Dermatology Expert Forum
Severe Itching Head to Toe!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Severe Itching Head to Toe!

I have this severe itch that has lasted a few months off and on which starts at the top of my head and goes to my feet.  I see no rash except I do see some little red dots or little red bumps.  It's worse on my back, legs, arms, scalp,  Sometimes I feel as though something is crawling on me or sometimes I feel as though I cannot keep my arms and legs still.  I cannot sleep because of this.  It is worse at night but I do occassionally have it during the day (like right now).  it's the kind of itch that you scratch but cannot ever relieve.  I have tried everything.....creams, moisterizers...bath and body stuff....sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes it worse.  I also itch up my butt and up my front.  The itching feels like a prickley itch and feels like i have a very mild sunburn.  I just don't know what to do about this or even what this is.  I just know that I need to get some sleep!  Please help me.
I can't think of too many conditions which cause the kind of on-again-off-again itching you describe.

Does a roommate or sexual partner also itch?  Do you even have a rash along with the itch?  These questions need to be answered before definitive diagnosis can be given.

If I were you, I would make an appointment with a dermatologist, who may want to perform skin scrapings (for mites) or blood tests (for liver problems.)  Very likely, tests will discover neither and you'll be left with nodescript itch, perhaps stress-induced.

While waiting for the appointment, you may benefit from sarna lotion applied as needed, and Benadryl capsules 25 mg at bedtime.  Both require no prescription.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank You Doctor for getting back to me on this.  No, my husband does not have an itch at all and no, i can't say I have a rash either..just some little red bumps.  I do have fibromyalgia and I don't know if there is a connection with that or what but it's been going on way too long now.  I made an appointment for this Friday morning.  It's just very uncomfortable to say the very least and I get perhaps two hours of sleep between 4 and 6am.

Thanks for your time!
Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi Doctor Rockoff,

I just wanted to tell you that I went to the doctors and he really didn't know what this was either...he prescribed a lotion to put on.........Promasone or Pramasone and to stop using the body and bath gels and to use a bar soap.......i found that when I did that it dried out my skin more.......but i'm suppose to humor him here.  what would you recommend as a good bar soap over the counter that doesn't have alot of chemicals in it or a soap that does not dry out the skin.

Thanks.
Dove (unscented) seems to be the mildest regular bath and beauty bar. If I remember correctly, a major consumer outfit once reported much the same in their publication. I've always used Ivory since I left home and had to start buying my own stuff. If it has a "scent" it has an extra chemical in it. Good luck.
Dear Itching,
I have had the same problem since last June. It comes and goes but at least 3 to 4 times a week I am up all night itching... sometimes legs.. back.. scalp.. anywhere and everywhere.. at first the Benadryl seemed to sooth it but now it is no longer working. I havent seen a doctor for fear of the lack of a diagnosis or remedy. If you find anything that helps please let me know. It can be so miserable. I also know it isnt any type of mite because my husband nor my daughter suffers from this chronic itching. Good luck to you and hopefully sweet dreams!
Thanks for the suggestion about the unscented dove.  I used this one last night it was an oatmeal and almond bar soap and my skin was so dry after that i thought i was gonna die!  The lotion to me makes it worse that the doctor gave me.  I don't know, I don't think there is any cure for this at all and your right, it's not mites or everyone would be affected.....i'm the only one.  I wonder if it has something to do with the nerves in the body.....i don't mean mental state, i mean the nerve endings and nerves in the body......i wonder if this may have something to do with it since my itch anyway, seems to feel more internal than external and not being able to relieve the itch when i scratch.  I don't know what the answer is but if i ever find out what it is, i will report back so that you poor souls don't have to suffer any longer.
I also have the same symptoms as quietsound. It drives me crazy. I try to explain it to my girlfriend, she thinks I am crazy. My doctor is no help. For me, it's the very worst when I get a little excited or worked up about something; like maybe chasing the cat through the house or when I get mad at something when I'm working on the car or something stupid like that. Sometimes I get a rash around my neck and down my chest and back. It embharassing and depressing, I hate it. Reactin, which is like benadryl I think, helps a little.
I have had the same type of symptom...itching.  Fifth Disease was going around where I work, I went to a local rash clinic, they suggested going to my doctor because of charges.  Went to the back door of my doctor in case I was contagious, told me I was allergic to something.  Stopped anything new, took a five day dose of a strong steroid and was put on a seven day regimen of Zyrtec.  Came back within 2 to 3 weeks.  Same thing but was given 30 day regimen of Zyrtec.  Now after prescription ran out, have rash and intense itching again.  What is going on??  Didn't I hear that an "unexplained" rash had been reported to the CDC in Atlanta and reported in seven states?  Was told adults do not get Fifth Disease.  Guess my next step is to a dermatologist.  Hopefully one of us will get results.  Took Benadryl liquid tonight and once off here, I hope I get some relief.  Scrub brushes sure scratch the itch nicely!
I also have severe itching from head to toe.  I have been to a dermatologist twice.  The first time I was told it was dry skin--a very insulting diagnosis--like I would waste my money and time going to a dr for dry skin. The next visit was scheduled for a month later--I only waited a week before I called and asked for an earlier appt due to the miserable itching.  The dr prescribed steriod cream this time--still itching and it is spreading. I am living on benedrl and the steriod creams. If anyone has tried something that is working please let me know.
I've had on & off itchy spots that I've scratched until I BLEED.  Been to NUMEROUS dermatologists.  Used EVERY topical sterorid, & out of desperation used EMLA & ELA-Max (topical anesthetics) so I could have temporary relief to sleep.  

