression like....

OK:  here's the best I can come up with.
1). these puppies are stress related
2). I use to get cold soars when stressed...but not any more  in the stead of lip blisters I get back of hand blisters. So I'm thinking these two conditions are one in the same.
3). I'm taking   APO-HYDROXYZINE  10mg,     2each every night.

allso  foot note....  when I did suffer from cold soars on my lips.... I was given a product  " Herplex-D "  and that stuff stopped those pesky blisters huge, but since I no longer have that problem  I do not have a bottle of this script left. should the above not work any longer I will try that Herplex -D    
oh  oh  oh

Beofre I started this pill  ?   The itching was soooooo  terrible, I'd run VERY hot water over the hands.... and the itching would stop  110%.

BUT, I see here on this forum  that we should not be doing this.

BUT-IT-Feels_sooooo   GREAT  !

This is only night # 2  I've tryed these pills  K ?  But this a.m. when I woke up  my hands looked about 40%better....   I'm sooo  hopefull on these pills  working.  

HA !  life isn't interesting enough eh ?   Then along comes this problem  EH ?
The pills I'm taking at night are stil working

my hands have pretty all clared up now... the colour of the skin is some what purplish yet....  the welts have almost become flush with the surface of the skin on the back of my hands.

they feel rough texture some yet  but if this keeps pace, that should be going away in a week or so perhaps.

APO-HYDROXYZINE  10MG       1 OR 2 OR 3 PILLS AT BED TIME
This day my hands are free & clear ...

the skin is back to normal now.

I'm not sure if the "scaring" areas will go away though ? But I'm good with that as long as the pills keep working.

Hi Everyone,

Since my last post in January 2012' I hadn't experienced any symptoms or a sign; that is until now April 2012'. I haven't posted for the reason I'm trying to pattern my outbreaks by my postings.

The cause of this outbreak seems to be most apparently due to stress. I'm not going into the details of the stress, but I can tell you that my condition is certainly a result. From the experiences over the past year it seems that outbreaks will occur in cycles of 2-3 days of the appearance of small water-filled bumps between my fingers (1 mm in size), which begin to itch around the 3rd day and continue for a day or two.

An antihistamine has worked for reducing the water in the dermis layer (just below the new-skin layer), which helped to alleviate some of the itching. Of course I don't keep antihistamines well stocked, so I had to suffer through this first cycle. I am at the stage where the water-filled bumps break open and are uncomfortable and oozing (Sorry to sound gross, but that is the observation of my condition).

The outbreak is only on my left hand between my ring finger and middle finger just before the web.

Water (hot or cold) doesn't seem to help at all, nor does soap of any type seem to irritate or sooth the condition.

I am a bit stressed out though and I can feel the difference as my coping skills seem fluctuate, subtly simultaneous to the onset and reactions speed of the condition.

One thing I am taking note of is my exposure to stress in relation to the possible recurrence over the next weeks. The stress I'm going through is external (meaning brought on from outside sources) where I have no control outside of psyching myself up to ignore the implications that results stress. I try to keep expectations to a minimum, which seems to slow and reduce the systemic onset of the outbreak (retaining it to one hand and area of that hand). Further monitoring is required to offer somewhat of a conclusion.

My condition is most likely different from some of the others posted here. I can see the symptoms of others may be related to other things. Vitamin B12 is an interesting one, seeing as a smoker I've learned that tobacco deprives (robs) the body of B12. I had been eating pickled herring since January and had stopped around 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if there is a connection or not.

Nutritional Facts about Pickled Herring:
The good: This food is low in Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, and a very good source of Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and Selenium.

The bad: This food is high in Sodium.

Note: Some people are very allergic to herring or shellfish which contain similar properties: Be careful.

If someone else trying this as a treatment, let us know your findings.

Remember to check with your physician before attempting to treat yourself. It is always best to back up your research with an education and the use of all of your resourses. Taking pop-shots at cures can be very dangerous for others. Let us be responsible here.    
how did you treat the fungus? Thanks, Sidney.  
YES to STRESS  !