Even though I don't feel particularly stressed, my last Derm, at USC suggested I talk to my internist & try Prozac, kind of as a last resort.

After 1 month, I'm finally not itching!!!!!  I'm taking 20mg a day.  So far, it seems miraculous.  I can only hope it stays away permanently.
I have had exzema (eczema) for 28 years. I have ALWAYS itched. I live on Benadry 150mg every 4-5 hours.
I have my good days and then I have my normal days. I use steriod creams, anti itch creams you name it i used it.
I do have the exzema (eczema) undercontrol somewhat but not the itching. I was prescribed Doxepin and i have been taking it for about a week now. It seems that its an anti depressent but it has a side effect of not to itch, so it works at night but it does me no justice during the day..
I use dove, and tide and i try to stay away of everything i am allergic to(almost everything) its almost impossible though..
If i could live on chicken noodle soup i would probly stop the itch.
I too scratch myself till i bleed, i dont mean to, i even cut my nails down, my husband says hes going to put mits on me.
I also found that tanning helps ALOT
I go 2-3- times a week for 20 minss.. It has done wonders, now if i could just stop the itxh completly i would be GREAT. Isnt there something to numb the nerves of the itch or something?
well, i canceled the skin doctor cause all he said was i had dry skin and to humor him and i got so worse with the **** he put me on that i didn't go back........it was a complete mystery to him.  I'm already on anti-depressants and i know that it doesn't stop my itching............i just decided to give it up and not go to any doctors because it seems all treatments make it worse.........the next step I guess is to scrub my body with gasoline which is probably the only thing I haven't tried and pray to God no one lights a match!!........if anyone finds a true cure.......let me know.
Count me in with this also.  I have had this now for 25 years. No rash...just a horrid itch all over the body and the more I itch a spot the worse it gets and it jumps to another spot.  BUT, the strangest thing about this "30 year itch" is that it only comes in February and August every year. It lasts the whole month and then goes away until it is suppose to show up again.  I will not spend another dime on doctors for this. They do not have a clue...I have tried Aveeno and oatmeal baths and baths with aspirin in it, and creams and salves. I have changed my laundry soap, etc. etc. et.c etc.  Sometimes i get some relief with the over the counter cortisone itch creams that come in a tube.  Not the ointment but it stated "Cream" on the tube.

In my next life, I think I will become a Doctor (-:

I have had shingles for over 2 months now.There is still a small spot on the back of my neck. But now a;l of a sudden. I AM ITCHING ALL OVER. I am wondering if this is related to the shingles. I am also on dialysis. I take 50mgs. benadryl. It seems to help some. I have the same symptoms as the rest of you. Once I itch one spot. It seems to itch more out from that spot. I itch on my belly,under neith my arms,butt cheeks,inside and outside of legs and a little on my back. My hands do not itch. I am going to try and see a dermatoligist tomorrow. I am thinking this has something to do with my shingles. Maybe the nerves because when I itch. It's usually on A particular area and than the itch moves to another area of my body. I literally cry at night from this and start yelling and going crazy. The cremes and oils sometimes help a little or just make it worse. I don't think t is mites or other people here would have it too. Although our dog does have that black stuff i one of his ears so we are using mite stuff and it is better now.
   I will itch until I get red marks or scabs. I do not itch on top of my arms or my feet either. Although my neck itches some and the outside around my ears and a little on my face. Wish I kew what this is. I can not go on like this much longer... I will post what the dermatolists says later on... Right now my but burns from itching it. But nothing else itches but my butt. But I know in a little while my legs or underarms will itch..
s
So much for the dermatoligist. I ended up going to the Emergency room this morning. It is stupid how you can't even get in to see A dermatoligist until 2 weeks.
     The Doctor in te E.R. said I had SEVERE DERMATITIS. I over heard him saying he was going to give me solu medrol injection. Than he changed his mind and gave me something that started with A K. Also picked up A prescription for HYDROXZINE 50mg. 3 times A day. Should help me sleep. It is A antihisimine. After my shot I still itched. So I went and picked up some ((EUCERINE CREME)) and ((VITAMIN E with ALOE VERA SKIN OIL.)) The EURINE CREME seemed to releive A lot of itching and Than an hour later I folled up with the Vitamin E Oil. It works pretty good and when I get A new itch I just hit it with the Vitamin E oil and it works. Although I have to keep putting it on certain areas after my skin soakes it up.
My arms itch every evening and uring a stressful day.
I have tried everything, but think I will try staying out of the sun.
Let me know any better solutions.
Ihave the same itch as describeed by quietsound and many of you guys. I have an intense itch that only gets worse at night and I cant sleep. The only difference in my case is that my boyfriend has broken out too. But his rash looks totally different. Its mainly concentrated onhis back and chest and its terrible! Its a combination of small bumps and larger raised flattened welps ( if that makes any sense) I went to the doctor about mine and I got the universal answer."Your allergic to something"
Thanks doc.The first doctor put me onsome medicine that did absolutely nothing but make me sleepy. The second doctor I went to told me it could be anything and tested me for syphilis which came back negative. He put me on a 6 day steriod which really worked then as soon as the pills were gone the itching came back but not the rash. now my stomach, arms and back itch like crazy but there are no bumps. except a few small ones on my arms. i dont have any insurance and i dont have a lot of money so im not going tpo come out of pocket again to hear "your allergic to something, here, take these sleeping pills and dont call me in the morning." I have found that a nice icecold washcloth at night seems to help ,me get some sleep. Take a shower right before you go to bed, dry off, dont apply any lotions,fill a large bowl up with ice and put a washcloth in it. when the itching starts, slap that washcloth onit andyou should be able to sleep for a couple of hours. Just wanted to help you guys because nobody could understyand the misery of what were going through. good luck guys and keep me posted if u find the cure!
I too have severe itching.  It started in January and it is now Mid April. It started with a rash on my back.  Now it is on my arms and legs and I have scratched until I bruise or bleed.  I can not believe what I am doing to my body.  I have seen four doctors and all have told me it is a uticaria, idiopathic meaning, untermined origin.  Basically, what that means is that I have hives and they can not help me.  I have been on hundreds of dollars of OTC meds and 16 different perscription drugs, including zyrtec, claritin, allegra, atarax, doxepin, uvate, pramasone, lidex, ditrolene etc, etc, etc.  The itch is much worse in the afternoon and at night.  It gets worse when I scratch, developing red bumps, with white welts under my skin.  It moves around but basically I never have a moment that I am not itching and scratching.  I am a Registered Nurse and I work in the Open Heart Surgical area and it is interferring with my work.  I do not believe one minute that the doctors know what is wrong or have treated me appropriately.  I am very frustrated and don't know what to do next.  THe allergist says I should go to a university setting to a specialist.  Why?
Everyone with a itch:  Try Aloe Vera gel in the liquid form, like the kind you drink. Chill it in the fridge and then pour it on a washcloth. It seems to give me a little bit of relief. Takes away the burning sensation that I sometimes get. I never would have believed so many people live with constant itching. My arms have broken out in some kind of rash and I am just miserable. I will get to the dermatologist this week--but I have tried everything imaginable. nothing works for very long, but the aloe vera works for about and hour or so.
Cheers!
I too suffered from severe head to toe itching last December. It started after what I thought was a bout with the flu. Kept me awake at night, OTC antihistamines were no relief, and Aveeno and Benadryl creams made it worse. After about 1 week of anguish (and on the day I saw my PCP), I broke out in a red blotchy complete body rash. PCP decided to treat it like an allergy, with Allegra, then Medrol dose pack. Finally after a week of the Medrol, symptoms abated. (Thank God!)