This is almost like Cold Sores on the lip....   tressed~out and bingo  
Sum one please help.. Im actually considering going to da ER.. My palms are bith itxhn.. I have ni bites or dry skin Im just really really itchy. Ive tryd ice, a blow dryng brush, I even had all 3 of my kidz scratch me.. Some one please help..
Just got back from the ER.... This happened last 2 years ago and the Summer before a couple a couple times.  I moved from IL to MS, USA 6 years ago -- that's when this started.

OTC Benydryl, Allegra, Claritan-- none worked once the itching started, which caused more swelling, which caused more itching (viscous circle if there ever was one).  I do take Zyrtec every day for allergies.

For me, my hands swell to the point that they look like blown up surgical gloves.  I can't imagine waiting to see if and when it ever goes away -- so I go to the Doctor.  You can get a prescription for week long Steroid pack for $6.  That will stop it in its tracks.  

BUT -- you need to find the catalyst to avoid this from happening again.  For me, after allergy tests showed nothing, it seems to be heat.  Yesterday I was in the yard 90+, of course with gloves on -- but the gloves got wet and my hands probably couldn't cool and I started getting dizzy.  Woke up with itchy as hell cartoon hands.

At the ER they gave me the usual prescription strength Benedryl shot.  This worked in the past -- not today -- my hands swelled further.  I had to be put on an IV of Zantac and a shot of adrenalyn.  That did it.  As I type there is still a little swelling but the itch is gone.

What the ER Doc told me two years ago is that if I get this only when I get overheated -- don't get overheated!  And, when you start to get symptoms think about what could of caused them and immediately take a Zantac.  I keep those on hand and take them before I work in the yard -- with gloves on.  Forgot to do that yesterday...

This never happens in the Winter -- only summer.  And I know it is not an allergy or I would have this on my feet, legs or arms that get covered in whatever gardening project I am working on -- and they don't.

From now on no more yard work past 80 degrees for me (and if I do anything outdoors I'm making sure to take a Zantac)  -- those are the rules I lived by last summer and not a single outbreak.

The moral of the story is this is what has worked for me.  It may not work for you nor should you assume it will.  I broke my rules and was on the verge of anaphylactic shock today.  Your health is too important to read forums and try things that you don't know if they will work for you -- or make your problems even worse.  What you are experiencing is *your* unique system reacting to something.

There is no cure if you don't know what the cause is right?  And you don't take any cure unless you know it is the cure for what you specifically have -- which may be different than the poster above you.  The only true cure is finding the cause then having your Doctor help you determine a regime that works best for *you*.

Isn't your health worth the cost of an office visit?

HTH!
Today my hands are still swollen.  It has been about 11 hours since they stopped itching.  Last night, I took a shower, got out, my hands started to itch.  It wasn't bad at first, but then layed down to sleep.  They itched more, and more until I could not stand to not scratch them.  This has happened many times before, but only after several months.  I don't think the shower had anything to do with it unless it was the hot water.  I use the same cleaning products each time, so no difference there.  I layed there and rubbed my hands together and they started to swell.  I got up after about a half hour and took two aspirins.  Plain aspirins.  Layed back down and it continued.  I got up after about 15 minutes and came to the computer to write emails.  After about an hour + the itching stopped.  They will probably still be swollen for another three or four hours, as this has been the case in the past.  I did take my ring off last night because I knew what would happen.  Ok, all the reading on here, I have very similar circumstances as the rest of you, but my itching only happens every quarter or so.  It was hot yesterday and sitting in a sunroom, it was very hot, but not sweating hot.  I do have ecema, (spelling), I really should know how to spell it since a dermotologist determined that many years ago.  I took "clobetasol" ointment for that and it cures it in two days.  I get it when I wear latex gloves or when my hands sweat.  I wear cottom gloves under regular gloves and that absorbs the sweat and keeps the disease away.  With ecema, I get red spots, bumps, etc. and applying the ointment takes care of it, but the itching seems to be completely different.  No bumps, red spots and so forth.  Early this morning I noticed my fingers.  The tips, about one inch from the end of each finger was blood red.  Up the finger to the knuckle was completely white, then the back of the hand red.  On the palm of my hands, they were as red as could be.  Draw a straight line, color in the ends of the line with 3/4 of the line in the middle completely white.  That is what it looked like.  The middle knuckle is still a little white being still swollen.  I haven't had an outbreak of ecema in a long time.  This will go away today and won't happen again for another three months or so, I do hope not anyway.  My hands do look like a clowns feet, all blown up like Ronald McDonald.  But, hopefully it is just the heat.  I layed them in cold water last night only to intensify the itch.  Hot water helps, but doesn't cure or stop it.  Ice packs make it itch more.  I am just not going to be able to take too much more itching.  I think I am down to about the fourth layer of skin.  
Day three and my hands are still swollen, very unusual this time.  They are still sore from the scratching and rubbing them together.  I have taken otc meds and nothing seems to help.  Someone give me some more advice on how to control this, please.  
Hey here's a thought, what if its something that the government uses to decontaminate our drinking water?
Every time I wash my hands in public, where i am usually not able to get good'n hot water, my hands go crazy.

I mean the water ..... how simple..... its in most things we drink, we wash our clothes in it, and we shower in it, every day.

Thoughts anyone?!
I have these symptoms too and I found quick relief in a clear calamine lotion at any drug store. The same thing you would use on a bug bite.
my bumps arent red but they have puss in them. they dont leave scars,but they stay about a week and bust and come back in about two weeks.i thought it would evenually go away but it is still goin on.they pop out on my feet as well. just on my toes and bottom of my feet they are red though.
I've been using corn huskers lotion for about two weeks and the hands have cleared up...  They don't itch as often, I generally apply it several times a day...
silly silly silly
The Human Body as per Indian Ayurveda is composed of Pitta, Cappa and Vayu.

If the element of Pitta increases in the human body it indicates by the sign of redness, itching etc in the body followed by red rash anywhere in the body followed by itching. This may be one of the cause.

The solution is not immediate as the problem has not happened / occurred suddenly as it takes time to build up / accumulate pitta in body based upon our lifestyle.

Some people dont exercise at all, they dont have fixed time for meals, they dont eat proper meals that is they take some combinations which are injurious to human body for example any fruit should not be mixed with milk before consuming like fruit milk shakes, milk and salt cannot be mixed and consumed, fruit juices should not be taken along with meals and post sunset as after sunset our body has a low metabolism rate and cannot digest food faster as it can earlier.

The best solution as per me is to do the following things:

1. Consult a medical practitioner / doctor
2. Drink at least 3 litres of normal drinking water to flush out toxins.
3. Eat light breakfast at 8am, have a wholesome vegetarian meal without lot of spices and lemon at around 12noon, consume fruit or fruit juice at 4pm and have an early dinner which is light to the intestine at around 7.30pm and just in case if you feel hungry late night have a vegetable soup without making it sour and spicy.
4. Exercise in a way as u sweat heavily but keep yourself hydrated too at the same time.
5. In case of itching apply LACTOCALAMINE cream which gives a relief.
6. Also take a medicine from doctor for cleaning worms from your intestine  if the doctor feels it necessary for you as per your health warnings.
7. Eat light, exercise, keep yourself hydrated and enjoy.
8. An occasional mild hot water bath with neem tree leaves boiled inside the hot water (which is later cooled down naturally) will be a soothing experience too.

If you have an Indian Ayurveda medical practitioner in and around you please consult for a healthy living.

Regards

sachin chavan

india

0091 9869825691
I was diagnosed by a doctormany years ago as having psoriasis like my father also had, it seemed to be triggered by stress.
I stopped using Betnovate as it didn't help and thinned the skin.
But for the last 2 years the itching has got much worse and I also have found relief through very hot then cold water - but this is wrong and bad for the skin - I have ended up with my fingers in bandages as the skin started cracking and bleeding.
I have tried every cream going - anti-histamines work short term to stop the allergy itch but I think it may be a yeast infection so I'm going to try treating my skin and insides for candida and see what happens.
I find it is worse in the mornings if I have overheated and need the toilet - its as if the body is getting rid of toxins through the hands.
I had gallbladder problems years ago and they went away after changing to a low fat diet. I'm not overweight but I m vegetarian so need to be careful how much fat I consume  - maybe too much dairy causes yeast infections? Anyway I'll let you know if I find a cure.
I have the same problem with my palms and fingers.I use Bag Balm (its made to keep cow Utters from dryingnout ahd cracking.,) cover your hands and fingers and then sleep with a rubber glove on. hope this helps!
I have had this problem for years and recently began using Orajel for relief and wear thin cotton gloves and have an apointment to address the problem with my doctor.  