Turns out, it was a case of mono. The virus affected my liver function. I wasn't processing my toxins effectively, and thus the symptoms. Go figure!

For those of you with no relief from creams, antihistamines or steroids, ask your PCP for a liver panel. You never know...

-- Caroline
I also suffer from SEVER itching.  However, along with the itching, my feet, hands, lips and area around my eyes get swollen. It is very uncomfortable.  I have had this for about 4 years now. I've been to numerous doctors who have told me that I suffer from panic attacks to imangined symptoms.  I finally went to an allergist and he told me that I have chronic uticria. He told me that he does not know what causes it and there is nothing that he can do.  I had a skin test performed and I found out that I'm allegeric to everything.  I have used zyrtec, clartin, atarax and dosepin. I have also tried various herbal medicines and nothing seems to work.  Right now I'm taking Zyrtec twice daily as a preventive medicine and atarax when ever I start to feel itchy or red bumps appear.  It seems to work, but my body is getting used to the medication I have to up my doses every once in a while.  I've been doing some research on this and I found an allergy shot that is supposed to work.  I'm thinking about asking my dr about it because I am getting tired of relying so much on my medication.  It is so nice to know that I'm not the ONLY one with this type of problem.
Has anyone thought of scabies?
I had the same symptoms, intense itching, bumps and some open sores.  Itched till I bled.  Several doctors misdiagnosed me.
Anyone out there ever heard of the "seven year itch"?  And I don't mean the infidelity type eicher!!!  Everysince I was a youngster, my skin just reeks with itching.  Right now I am so Bad, I can't wear shorts, tee-shirts, even short dresses.  I itch til I bleed, then scabs form, then I'm picking at them to relieve the itch.  Been to Dermotoligists, reg. MD's, you name it.  I feel like I should live in a "Bubble" to see if my skin would calm down.
hi, my daughter is a happy to be 5 year old, in the past three years she has seveloped a skin condition that i can not seem to get rid of.  She will scratch until she is bleeding all over her body. We have been to several doctors, filled 13 perscriptions, and have followed dr orders to the tee and still no change in her condition. My mother in law has a sever form of psorasis everyone that sees my daughter sayd she must have gotten it from her grandma, six doctors have sid it is not the same thing although it looks just like it.I have been at my wits end just watching her suffer and my heart bleeds to all of you that suffer from this condition, I have found one thing that helps my baby, I give her a really warm bath and then cover her in  "EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL 100%" before i even pet her dry.  If this is done right before bed she sleeps throughout the night.  The newest doc says to do this every night to keep her from loosing so mush sleep and causing scars all over her  little body.(also sleep in 100% cotton WHITE) pj)  summer is here and i am having trouble keeping the bugs off of her, she breaks out with insect repellants...any suggestions???
Try giving your daughter a garlic tablet every day.  This repels the insects.  You are not supposed to be able to smell the garlic on a person when they are taking pills, but I have found that with some brands you can.  Keep trying until you find one that works for you.
To those of you who suffer with severe itching on feet and hands, try taking chewable acidophilus.  I am not normally a believer in herbal medicines, but this offers some relief for me.
Also, because of years of suffering with severe itching, I have finally starting looking at what goes IN my body instead of just what I put on it. I have observed that sugars and starches aggravate my itching, if not cause it directly.  I have just started researching the acid/alkaline balance in the body.  We Americans eat WAY TOO MUCH sugar.  Sugar does upset the ph balance of our bodies. I am currently trying Wheat Grass supplements to keep my body balanced with good results.  I could write a book on what does NOT work, as could most of you.  
Also, I got the idea to check the water at my house, because of severe itching after a shower. I just used my kids swimming pool test kit. The water was EXTREMELY alkaline.  I am trying to figure what to do to correct this.  Any ideas?  We do have a water treatment system for our well water.
For the past three to for months I have developed a very annoying itch. It starts on my legs and gradually makes its way to my arms and back. It is really annoying and drives me nuts. I have been to doctors and dermatologist who insist there is nothing wrong as I do not have any rashes or spots but every days it is ther to greet me. They say it is stress but I do not feel stressed. I have used most antihistamines but nothing really works. I am now taking 25mg of Atarax three times a day and get only mild relief. Can anyone tell me what it might be other than the normal stress that the doctors keep saying it is.
My brother experienced severe itching (especially at night). He was prescribed several different creams by several different doctors over a 2 year period, none had any effect. After 2 years he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease. Severe itching is one of the first (usually over looked) symptom. Within 3 treatments his itchiness stopped and has not returned.
I never had this until now...a month ago I startd itching on the inside of my elbow, then it travelled to the next , then my legs, my back...it was horrible..too much scratching produced welts. I racked my head thinking what it could be. I am a vegan....so there isn't much that I eat that I havent had 100 times before. So here I am AGAIN. Itching my palms, scalp, shoulders, chest...legs..They turn into hives. I dont know what to do. My doctor said to get a cortisone cream...it doesnt work. I take baths, put on the lotion....EVERYTHING...Has anyone been diagnosed with itching due to stress...I am despressive..So maybe that is it.Yet, it does not seem as if I were depressed or stressed out the day I started itching...I cant Sleep...I am uncomfortable..Its worse at night, 23 yr old female...I dont know what to do? HELP!
After reading quietsounds paragraph about using gasoline for itch, and tears rolling down my cheeks with laughter, I must say I had thought about gasoline myself.  I have had itching on my right upper arm off and on for about 5 years.  Things that work, on occasion, are putting a wet washcloth in the microwave until almost too hot to handle (less than a minute), then putting it on itch areas.  As hot as you can stand it.  It used to work all the time. Now it only lasts a short while and I resort to peroxide, alcohol, ammonia, vicks (which worked great a few times), and anything that is handy in medicine cupboard.
Some days the itching is accompanied by a deep ache in the upper arm bone, so bad it brings a yell of pain.  I won't even approach a doctor, cause I know I will get the same comments and/or prescriptions other persons with this mystery itch get.
When I considered gasoline, never thought anyone else could be as desperate as I.  And I try the tanning bed thing too.  Just helps for a sort while.
Have been itch free for 24 hours. Went to health store and read labels until I found anti-microbial cream for scrapes and abrasions. Doesn't say for itching, has an assortment of things in it, not tested on animals, and about 8$. Rubbed it on as soon as I got in the van and itching almost immediately stopped.  Didn't wake up last night searching for something to put on it, and this morning still no itch.  It has tea tree oil plus a lot of other natural ingredients. Don't know which worked, don't care. The brand is Desert Essence from England, but looked up on Google and it has distributors here.  I can't believe I am not itching.
Hope it continues to work, but just the 24 hour relief is a blessing.
http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_acne.htm
I found this site to be very useful. It's for acne treatment, but has good information on overall skin health...which most of us need.
Put apple cider vinegar in a warm bath and relax.  Relief will last a varying amount of time.  The applecider part is important.  So is taking a liquid B Complex orally every day.  Most of us need that.  Vit E and Aloe topically also helped me.
I found that my itching (especially in the rectum area) was a reaction to Rx drugs.  I stopped taking them one by one until I found the culprit.
A holistic health care worker gave me this info...mostly from the research of Adelle Davis.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