I have so many other health problems and take so many different meds that in the back of my mind I always thought it was just another side effect.  

And most of the doctors I've had in the past 20 years have not been much help.  Did we get smarter or doctors get dumber...LOL!  One doctor did not even recognize a common plaque psorias!  I had to demand a referral to a dermatologist after 3 unsecessful visits.  

Thanks to everyone for all the posts.  It will really help for my doctors appointment.  Good Luck
I get this problem when i am highly stressed (overworked, tired and too much on my plate). My first 'hands itching' started small just after i stopped breastfeeding my youngest son and i thought it had something to do with hormonal changes. I think it was the stress of having my third child. It actually went away after a few years. I thought it was contact dermatitis (which it was not), i did elimination diets (which did nothing) but it went away after a year or two.

However it came back a few years ago as i was completing my PhD. The last stressful stages of writing and submitting made both my hands itch.  When i relaxed again, it stopped. However, i notice that it comes back again when i am highly stressed. I have tried everything from elimination diets to various cremes. It often flares up after drinking a glass of red wine (and i just occasionally drink a glass of wine). I think there is a link to stress and some food types which aggravates this. I am quite stressed at the moment (too much work) and i have it again.

The best that works for me is Polyramine (like Zyrtex but for skin allergies) combined with a good doze of daily Anti-stress formula tablets (basically Vit B12 - i take the Executive Vit B formula).  I need to relax myself, get more sleep, do some walking and get more me-time - to control it. The moment i fully relax (eg. go on holiday) it goes away fully.  So i think for me its definitely stress related. not sure if this is helpful. good luck to you all.
I have the same itchy hand problem, but I have figured out that it only happens while I am at work - my place of employment,  Shortly after I walk through the door to my hand start to itch.  In one of the threads below, someone mentioned being perimenipausal, I am also in that stage also.
I have the same problem.  its 5:27 in the morning and I have to wake up for work but I can't because my thighs,palms, soles of my feet,  and stomach wont stop itching.  its driving me insane. I make myself bleed by scratching because its so bad. what can I do. I feel like cutting off my own skin :'(
I too have been increasing my dose of whey protein.  I take it every morning and with workouts.  I just started to have this problem so I wonder if it is related?  It could be a lactose/dairy intolerance.  I know my dad is not able to take whey because of restless leg syndrome.
Use Aveeno skin relief and it will certainly help with your dry cracked hands.  I have never found another lotion/ointment/cream to work as well.  You can also put your hands in plastic gloves with the lotion to get some extra hydration.
I too just started Wellbutrin 3 weeks ago and had my first instance.  It was incredibly intense.  It has to be related to this drug for us, too much of a coincidence.  
I am thankful I found this discussion. I too have the problem. My hands itch and it usually is accompanied with blisters between my fingers. The blisters pop and my hands become painful. One of the early comments was about Dyshidrotic eczema. This seems to be what I have. This seems to be associated with an allergy to Nickel which is in many foods (chocolate!!!) and other items such as stainless steel and other metals. A diet low in Nickel is supposed to help. Also Claritin to alleviate the itching. There is nickel in drinking water too which might be the link people are questioning with reactions to water.

I am going to try a low Nickel diet and limiting my exposure to items that contain Nickel.
hi i am having dry itching flaky right hand. I have tried everything, being to doctors prescribed betnovate, didnt work, tried anti fungal creams nothing works. Its driving me mad, the itching is unreal,its only on the palm of one hand i am perfectly healthy. has anyone any suggestions, a pharmacis suggested it could be viral?
Had the same problem - terrible itching on palms and between fingers - no rash - scratching seemed to anger it to a burning itch. I have extremely tough hands and dry skin is nothing to me so this had to be something strange.

I narrowed it to 3 possibilities:

1: The itch is in the muscles - likely a mineral deficiency - likely need potassium- eat some sweet potatoes.

2: The itch is caused by a sudden hypersensitivity in the nerve endings on the hands - likely from some stimulant like caffeine - then the rubbing and scratching brings fluid to the tissue - and the swelling stimulates the nerves further - a snowball effect. Cut down on the soda / coffee / ect.

3: The itch is microbiological and the little bugs must die

I decided to try the simplest first: number 3. I soaked a washcloth in acetone and washed my hands well with it. The scratches I made (while going insane) burn a little but the itch is going away.

So, for those of you who aren't covered in a rash and just have really itchy hands - try acetone. It worked for me.
I am from Nepal and I too was facing this problem. I take a very traditional Nepali approach. Soaking itchy hands in hot water, and I mean just not lukewarm, does wonders. Boil about 5 liters of water with about 10 tablespoons of salt. Then add cold water so as not to burn yourself. Try to make it as hot as can be bearable. Soak your hands or feet which ever is  itchy for as long as possible. Carry this process in the morning and before you go to bed. Please let me know if it works.
I have been itching for around a year, tops of hands, fingers and face and legs, my fingers sometimes swell and appear to have lumps under the skin...my partner to started to itch we were informed by gp we had contact dermititus, however it turned out we had bed bugs (eeeeeew) once home was treated my partners itching subsided then stopped, however mine has not and I feel it is wrongly diagnose, anitihistemine helps as does hot water, I would love to know what it is and how to stop it, as im sure you all would but finding this site has definately helped as I was being to feel like I was going round the twist with it...Take care fellow itchers Xx
Hey guys, I have been having the same problem with the itchy hands and fingers. I had n
sorry about that. My 3 year old hit my keyboard lol. The only medicine I take is Aleve. I did a little research about Aleve's side effects. Turns out itchy hands, fingers, and palms are a big side effect. I will tell you if it goes away in a few days. Unfortunately I took some Aleve this morning.... The itching is very intense...
I have the same thing, its incredible itchy, I've gone to my GP he said "its Scabies" gave me a prescription which didn't work, I went back to him and he said its still the same thing gave me lyclear cream.  I've used the entire tube only for the itching to be on the back of my hand now also.  I dont know what i am going to do, its driving me totally mad.  I have it about 4 months now. I can tell you its definitely not Scabies.
OMG!
I have been dealing with this crazy itchy blistery rash for about 15 years now!
I have tried dermatologists, allergists, regular Drs. And NONE of them have been able to make it quit!
My OB did prescribe an anti-depressant? or anti-anxiety years back as he could tell it was really frustrating me. And it did seem to help with the stress in dealing with this rash. However, in recent years when the rash is bad and I try the anti-depressant...it doesnt do anything.
It all started 15 years ago about 6 mos after I had my third child. No known reason. Just a blistery rash. Don't even remember where on my body it started. They originally were on my body, legs, arms. Sometimes on my face. Now mostly, I get them on my hands.  And those are the worst! HORRIBLE itching!
The first Dr. said it was scabies. NOT!
Dermatologist said a weeping excema. He even did skin punches and biopsied them but nothing came up.
Allergests have done various skin tests but nothing other than the usual stuff comes up. Now they just ask me what I've gotten into. Nothing is ever constant. Anything can bring them on. There are periods when all is quiet. And periods when I want to scratch and rub my skin OFF!
At the worst times I go in and they give me Prednisone. Sometimes the shots to jump start it.
Just saw a new allergist. Total waste of time. Had a bad time with the rash this spring, mostly cleared up now. Told me to come back when it gets bad again and maybe they can diagnose it.
I've pretty much given up on anyone finding the cause...
Are you taking a diuretic or any medication with sulfa?  I had a 2 year issue with this and it turned out to be my blood pressure med that had HTC.  My doctor knew I had penicilin and sulfa allergies, but didn't think about the fact that you are not supposed to take this if you do!!!  I stopped, got a new drug and I feel like a new person.
I have the same condition all u have described and the itching is close to insane!! anway..what i found out was,whenever i touched acidic substances like lime,tomatoes or even egg plant,later in the evening my hands will start itching..also.. if i touch food like tuna or very spicy food...certain oils and meat juices too irritate my hands therefore i have started to use gloves whenever i cook..and also drinking the daily requirement of water along with finding out what are the irritants and trying to avoid direct contact with such substances by use of gloves  and frequent use of hand cream will help u ...hopefully :)
Hi all, again I have had the symptoms of irritatingly itchy, inflamed and swollen hands/fingers! I am at the point where I could tear my hair out, I am so exhausted and infuriated with this problem!