I've been itching now for over a year and no Doctor can tell me what it is... I itch till I bleed, have sores as results on both arms, chest, and noticiably on front and back of scalp.  No my legs are starting to itch.  It comes and goes, haven't lost sleep over it, and really haven't seen a pattern of when the "scratching spree's" start.  the sores, have just been visiably imbarrasing, although I have noticed I scratch when I'm nervous or stressed.
As explained in another entry on this website,
the itching is from non-ionizing radiation exposure.
Its most common from cell phone use or exposure from cellular towers that are near by.  The levels of these signals are the highest in UK, in second place USA and Canada.  China recently reduced its coverage strength by 50%.  Sweden has been at the lowest level for some time.  Spain Judge just ordered 2000 cell towers to be removed after school children became very ill.  North america is electromagnetically sensitive.  EMF is everywhere as technology advanced there will be more.  Few family doctors have heard of this, but many scientist are very familiar, they have many studies shown on the world health organization website as well as others.  Im not upset at Doctors, especially my own, its the media that is not expressing the clear health warning, it mentions some but also states words such as "incomplete". Many feel if this is not completely one way or the other that there should be more coverage on this, and materials sent to doctors.  As the wireless industry constantly adjusts thier equipment the symptoms change. One day its dry eyes, next its dry itchy hands, next others i cant mention.
Im for technology, but only when its safe.  If its not safe and causing so many people to be irratated all day and night is it worth it?  Hope this helps people, read up on emf, ems, rfr.

http://www.medhelp.org/NIHlib/GF-355.html

http://www.energyfields.org
ok everyone, this is going to be hard to handle since we all want to think our bodies are seperate from our mental processes, but my severe itching is nerve-related. some of you on this forum sound similar to me, with the head-to-toe itch that is constant for hours at a time, with no rash or lesions other than the ones you create by scratching. it has to be related to anxiety, producing a nervous reaction similar to a histamine reaction. i basically itch all the time except when drunk, because there simply isn't anything to arouse my nerves when i have alcohol in my system.  (i know that sounds bad, and i don't mean to say i drink a lot, its just noticably absent when i have.)  and it gets worse when you think about it, causing an inevitable chain reaction. our brains are over-producing fight-flight hormones and our bodies are reacting to these hormones by itching. it used to be REAL bad whenever i thought i was waking up my boyfriend or whoever i had to sleep next to. i actually never slept in our bed at the end of our relationship b/c i would itch like hell, and then be fine on the couch and sleep. mine is ALL nerve-related. i've been tested for fungus, scabies, allergens, etc. unfortunately, these md's don't know jack about nervous disorders, and they will keep giving you creams as long as you keep giving them your money. its in your head and therefore its no wonder that prozac if used correctly for anxiety can tame the itching. i just stopped giving a s**t and still itch but don't think about it much, and its better.
Does anyone else begin by itching and then discover that your skin inflames like giant welps wherever you scratch? It looks like I have whip marks all over my back and body and sometimes they form by touching my clothes or a table or a necklace. It seems like I'm allergic to everything around me. Once one space stops itching, another begins. I've noticed that my own hair on my skin makes me itch like mad. I've tried all the over the counter itch creams and that makes it worse. The only reason Benedryl makes any difference is due to the fact that it makes me so drowsy, all my concentration is aimed at keeping awake. When I'm out with friends this keeps me from having fun because I just sit there and scratch, and sometimes it's not in the most convenient places! I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT. Perhaps if I was constantly in the shower, I would stop itching. My theories are that it is unhealthy diet, lack of fibers maybe? I don't think going to a doctor will help though! I don't understand why being stressed would create itching. The worst part is the horrible hives that completely cover me! It looks like I was in a fire and have been scarred, and then they just dissapear. AHHHHH.
My daughter has had severe itching--was on Zyrtec for two years.  This summer we had extensive (skin) food testing done and she is now completely off antihistamines.  She had massive food allergies--esp to mint and oregano.  She now controlls it with histamine shots and diet.  She is also taking some shots to lower the allergic reactions permanently.  Hope this helps some of you.
I can relate to your discomfort big-time! I developed clusters of raised red bumps in my elbow area and behind my knees; they itched somewhat. Now the rash is gone, except when I scratch. At night, all night, I scratch and dig at the skin on both arms and behind my knees until I bleed and jump out of bed seeking relief. I have seen my GP and a dermatologist to no avail. Like many of you, I have been prescribed steroid creams, numbing creams and antihistimines. I have used every OTC anti-itching soaps and creams and lotions known to humankind. My dermatologist says it's "probably atopic dermatitis." His treatment is worthless. All that happens with the four different creams I have used is that my skin is so thin over my elbows that my skin tears when I scratch. I get the short-term hives or wheals or whatever, along with a red blotchy rash on my arms every night. I have bruises and skin tears - self inflicted. My itchy arms and legs arrived as a respiratory (bronchitis) infection ended. Like you, the severe itchiness is worse at night though I have to wrap my arms tightly with thick ace bandages during the day in an effort not to scratch. I am on antidepressants, have been for years. My environment and diet have not changed. I am a healthcare administrator and at a point where I can hardly function due to lack of sleep and itchiness when awake. My problem is affecting my 30-year marriage as I keep my spouse awake nights, though I try not to. I have used vicks, prescription creams, antihistamines, both prescription and OTC. I am taking clarinex and 150 mg of benadryl every 4 hours now but am wasting my time. When I go to the dermatologist monthly, he doesn't see much and labels it atopic dermatitis. Can anyone help please?

Someone just mentioned a topical anti-itch medication on a different skin board. The woman said it has helped her immensely.

She has "pruritis" like you, no known cause. Pruritis simply means itching.

The medication is called Pruroxin. I don't know about side effects or interactions with other meds you are taking.

http://www.healthpoint.com/content/news/pr080900.htm

If it helps, please post and let us know!

Best wishes.
Mary
(Skin Researcher)
I am having much the same kind of itch that was mentioned by several, but it looks more like little goosebumps and can barely be seen.  Truth is I am an alcoholic, and I do have pronounced liver disease.  I keep falling off the wagon and have been detoxed professionally, but this itch is something I kind of remembered from that detoxin the hospital for gastritis and other internal bleeding. I'm trying to do this withdrawal on my own, which I'm sure no one recommends. I know I need to quit or I'm going to be dead soon, so I don't need that advice.  But, could this itch be a rash from alcohol withdrawal, or the liver disease?  How long should I expect it to last?  I've tried alternative means, such as hydrogen peroxide and hot water baths, to make it wet, then putting some sort of unscented cream on it (which I've found is best to be vasaline for me, if that helps anyone) It's a messy mess, but it helps with the itch.  I'm also on a beta blocker, Inderal.  I've complicated my condition with the alcohol I'm sure.  Will the Inderal make me itch more until this rash subsides, and should I prepare to see the rash again if I stay off the alcohol.  I've stayed off, but it keeps seeming to return once a week or so for the last month.  Thanks in advance.
Just as recently as yesterday, I began to itch all over. I feel little quick sharp itches constantly. I have bad seasonal allergies, and at first just thought I needed to take an Allegra. But it did not help at all. My hypocondriac side is hoping that it is not a parasite. I stayed up late last night (couldn't sleep if I wanted to) to examine my skin at the site of every itch, and saw nothing. But the thought of bugs on my skin seemed to be the only explanation. Does anyone have any thoughts to offer? It gets worse the more I think about it. Coincidentally, I just visited with a friend over the weekend who had the same thing happening to her. Her doctor told her he could not figure out what it was. She did not have a thing wrong with her as far as the doc could see. She said it all of the sudden went away also. So, I am hopeful, but in the meantime, going nuts!!
My Father has had the same itching problems for many years.  It's called Dermatagraphism.  People who have this usually end up finding what works best for them. Some studies have shown that a low dose anti depressant such as Elavil (amitryptaline) given at night (because it makes you a little drowsy) can help reduce the itching sensation.  Others take antihistimine related drugs.  But one thing is for certain, you cannot just take medicine when you have an attack you must take your medicine to PREVENT an itching attack. Once my Father learned to take his meds daily to prevent the itching attack it seemed to work MUCH better.  Dermatagraphism has also been thought to link with preasure, body heat, and histamine reaction to it.  Histamines are the little alarms that are going off in your body telling you to itch cause there is something allergic or foreign on or in your body.  In this case its a malfunction of the histamines and your body.  Another good idea is to keep a diary of weather patterns even the relative humidity to see if you have flares at certain times of the year during certain seasons or temperatures.  As always check with your doctor and ask them about Dermatagraphism Best Wishes! Angel
p.s. remind me about this site if you need to contact me, as I'll probably forget the address to this website
I also suffer from severe itching.  Iam up most of the night digging at my skin until it is red and raw.  I have tried taking zyrtec, atrax, ect. But only get temp. relief. Iam now pregnant-which makes it that much worse..plus i have to be careful what i can and can not take.  When i was on prozac i never noticed the itching...so could it be all neurological??  If anyone has any answeres please help!  b/c i still have 4 more months until my baby is due and i dont know if i can take much more of this!
Hi There ... I posted this to another question earlier ... it might be of interest to some of you so I copied it here for you ...

... I too am searching for relief from the itching. I have seen allergists, dermatologists and doctors to no avail.

Searching the net I came across some others suffering the same symptoms ... one mentioned large doses of niacin (B-3) ... I researhced this and found sufficient information that I myself felt confident to start taking it.

Note ... taking large does of nicin can be dangerous ... you should likely clear everything with your doctor ... they will have to do ongoing liver function tests to make sure you are not damaging yourself. Also, many papers warn against the time release form of niacin ... this apparently has damaged peoples livers.

Personally ... I take 1500 mg niacin x 3 times a day (every 8 hours). This is 3 x 500 mg pills ... they cost about $35 for 500 pills up here in Canada ... and you can get it over the counter ... it is not a prescription drug. Also ... at night I also take 1 benadryl and 1 allegra. If I miss the niacin by even 1 hour I start itching. Do not start at 1500 mg ... start at either 500 or 1000 mg ... only move up if you absolutely have to. My doctor told me that the maximum daily dose I can go up to is 6000 mg per day ... I am a 200 lb male.

I also found reference to this treatment under something like orthomolecular therapy having to do with megadoses of vitamins ... it has been used to treat schizophrenics and alcoholics among other things. See Dr Hoffer's research. I do not have the exact web page ... but you might want to start searching from ...

http://www.islandnet.com/~hoffer/hofferhp.htm

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:3xIHgG62QRwC:www.orthomed.org/links/papers/hofschz.htm+hoffer+niacin+saskatchewan+manitoba&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Also ... please be aware, especially the first time, that you will experience a nicin rush ... you are not dying or having some fatal attack ... although some won't get this ... you will likely feel an extremely warm feeling emanating from your forhead and going down your limbs and trunk. After the first few days you will not feel this anymore. Actually the first time it was quite a rush ... I sort of wish it would happen all the time :)

Once you have gotten past this keep taking it every 8 hours like clockwork ... otherwise you will feel some itching.

As to washing ... I only use Pears soap (everything else makes me too itchy) and I only wash my privates, underarms and feet ... I use Nizoral on my hair (and occassionally on my pubic hair and eyelids). The rest of my body I only rinse with warm water. I have found that my itching is also less if I soak in a clean tub of clear water without using any soap.

I have to keep pants or sweatpants on all the time as my legs get very itchy otherwise ... as the moisture or sweat evaporates.

Prior to this treatment, at one point a fan was blowing across my legs at it was extremely painful.

I have had this since approximately 1987-1988 ... it has been extremely taxing ... I have gone many nights and days without sleep.

The other day I came across a web site and the person was found to have Sjogren's Syndrome ... I will have to get some testing to see if this is it (long shot). Researchers at the UNiversity of Toronto and Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto have potentially found a cure for Sjogren's ... but it will be a few years before it gets into clinical trials.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lynnec21/jolynnFrame1Source1.htm

http://www.sjogrens.org/research/news/resnews8_10.07.02.html

Good luck to all. Hopefully we can find a cure for this.

--------

Addition info

... the niacin also seems to increase libido a little ... at least for me ...

... niacin seems to dilate the capillaries ... the additional blood flow appears to flush histamines away from the skin's surface ... thus after the flush the itching reduces substantially and often will go away for long periods of time
My friend had these same symptoms he was finally diagnosed with a gluten allergy, after eliminating gluten from his diet he has been itch free!!
My mother and most of my family suffer from RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome). It feels like things crawling under the skin, and usually hits at night. You have to keep moving your legs to get any relief. Mom took Sinemet, and it helped for the last two years of her life, but the price you pay is that when the symptoms return, they return with greater intensity. A lot of doctors have never heard of this problem, so your doctor may not know about it.

Hope this helps.
I am a 28 year old male and I have extreme itching to where I cannot sleep only after tanning.
A related discussion, Horrible Itching All Over - What is It? was started.
A related discussion, itching arms was started.
A related discussion, Iching was started.
A related discussion, Is this scabies was started.
A related discussion, Severe Itching especailly at Night was started.
Every day I itch. I swear its this house I'm living in. I live with my 80 year old in laws and my husband n 2 sons. No one else itches but me. I cry alomost evry night cuz it keeps me awake til the wee hours while everyone else sleeps. I've gotten to the point where I get so mad that I take my scratcher and scratch repeatedly all over til I see scratch marks. By the next morning, it looks like I got in a fight because I have huge bruises and cuts all over me. I can't take it anymore!!! Its driving me nuts!! Over a month now!!!
I also have the itch & I mean I really understand I know how you feel because thats exactly that way I feel I just visited the doctor today & the told me that this condition is called   scabies & is kind of like a bug he told me.to use this shampoo called NIx u buy it over the counter this is also use to kill the head lice after you take a shower you put it all over your body & wash it 8 -14hours then you repeat it after seven days he said to take benadryl for.the itch because the shampoo is gonna kill the bug
A related discussion, Itchy People was started.
i Also suffer from this "itch" except i get white bumps that kind of look like worts. These bumps only come up when i scratch. I only get itchy from aroun 10pm at night and occasionly during the day. I have been told that it is my brain and too many nerves  are being sent out to parts of my body. I've tried everything to help but nothing ever does. I'm in my senior year at school and this itch is not helping my studies because of the lack of sleep.
I been having the itchy arms as well bumps comes up I end up scratching the bumps off and of course u see it starts to bleed a little I can wake up an have little blood smears on my sheets I don't know what's happening wit my skin. Help anybody thks  
A related discussion, Itching was started.