I am 19 (a few months shy of 20) and have always suffered with eczema from being an infant, but have NEVER experienced any severe problems with the skin on my hands, only slight dryness induced normally in Winter due to colder temperatures which was always relieved by drug store hand creams.

In January this year I flew to Australia (I live in the UK, an am in Australia till December) in April I went to Vietnam for 3 weeks. Somewhere between arriving in Australia and leaving for Vietnam is when the hand problem started. I can't pin point it exactly!
First off the skin became dry which I immediately assumed was eczema, and was confused as the temperature was around 30 degrees C and my eczema only flares up in Winter... anyway I treated it with The Body Shop's Hemp Hand Cream and moisture gloves which I wore at night and this didn't seem to help. Then my hands became itchy and started cracking slightly. I was awake at night and scratching furiously (also my body) I saw a Doctor and found out I had scabies BUT that was not what was effecting my hands. He got distracted treating my scabies and forgot to tell me what was wrong with my hands.

3 weeks in 40 degree C heat and insane humidty in Vietnam, lots of walking, sweating ect. and my hands were cleared! I was astonished! I hadn't even thought about them the whole time... it was almost too good to be true. I then arrived back in Australia and of course my hands had dried u again after the flight.

A few weeks on and the itch began. I too interlock my hands and rub, rub my palms together, after washing my hands I will rub harshly with the towel when drying my hands, anything that causes friction and heat gives me pain but sort of pleasure I enjoy intensely rubbing them but it only ends up leaving them worse off! After too much itching they ooze clear liquid and then the skin becomes broken and red as if I'd scraped the top layer of skin off. Disgusting I know. As much as I try to resist the itch I can't. Many times I come to the point of tears as someone who struggles with eczema which affects my face it seems I can't catch a break when it comes to my skin.
Scalding hot water also relieves it momentarily, I will have intensely hot showers, and when I wash my hands I use scalding water an often leave my hands under the water until I can't bare it anymore.

This has been going on for approximately 5 months now.
Last month they got to the point where they were so swollen the natural lines on every single knuckle on both hands split to the the point of bleeding, I had to have my fingers permanently bent as holding them straight was too painful. The Doctor prescribed me a cream (which is to treat impetigo) and I used that which cleared up the splits but not the drying or the itching.

I have a job and have had this problem before I started work there. I find myself trying to hide my hands, and when I go to pay for things I feel hmiliated when handing cash or card over because of my hands. At work I constantly wash my hands which I know worsens the problem because they end u being so dry and tight after a 9 hour shift that I can barely move my hands.

I feel like this a combination of eczema / bad circulation and arthritis and allergy!

I haven't had ANY alcohol for 4 months.
I was a heavy smoker but have been off the cigarettes for almost 5 weeks now. I was expecting to see a difference as my Doctor always tells me that smoking effects my skin problem.
I am female, 5"7 and probably 10lbs heavier than I should be!
I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, I definitely do not have a problem with getting my daily intake of fluids!

My diet since being in Australia has been considerably healthier than my diet before arriving here! So I can't understand why all of a sudden I have got this problem. It's ruining my confidence as you cannot hide your hands and they are needed in every day life! It's hardest having to go to work, one week I rang in sick for the whole week because I couldn't bare to go out in public.
I wear latex gloves a work so my hands are covered so feel slightly less self conscious, and when I'm busy I tend to forget about the itch. I also keep the gloves on when I clean at the end of the night so as not to get chemicals on my hands BUT I've noticed in recent weeks that the start to itch when I clean even though I'm wearing gloves.
Also I have tried all sorts of emolient thick creams and even PawPaw ointment, I layer them on thick and wear moisture gloves night but end up ripping the gloves off and itching my hands.

I have suffered with insomnia for years and it subsided until this problem occured, now I rarely get sleep and if I do it's in short bursts as I wake up to itch!

After I read all these comments I am so glad I am not alone, although I feel all your pain! Going to try the Doctors one more time and make sure he stays focused on curing my hands!

Am also going to write a 'journal' noting my food intake, fluid intake, take note of chemicals ect at work and anything else I can think of that might effect my hands. I'll also write when itching occurs (although it seems to be constant at the moment) and review it to see if there's anything that might be a cause that I can eliminate.

I know this is long winded and not in the least bit helpful as I haven't found a cure, but I just wanted to share my experience.
I wish you all the best in finding a cure and hopefully I can find one too!
I have RA could that be whats causing the severe itching?
Exact semptoms happens to me for years. I guess i find out when those semptoms occurs.Every time I'm worried about something, when i'm stress, or watching excited movie,or something randomly bothering me... after a short while i feel the burning feeling in my palms, starts with normal itching and little burning, then the more i scratch, burning and itching gets worst. I had to hold my hand under runing cold water or hold a ice pack in my hands to stop it. You watch it from now on too. If you worry, or bother with something deep down, see if your itching will start?
thank you it was helpful.Ill ask my doctor. i printed your post:)
I FOUND THE DISEASE!!! HERE IS THE LINK BELOW!!

http://www.erythromelalgia.org/WhatisEM.aspx

THIS DISEASE CALLED   SHORTLY EM..
READ IT BELOW!! IF YOU GO TO OFFICIAL SIDE THEY HAVE EVEN PICTURES SHOWING THE HANDS AND FEET. SCROLL DOWN AND READ BELOW!!

Erythromelalgia is a rare and frequently devastating disorder that typically affects the skin of the feet or hands, or both, and causes visible redness, intense heat and burning pain.

The term erythromelalgia describes the syndrome: erythros (redness), melos (extremity) and algia (pain). An alternate name is “erythermalgia” that emphasizes the thermos (heat) – an essential part of the syndrome.

While usually affecting the lower extremities (legs and feet) and upper extremities (arms and hands) other body parts like faces or just ears or the nose may be involved. It usually affects both sides of the body, but can affect just one.

The associated pain and burning sensations can be extremely severe. People with EM often make major adjustments to their lifestyles to avoid flare-ups. Even in mild-to-moderate cases, normal functioning such as walking, standing, working, socializing, exercising, and sleeping may be impaired.

Precipitating factors include warm temperatures and even mild exercise. Cooling the hot body parts relieves the pain, as does elevating the affected areas. [The use of icy water is strongly discouraged as ice can damage the skin. Using a fan or cool water is suggested instead.]

Approximately five percent of those with EM have an inherited condition that research has shown to be caused by genetic mutations. These people usually have other members of their families with the syndrome.

The cause of EM is unknown in the vast majority of cases. Peripheral neuropathies underlie many, and in some cases EM may be secondary to other disorders like the blood disease polycythemia.
HERE IS THE NAME OF THE DISEASE: SCROLL BELOW AND READ THE ARTICLE. HOPE IT HELPS;)
Mine starts  and last for a day or 2 it happens once a month and it so bad that I can't hold anything or drive is there any solution
for those who have itching at night and no rash or dry skin could possably have atype of restless leg symptom,it effects the nerves in your hands and makes it feel like itching
I have the same problem.  Try soak your hands with HOT EPSOM SALT water for about 5 minutes.

I used about 5 good teaspoons of the EPSOM SALT.
Thank you for this very, hopefully, helpful information, and here's wishing you well.
I started having the same itchy burning hands about a month ago and it does drive me nuts like everyone else.
I will tell my dermatologist 23rd oct abt your experience and information. I have pemphigoid skin disease and maybe this could be the cause of my Erythmelagia. Pemphigoid is an auto-immune disease and the effect this has on the cells causes irruption on the skin, legs, chest and back in the form of what I call bubbles which are ulcers - and cause itching which I thought was bad enough until I got this itchiness on my hands which is much much worse and seemingly resistent to everything. Thankfully your post causes me some hope!
I have suffered from all of the above itch problems for over 30 years and it comes and goes. The only medication that stops it is mycalog and canalog. You need both because your body becomes immune to one after a while and you need to shift medication. It usually takes only one or two applications and is good for several months. Without the medication the itching never goes away.
Thank you! You are the first one that answered my question. I will check the web site. -Yvette B.
in 2008 doctor gave to me wrong cream to use on my penis
after i use all my penis skin changed like how snake changing his skin!!
i was its normal but at 2011 my penis skin become not to hold anything even i cant do sex because it hurts me after start eaching!
again other doctor gave to me cream Hydrocortisone really it help me about eaching but my penis skin still thin and hurts me and im really dont know what to do is there any one can give me advice because i want something can recover my penis skin
i want to know to make my penis skin thicker
also i want to know is Hydrocortisone helps the skin to make thicker or not?
thank u i wish i will get good answer from u
My hands are EXTREMELY itchy,,,when i scratch it makes it worst. No medecine i ever try from prescription EVER works. My best logical guess it's that the source of this matter comes from within, maybe something wrong in the blood?!!
Maybe blood vessels are having problem pumping blood into hands?!!, or maybe a problem with the nervous system?!!,,,this are the real questions you people should worry about.....!!!!!
i read that it might be a copper deficiantcy, i started taking a multi vitamin and almost imediatly the itching went away. it's only been 1 day but the results are for sure. i just hope the vitamins continues to work.
I had this start with me a couple weeks ago and was about to make appt. with my dr and my wife asked me if I might try an allergy pill, well i tried it and have been itch free for about 2 weeks now, I am taking the generic for zyrtec from walmart, it called wal-zyr, might try it, it worked for me so far. hope this helps
it's been a while for you.  i am in the same situation now.  did you find the problem or cure
Hello, I've had the exact problem for the past month...can't figure it out...thought it was the detergent I was using. Cut back on that...but every morning ...same thing...then heat. Did you ever find out what is causing your symptoms?
Hello. I also suffer from itchy hands.
At 53-years-of-age, there have been many attempts over the years to solve this issue with numerous remedies, to no avail.
Steroids may be a source of temporary relief, but not without side effects.
Unfortunately, steroids--and that includes over-the-counter- cortisone creams--can thin a person's bones.  
Here is a remedy which really helps: Rub the inside of a banana peel onto fingers, and all itchy parts. This really works well with elbow/knee excema as well. It is best to apply this twice a day, but mainly make sure this is done before retiring for the night. Occlusion of affected part is preferred.
If possible, tape thin strips of banana peel onto the skin overnight, covered with gloves. There are good waterproof band-aids on the market which work well with this.
In the morning, remove and wash with tepid water.
Another tip: Do not allow your hands to come into contact with any type of salt. This will set off a very bad reaction in most people.
For example, after brining (salting) a turkey for Thanksgiving 2012, I am still paying the price with very sore, itchy hands.
Last tip: Find good thick plastic, flexible gloves. Most gloves on the market are too tight, and have a talc inside which can irritate.
Find some industrial type gloves. These plastic gloves are large enough to not cramp the fingers.
Hello. I also suffer from itchy hands.
i have a condition called dishydrotic eczema, which causes itching and little water-filled blisters in between finger, on palms of hands, and soles of feet. This could be what u are all suffering from. There is no cure, and the only relief Ihave found was from a lotion called aveeno skin relief. Has menthol in it, which soothes the itch. Also, avoid any soaps that aren't hypoallergenic. Rubbing alcohol helps to dry out the water filled bumps, which are what causes the itching. But it stings like hell. The only other condition that causes this that I know of is scabies. So let's hope u all just have dishydrotic eczema....lol.
Topical ointments do not usually work on this type of itching.  Most of this is caused by the sulfates in our soap, shampoo etc.  Sulfates are the foaming agents.  Auto mechanics hose down their floors with sulfates.  Switching to sulfate free products helps.  Sulfates build up in your system, therefore it takes a while for them to leave the system.   BurtsBees products and Loreal shampoos are sulfate free.  It helped me.  I also take a Zyrtec every day.
I thought I was the only person who suffered as nobody else seemed to know what I was talking about - not even my GP who said he'd never heard of just itchy hands. I tried all the antihistamines going and eventually found that Benadryl Allergy Relief  (the one with acravistine) worked. However, 5 years down the line I now find I'm having to take up to 3 over an hour to get the relief that one used to give. Now I know that other people also suffer I'll go back to my GP. As I changed my surgery last year, I might have a more "with it" doctor this time.
Viewing 1-200 comments: